Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best solo class?

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aesanor wrote: »
    Ty so much for all the answers, I think I've come down to magsorc and magplar because I see that many people say that the nightblade class in general is not an easy class to learn the game with. So.. if anyone of you wants to convince me for magplar over magsorc or viceversa so that I can make up my mind even more it would be awesome. Anyway ty so much <3

MagSorc has more CC, better tools for MagDPS and pets. The main theme is dark and lightning magic.

MagPlar has more self healing capabilities, an excellent all around skill that deals damage and heals at the same time and is a good allround class. The main theme is holy / light damage.

It just comes down to what you like more. Petsorc is overall the easiest build to play in this game.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm a new player and I'm still trying to figure which class should I level to 50 first. Every time I start a new mmo i waste entire days struggling with deciding wich class to play, So I need your help in order to make this decision. I would like to play the best class for soloing (PVE for now), because I don't have any friends that play eso and I'd like to be able to solo as much content as possible because I enjoy not having to rely on other players. Atm I'm enjoying magicka playstyle more than stamina, I like to play as a caster. If you want feel free to rank the classes from best to worst (or vicecersa, as you prefer.) Ty so much for your help

Don't ever touch stamblade until you're a master at the game. Trust me, it'll save you tons of time, endless frustration and what not trying to figure out how to play a class that can't ever be played solo unless u CP-PVP Gank.

Stamblade brought me to quitting the game several times and people laughing at me. Really not worth it.

OP asked about PVE, not pvp.

• PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    I'm a new player and I'm still trying to figure which class should I level to 50 first. Every time I start a new mmo i waste entire days struggling with deciding wich class to play, So I need your help in order to make this decision. I would like to play the best class for soloing (PVE for now), because I don't have any friends that play eso and I'd like to be able to solo as much content as possible because I enjoy not having to rely on other players. Atm I'm enjoying magicka playstyle more than stamina, I like to play as a caster. If you want feel free to rank the classes from best to worst (or vicecersa, as you prefer.) Ty so much for your help

tl;dr
    Which class is FOTM?

Solo PvE would be mag Templar. with their jabs ability, it's a one-button win.
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say for starters a Magic Sorcerer. They have pets. Clanfear to tank...imp to damage and the twilight to heal. Sorcs have some good shields as well as great damage both single target and AoE. When i first started in ESO I ran a sorc and i was soloing world bosses back before i even had any Champion Points.

A magic warden would be my 2nd choice if you are just starting out. It has a healing tree, a tanking tree, and a pet focused (DPS) tree. It's seems tailored made for newcomers into the game for the first time.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    Hi all,

Don't ever touch stamblade until you're a master at the game. Trust me, it'll save you tons of time, endless frustration and what not trying to figure out how to play a class that can't ever be played solo unless u CP-PVP Gank.

Stamblade brought me to quitting the game several times and people laughing at me. Really not worth it.

Really? Stamblade was my first character. I had no issues with him. You just have to be aware and dodge specials and stay out of the red. They have enough self-healing abilities that they are actually pretty durable. Add Briarheart and Bahraha's Curse armor sets, and they become damn near unkillable.

The below abilities have a self-healing component:

Bloodthirst
    Blood Craze
    Killer's Blade
    Soul Tether
    Funnel Health
    Rend

Armor Sets:
    Briarheart - When you deal Critical Damage, you have a 10% chance to increase your Weapon Damage by 449 for 10 seconds. While this effect is active, your Critical Strikes heal you for 609 Health.

Bahraha's Curse - When you deal damage, you have a 25% chance to create desecrated ground for 5 seconds, which reduces the Movement Speed of enemies within by 70%, damages them for 1138 Magic Damage every 1 second and heals you for 100% of the damage done.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pet Stam Sorc
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamsorc,
    StamWarden,
    MagBlade,
    MagSorc.

In that order.

