The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best solo class?

Aesanor
Aesanor
Soul Shriven
Hi all,
I'm a new player and I'm still trying to figure which class should I level to 50 first. Every time I start a new mmo i waste entire days struggling with deciding wich class to play, So I need your help in order to make this decision. I would like to play the best class for soloing (PVE for now), because I don't have any friends that play eso and I'd like to be able to solo as much content as possible because I enjoy not having to rely on other players. Atm I'm enjoying magicka playstyle more than stamina, I like to play as a caster. If you want feel free to rank the classes from best to worst (or vicecersa, as you prefer.) Ty so much for your help
Edited by Aesanor on March 30, 2018 3:31PM

Best Answer

• Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saying that Mag NB needs skill is an overstatement really. When you're learning the game, pressing a button to use funnel health is no harder than using any other spammable. They're only hard when you want to hit high DPS numbers in the end-game. In fact, with cloak, they're easier than most classes in overland since you can skip so many fights.

That said I'd always recommend going MagSorc first up. Simply because when you do get to the where you want to be in the PvE end game, you'll be able to start more easily on a Mag Sorc. There's nothing like getting to 300 CP and wishing you had a Magsorc to run vMA, vDSA or vHRC on.

Magplars are an easy solo class but the harder the content the less they shine (at the moment anyway). I personally would avoid them as a first choice.
    Answer ✓
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest either Magplar, Magblade or Magsorc

Magplar has Jabs/Sweeps which heals you when you use it. Also Breath of Life, huge heal

Magblade has Funnel health, spammable that heals you when you use it. Also refreshing path which heals you when standing in it

Magsorc has Crit surge, a buff that heals you when you Crit, nice shields and also you can run pets which can take some agro, good for leveling. Also the Twilight pet has a burst heal

Hope this helps
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamwarden
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you're already leaning toward magicka, try a sorceror. you can summon pets that will do things like tank and heal for you, and they have great damage skills. templar is also a good choice; they have a damage skill that can be morphed to heal so well your health will usually stay full, solo.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblade for sure.

Doing anything solo in the game is always best with magblade.

Infinite cloak FTW. allows you to get around without having too worry about trash mobs constantly. Out of all my 8 characters I think i love playing my magblade the most for questing or anything else solo, even vMA.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely either Magplar or Magsorc. As was said above, jabs heals, Breath of Life is a very strong heal. For Magsorc, dont use the scamp morph when just starting out, use the clannfear, it's basically the only heal you'll have until you unlock the twilight matriarch later on. Clannfear is a VERY good heal, and I still use it for my main at cp 390.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xeNNNNN wrote: »
    Magblade for sure.

Doing anything solo in the game is always best with magblade.

Infinite cloak FTW. allows you to get around without having too worry about trash mobs constantly. Out of all my 8 characters I think i love playing my magblade the most for questing or anything else solo, even vMA.

I'd second that.

Besides cloak allowing you to get out of sticky situations, having swallow soul or funnel health means you can deal damage and heal yourself while staying at range and avoiding a lot of the damage you'd have to deal with as a magicka templar or other melee classes.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pve - Magblade

Pvp - Stamblade
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Aesanor
    Aesanor
    Soul Shriven
    Right now my highest level character is a level 10 sorc and the pet with the heal is really good. I'm also trying a magblade and the healing with syphoning seems really good. I'm wondering if at max level magsorc magblade and magplar (still have to try this tho) are on the same level or one of them will come on top for solo
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are fine with a great solo class but also with a class that has lesser use in endgame raids I'd recommend stamina sorcerer. Easy rotation, good healing via DW skills and crit surge + hurricane. It's good but not meta. Cloak has the issue that it puts you out of combat and resets fights, iIrc (haven't used cloak in pve fights since forever).

E: on a second thought, since you specifically asked for leveling, don't go stam sorc. Most cool stuff is unlocked at higher levels. Ignore this.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on March 30, 2018 3:49PM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All things considered, right at this moment it's got to be Magicka Templar. Before the sustain nerfs I would have said Stamina Sorc but it's ever so much easier to sustain a high magicka pool than a stamina one when blocking and dodging also uses stamina.

For ease of play I would rank all the magicka specs over stamina probably in this order: Templar > Warden > Sorcerer > Nightblade > Dragonknight.

For end game play when you've mastered rotations and tricks the list would be different but that's not what the OP is asking.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magica Templar is the easiest to play and the most survivable. Magica Nightblade requires a bit more skill but is also great for soloing.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc.

