The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does weapon damage affect staffs?

Sawzallz
Sawzallz
✭✭✭
I found a set in fungal grotto the slayer one sorry I forgot the name but the set bonus gives weapon damage and berserk at all times
  • DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dreugh king slayer
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's the set I got a staff with that set
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The DKS bonuses (major brutality) and weapon damage bonuses will not affect staff ability or staff LA/HA damage as far as I know (those are all dependent on spell damage). As such, the dreugh kings totem (named drop that is most likely what you got) is not a particularly useful piece.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    The DKS bonuses (major brutality) and weapon damage bonuses will not affect staff ability or staff LA/HA damage as far as I know (those are all dependent on spell damage). As such, the dreugh kings totem (named drop that is most likely what you got) is not a particularly useful piece.

Unless you are using Pelinal´s Aptitude
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're talking Pelinal's Aptitude, you'll have to do some research on that specific set to see what all it carries over, because due to the damage formula you'd still not get the full power bonus of either weapons or magic just by transferring weapon or spell damage (crit and max magicka/stamina for example also affect damage).

But yeah, any staff damage or magicka based ability are based off of spell damage, spell crit, and magicka, whereas all other weapons and stamina based abilities are based off of weapon damage, weapon crit, and stamina. The only exceptions are some damage shields (most of which scale off of magicka stats), some abilities based off specific attributes (like health or percentages), ultimates (which are I believe almost always based off stamina or magicka stats, whichever is higher), and summoned pet stats (which I am not the most knowledgable about but I think mostly scale off stamina stats). Buffs like Berserk (major or minor) only affect spell or weapon damage, never both. That's why a lot of defensive tank abilities will give both Ward and Resolve buffs, to increase spell and physical resistance, instead of just one buff.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On this subject ...does the gladiators set buff staff. La and ha...Says 1800 weapon damage to light and heavy attacks.
    Im guessing it does not.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »
    On this subject ...does the gladiators set buff staff. La and ha...Says 1800 weapon damage to light and heavy attacks.
    Im guessing it does not.

The 1, 2, 3, and 4 piece bonuses do not. They only add weapon damage, which only affects things already using that stat. According to the tooltip, it should add weapon damage to your staff if you're using a light or heavy attack, but I'm not sure if that's the case. Regardless, the 5 piece bonus is generally considered underwhelming in most scenarios, and even then, should probably only be in consideration for a stamina based build. If you have a magicka build, you want to increase spell damage over weapon damage, and if you're a hybrid, there are better set options. Outside of that, a cursory glance at google results, and the lack of reddit access, you may have to go in game and test to see if the 5 piece bonus actually affects staff light and heavy attacks.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i used this set for a short time and i shrugged my shoulder at the difference, it did not seem to apply much increase.
    In-fact, it is the same as cast a 20% damage increase, the only difference is that with this set you don't have to cast that buff, because it is permanent, and to me seemed like not much of a noticeable amount

for example:
    hit the enemy with 1206 damage with normal skills.
    hit the enemy with 1474 damage with dreugh king slayer set.

i was finding other sets much more rewarding and diverse in Greater Damage and defense.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be wiser to research 6 traits & build some armor of Mechanical Acuity, because from what I heard, it is a set that performs better than Julianos/Hundings Rage, DPS wise.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alpha-Lupi wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be wiser to research 6 traits & build some armor of Mechanical Acuity, because from what I heard, it is a set that performs better than Julianos/Hundings Rage, DPS wise.

With Summerset, you should be able to wear both sets plus a monster set, which will be awesome.