Sorry if you prefer mag but stam is just generally stronger for solo content. The toons are tankier, have better sustain, and in the case of the Sorc and Warden, that have stronger heals than any mag toons, are also better in that department. The advantages that mag toons used to have in regards to self heals and shields are gone in the case of the heals (stamsorc and stamwarden have stronger self heals than any mag toon) and you can no longer afford to cast the shields much at all so they are not worth much. Solo ranged gives you no advantage as you have no tank. I might also add that bow has been buffed a lot, SWarden has some good ranged damage, and people are actually selling stam range a little short these days. It is not as weak as people pretend.

In any content not requiring for mechanics reasons a shield for a specific one hit AOE or range stam is overwhelmingly dominant. This is even more the case in PVP where the whole snare, speed, and LOS differential exists.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »
    The advantages that mag toons used to have in regards to self heals and shields are gone ... you can no longer afford to cast the shields much at all so they are not worth much ...
    Wut?
    confused24.gif

My Mag Pet Sorc has 100% shield uptime. One Hundred Percent. And no resource issues.

• Llaren_Uvayn
    Llaren_Uvayn
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Magplar is probably the easiest solo with because the rotations are dead simple. Petsorc too, but I never liked the look of the daedric pets tbh.
    PS4 / EU

Sadryn Hlervu: Warden tank
    Llaren Uvayn: Templar healer and faithful Tribunal servant
    Ashanabi Addunipu: Ashlander mercinary from the grazelands
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, magicka nightblade on a non-bomber profile is trash for solo
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »
    The advantages that mag toons used to have in regards to self heals and shields are gone ... you can no longer afford to cast the shields much at all so they are not worth much ...
    Wut?
    confused24.gif

My Mag Pet Sorc has 100% shield uptime. One Hundred Percent. And no resource issues.

This is true. I didn't think of those heavy attack pet sorcs. Not so easy to do much shielding on my mNB that needs to proc that stupid relentless focus.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ty so much for all the answers, I think I've come down to magsorc and magplar because I see that many people say that the nightblade class in general is not an easy class to learn the game with. So.. if anyone of you wants to convince me for magplar over magsorc or viceversa so that I can make up my mind even more it would be awesome. Anyway ty so much <3

For solo MagTemplar Restoring Aura (or its morph: Repetance) is best as healing skill. It cost no magicka to use, but need corpses do heal (meaning that you need to have kills around like mobs; for bosses you need an independent heal) and it will buffs all three stats regen with 10% while slotted.

I find it is much easier to use Lightning staff for heavy attacks and that Lightning staff works will Sorc, Warden and Templar better then Inferno or Ice (be aware that heavy attack from Ice staff will taunt and blocking with ice active on bar will use magicka instead of stamina). On back bar use Restoration staff as it will be faster to restore magicka with heavy attack and increase healing from passives. You also get access to a shield (Ward) that both heals and protect you and at least one more (depending on morph). Mutagen (morph) is good as starting ability which can do cleanse of DoT and soft CC. It is possible to combine Wardsit with a monster set (head and shoulder) to throw mortars and that way use shields as a way to damage enemies.

When you gain XP (up to lvl 50 in skill line for destro) in destro staff line you will have access to three type of damage: shock (lightning), burning (Inferno: fire) and chill (Ice/frost). Resto staff is useful and can be use all slots damage skills from class and later guilds skills. Armor have also one skill and for magicka it is good to have that extra shield that can also be used for magicka return. Just remember to upgrade all passives for each skill line you use, your race and all other passives that are relevant. Use Soul Trap on bar at least until you have access to get a free resurrection from passives in World>Soul Magick line.

FYI: Don't open container which have armour pieces that will be bound to your account when it gets open, until you have reached level 50 160 CP. That is because armour will be bound and you get stats set to that level you are when you open container. INPC vendor/merchant and bank man in Crown Store are very useful when you solo as you can sell stuff that you have not place for and access to bank make it possible to move stuff between alts without need to go to a city all time. BankManager Revived is a very useful add on in this case as you can set up profiles which also can be imported to other characters. Let's say you want to move all recipes that have learned to bank, but take out those that you don't know yet. That this add on can handle for you with different profiles (a big icon will show that you can change profile with when you open bank: scroll wheel change profile).
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    This has been a useful thread as I've come back to the game after some time away and want to start a new character as I'm not enjoying my StamSorc.