Pets, critical surge, shields.

I get the most fun out of this class personally
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblade is the worst MagDPS I can think of for solo content. Your AoE capabilities are pretty bad in lower levels and don't get very good until you reach 40s or get very good equipment. The self healing as NB isn't bad but isn't that good either. Magblade is pretty weak until you reach a certain point equip- and CP-wise. And it's definitely no class for beginners.

I played every class except Sorc to 50. The easiest class to solo content (world bosses and dungeons) is (imho) MagDK/Magplar and MagSorc isn't very hard either.
    Edited by Seraphayel on March 30, 2018 4:12PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two favorites Magblade and Magsorc.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have just started the game then make one of each of the classes and try them out, you can always use them as inventory space. As people have said magicka Templar is great but is more close combat as is DK (which also has some great self heals). Magicka nightblade and sorc are good at range, the magblade also has some good skills for melee range, good heals and can go invisible, the sorc has pets and a big damage shield at later levels.

Edit: I forgot Warden, but I haven't played one much so can't really comment on them, although the playstyle did remind me of a magblade....sort of.
    Edited by Zorgon_The_Revenged on March 30, 2018 4:17PM
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    You mention you like being a caster so go with the magsorc, a pet build gives plenty of support and the class fits your preferred style of play.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is a stamina night blade and is my quester, crafter, achievement hunter.
    Squishy until you get into the cp300 range but pretty solid after that.
    I'm cp350 or so and can do public dungeons by myself..haven't attempted regular dungeons yet.

Another character I leveled up is templar and they are pretty strong for solo play.

Haven't gotten any others to 50 yet so can't comment. I think the next one I get to 50 is going to be my sorcerer.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagSorc (Magic Sorcerer as a high elf)

Because you like casting and magic, this is the best for starting with. You can even summon two pets, both which will aid in combat. many times my pets have taken the ads off me and they take the hits for me. It's almost like having your own healer, DPS and tank with you. They can be broken at times though and you have to resummon them when they die but for starting solo, PVE, I would suggest a MagSorc at best. One destruction bar and one restoration bar. It's the best class to get an easy major sorcery and shield with that is WITHIN the class itself. Very foul proof if you ask me.

Then a MageBlade. (Magic Nightblade as a Breon, High Elf or Dunmer).
    Edited by Kuramas9tails on March 30, 2018 5:21PM
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • ak_pvp
      ak_pvp
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      PvE, not specifically hard IMO, but the best classes are Magblade, Magsorc, Magplar. As stated above.

Magplar is heal whilst you deal.

NB you can cloak and skip, and some small heal+deal.

Sorc you have shields and mobility. With pets to lighten the load.

DK also works decently, if you use embers and power whip well. Magden has some heal whilst you deal too, but not as strong as magplar, and no cloak like an NB. The offense is patchy too.

Stam classes are a pain early on.
      Edited by ak_pvp on March 30, 2018 8:52PM
      MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
      Best houseknight EU.
    • Giraffon
      Giraffon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Magsorc is a good choice in my opinion. It offers you a fair amount of options to match up with whatever play style you might prefer.
      Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
    • Valkysas154
      Valkysas154
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      A magic Templar using Puncturing Sweep -morph from Puncturing Strikes- can solo this games solo content all of it with just this ability.

• EvilAutoTech
      EvilAutoTech
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I started with a Templar and loved it. You can leave the tutorial with a ranged spell, an up-close spammable and a powerful heal. Templar is, however, a fairly in-your-face type of character.

With the Warden, you can start with a ranged spammable a good heal and either an AOE or a shield ability. Can't remember the first skill in the Winter's Embrace skill line.

Nightblades are a little harder to learn the game with. They can be powerful but mistakes at low levels can be very costly. I would not recommend trying to learn the game and the NB class at the same time.

The hardest class for me was the Dragon Knight. It took me a while to get a handle on balancing offense and defense. I got rekt over and over by the first quest boss I ran into. It became way easier to level my DK after I had learned more about the game.

The Sorcerer is a great class for a caster. The pets help a lot. They can even draw agro and pull mobs off of resources while you harvest. You can clear the node or chest or whatever and then finish the fight your pets started. The clanfear is good for this at lower levels and gets you some healing. Since you get a character bound respec scroll just for leveling, you don't lose anything if you decide to go with the scamp morph once you unlock the twilight healing.