I'm also looking at a Magicka class but as I dont like pets very much I will leave the Sorc alone. I am being drawn towards the Templar, DK or Warden but I wanted to check whether these can be good in PvP if I decide to do that too? Also how strongly do pets feature with the Warden class?

I quite like being in the enemies face which is why im thinking of the templar or DK, I haven't seen much of the Wardens play style to know if they are more ranged or not. I assume 2 destro staves is the best build but are there any ther weapons worth levelling such as Restro staff or Sword&Shield (PvP maybe?)?

In terms of useful professions for playing solo I assume Alchemmy and Provisioning are vital, but are any of the others good to have? Maybe Tailoring and Woodworking? If I go PvP do these classes benefit from heavy armor?

Thanks!

Edited by Iziquiel on March 31, 2018 8:45PM
  • DGVish
    DGVish
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

General solo gameplay (questing, delves, etc) is easy. There won't be any content you can't do on any class.

That being said, the best traits I look for in a solo type class are self healing, movement/mobility, and utility. As most skills that are tied to those traits are available to all I focus on range or melee. As range you're already afforded good movement but you sacrifice some mobility. As melee you get a good amount of both with your mobility being a bit higher. Self healing in this game is different than most, as some of the best self healing abilities are available to every class. Utility falls mostly under your class and ends up being the major difference between the classes. Nightblades really are the Rogue style class, Sorcerers really are the Mages, Dragon Knights really are the Warriors, and Wardens are much like Druids offering a lot of flexibility. That doesn't mean that a Nightblade can't be an effective healer or Magicka user, they're actually quite adept at both. Point being, no class is absolutely horrible at any aspect or role in this game despite what some people might say.

If you're enjoying the Magicka playstyle go all in with a Sorcerer. They're a fun class and easy to learn.

My personal ranking is Nightblade>Sorcerer>Dragonknight=Warden=Templar.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iziquiel wrote: »
    This has been a useful thread as I've come back to the game after some time away and want to start a new character as I'm not enjoying my StamSorc.

I'm also looking at a Magicka class but as I dont like pets very much I will leave the Sorc alone. I am being drawn towards the Templar, DK or Warden but I wanted to check whether these can be good in PvP if I decide to do that too? Also how strongly do pets feature with the Warden class?

I quite like being in the enemies face which is why im thinking of the templar or DK, I haven't seen much of the Wardens play style to know if they are more ranged or not. I assume 2 destro staves is the best build but are there any ther weapons worth levelling such as Restro staff or Sword&Shield (PvP maybe?)?

In terms of useful professions for playing solo I assume Alchemmy and Provisioning are vital, but are any of the others good to have? Maybe Tailoring and Woodworking? If I go PvP do these classes benefit from heavy armor?

Thanks!

To answer a few of your questions...

Warden:

The only permanent pet the Warden has is the bear ultimate and you need it on both ultimate slots. All other "pets" are just temporary GFX layered on top of DPS abilities gone in a second and the netch buff that lasts for ~ 25 seconds. The bear pet is normally only used in PVE by some stamina wardens or by magicka ones when you solo...maybe. Magicka Wardens ditch the bear early and slot the Ice line's Northern Storm on the DPS bar (+8% magicka passive + good damage AOE centered on you) and the healing ultimate on the back bar.

Playing up close is just as doable on a Warden as with any other magicka class - the ice ultimate forces it on you anyway. IMO, It's better way to play most magicka classes since that's where the bulk of the healing is happening as well as synergies. You only really need to maybe back up a step or two for the Shalk ability since it's a frontal cone 3 seconds after you activate it. It takes a bit of getting used to but becomes second nature after a while. Of course playing up close also means you have to be good at the basics of stepping away from danger, blocking, bashing and dodging, but you should be good at those anyway to play this game.

Crafting:

Yes provisioning is the #1 craft to do since buff food is such an important part of the game and makes a large difference. Alchemy would be second, not so much for what you make with it (although you can make much better potions with it than the world drops for sure) but for the Medicinal Use passive that increases the duration of potion effects by 10/20/30%.