But the best advice, as stated above, is try them all. Only you can determine what works best for you.
    • SirAndy
      SirAndy
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Aesanor wrote: »
      I would like to play the best class for soloing (PVE for now)

Pet Mag Sorc with lightning Staff, hands down, no question ...
      shades.gif

Edited by SirAndy on March 30, 2018 6:53PM
    • Vaoh
      Vaoh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      All classes have their tools of survival. All work well solo for what you’re trying to do. You said you like Magicka more than Stamina?

Fire/Earth Mage - Dragonknight
      Lightning/Daedric Magic Mage - Sorcerer
      Ice/Nature Mage - Warden
      Holy Magic/Light Mage - Templar
      Dark Magic/Rogue/Sneaky Mage - Nightblade

That’s pretty much what you’re looking at. All of these casters have a Damage Shield to protect themselves, and numerous ways to heal. I’d say Sorcerer and Nightblade are strongest.

Difference in class will only matter if you’re trying to like.... solo Vet dungeons. It also kind of matters in vMA.
      Edited by Vaoh on March 30, 2018 6:56PM
    • Nyladreas
      Nyladreas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Hi all,
      I'm a new player and I'm still trying to figure which class should I level to 50 first. Every time I start a new mmo i waste entire days struggling with deciding wich class to play, So I need your help in order to make this decision. I would like to play the best class for soloing (PVE for now), because I don't have any friends that play eso and I'd like to be able to solo as much content as possible because I enjoy not having to rely on other players. Atm I'm enjoying magicka playstyle more than stamina, I like to play as a caster. If you want feel free to rank the classes from best to worst (or vicecersa, as you prefer.) Ty so much for your help

Don't ever touch stamblade until you're a master at the game. Trust me, it'll save you tons of time, endless frustration and what not trying to figure out how to play a class that can't ever be played solo unless u CP-PVP Gank.

Stamblade brought me to quitting the game several times and people laughing at me. Really not worth it.
      Edited by Nyladreas on March 30, 2018 7:04PM
    • Nyladreas
      Nyladreas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Juju_beans wrote: »
      My main is a stamina night blade and is my quester, crafter, achievement hunter.
      Squishy until you get into the cp300 range but pretty solid after that.
      I'm cp350 or so and can do public dungeons by myself..haven't attempted regular dungeons yet.

Another character I leveled up is templar and they are pretty strong for solo play.

Haven't gotten any others to 50 yet so can't comment. I think the next one I get to 50 is going to be my sorcerer.

Now imagine if u picked a sorc and did all that + dungeons + skyreach as soon as you hit 160cp.
      Edited by Nyladreas on March 30, 2018 7:15PM
    • s7732425ub17_ESO
      s7732425ub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      MagSorc or MagBlade.
    • Aesanor
      Aesanor
      Soul Shriven
      Ty so much for all the answers, I think I've come down to magsorc and magplar because I see that many people say that the nightblade class in general is not an easy class to learn the game with. So.. if anyone of you wants to convince me for magplar over magsorc or viceversa so that I can make up my mind even more it would be awesome. Anyway ty so much <3
    • griffkhalifa
      griffkhalifa
      ✭✭✭✭
      Ty so much for all the answers, I think I've come down to magsorc and magplar because I see that many people say that the nightblade class in general is not an easy class to learn the game with. So.. if anyone of you wants to convince me for magplar over magsorc or viceversa so that I can make up my mind even more it would be awesome. Anyway ty so much <3

I know you said you prefer magicka builds but I'd really consider a stam build if you're just doing solo content and running around in overland. Getting around with magicka characters is inherently slower due to their lack of stamina pool to sprint with. That being said, between the two you mentioned I vote MagSorc.
      Edited by griffkhalifa on March 30, 2018 7:28PM
      PS4 NA
    • Jarryzzt
      Jarryzzt
      ✭✭✭✭
      Mag Petsorc is by far the easiest, with a good combination of durability and damage and a simple base rotation (which you can build on to make it as complex as you want). Also a lot of the crucial skills are unlocked reasonably early on.

Magblade is my personal favourite, and benefits from good damage plus good self-heals.

I've had good fun leveling a Stamsorc once I unlocked the self-heal. Stamdens or Magdens are in there as well for that reason, although the rotation can be rather more complex and takes longer to get to "completion".

Really, any class works for solo PVE provided one understands the need for defensive skills (like self-heals) and, as well, how to quickly level particular skill lines. The one proviso I would make is that stamina classes are a bit more of a grind if you want to unlock Dawnbreaker (which, for the endgame, you probably should).