Blacksmithing, clothing and wood working (and soon jewelry crafting if you buy Summerset) also deserve some attention. Not so much to skill up until much later on when you have a lot of spare ability points but for the progressively longer time it takes to research all 9 traits for each slot (the 9th one takes ~ a month of real time) which you will eventually want to have unless you're fine with depending on other crafters for what can be the best in slot equipment for some slots at end game for some builds. You can use a lot of junk items for that trait research so it's virtually free to do 8/9th of them... you don't need to worry about the 9th trait, nirnhoned, yet :) Start researching early and you'll be glad later on you did.
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

To answer a few of your questions...

Thanks for the info, I think I will start up with a Templar as my new main but will likely try a Warden until lvl 15-20 just to get a feel for it.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mag NB is good in pve and pvp. It does require some skill to be good with a NB but that only makes the class more fun to play.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc is best for solo experience. You can tank, heal, dps. The skills feel powerful.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can solo with most things. I recommend stamina sorcerors (stamsorc) because of how easily they stay alive (great healing), plus doing great damage at the same time. They make an excellent first character.
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    You can solo with most things. I recommend stamina sorcerors (stamsorc) because of how easily they stay alive (great healing), plus doing great damage at the same time. They make an excellent first character.

Thanks, I have been playing a StamSorc but just not enjoying it that much at present which is why I’m looking at a magicka class and one without pets..

I will have a look again at the MagSorc again alongside the Magplar; how much would I be limiting myself if I went without the clannfear/matriarch as a Sorc?
  • Llaren_Uvayn
    Llaren_Uvayn
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like MagSorc is missing its best heals if you go without pets. The shield is still pretty sick, though.
    PS4 / EU

Sadryn Hlervu: Warden tank
    Llaren Uvayn: Templar healer and faithful Tribunal servant
    Ashanabi Addunipu: Ashlander mercinary from the grazelands
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc I do most of my dungeon soloing on them. variety of pets, shields, strong self heal, awesome sheilds, and good dots and damage skills.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam NB yolo
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say MagSorc.
    Shielding in PvE is still the best form of defense imo and with a pet build you can also work as a pug carrier when you desperately need to complete dungeon (normal difficulty).

Very efficient in PvP too, stealing kills by placing Mage's Fury and letting your teammates to do the hard work.

Oops, my fingers slipped on the keyboard, don't consider that last sentence please.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar. Or "Pimplar" as I refer to them as.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go MagSorc or MagBlade as both are Viable end game (Pull decent DPS & decent survivability) & fun to play with. MagSorc probably the best for learning the ropes as you can slot pets until you're used to the mechanics and rotation.

All in all tho Mag is a lot easier to survive with & solo than Stam characters as you have access to heals, shields and can kite enemies should it get heated.

What console/server do you play on? If Xbox EU I can craft you some gear/weapons to get you started :smile:
    Edited by Sparr0w on April 3, 2018 2:34PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Alqu
    Alqu
    ✭✭
    xeNNNNN wrote: »
    Magblade for sure.

Doing anything solo in the game is always best with magblade.

Infinite cloak FTW. allows you to get around without having too worry about trash mobs constantly. Out of all my 8 characters I think i love playing my magblade the most for questing or anything else solo, even vMA.

For solo PvE magic-based, I do like my magic nightblade. Sneaking thru time wasting bits, self-heals that also damage, several easy stacking ways to build ultimate for 'oh snap' moments.

One thing to note if you decide to go with a magic nightblade...You can hit the ground running with the inner light power from the Mage's Guild skill line. Easy to get to level 2. Just read some books. Lots of people slot it on both bars.

Mag Sorc is w/ pets easier though. Only class I found was so easy it was boring.

Edited by Alqu on April 3, 2018 5:39PM
    Alqu - Sneaky bosmer dps (sNB)
    Allqu - Whirling dervish redguard dps (Sorc)
    Ocuili - Devout dunmer templar burninator (Temp)
    Ocuilin - Secretive dunmer dps/heals (mNB)
    Tletl - Drunken orsimer tank (DK)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of options!

My easiest time leveling has always been Stam Sorc. The AOE from Hurricane makes multiple enemies trivial and the self-healing from Dual Wield morphs mean I never felt in danger.