The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Using Template characters

ghastley
ghastley
✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone written up a guide to using template characters effectively? Last time I rolled one, there was so much in inventory I had problems determining what order to unpack it all. And since it's packages within packages, you can't just peek in each one to see what it contains (because it's more packages).

In my case, I wanted to create a furnisher - able to craft any furnishings, so I could check out what was possible by crafting alone, without buying from the vendors. However, distinguishing "stuff" from "more stuff" wasn't easy. By the time I found where the crafting stations were, I had already started destroying things to make room to unpack more.

I'd imagine the same problems using them for anything else. You need to know what to hold, and what to fold, but can't see the cards.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Has anyone written up a guide to using template characters effectively? Last time I rolled one, there was so much in inventory I had problems determining what order to unpack it all. And since it's packages within packages, you can't just peek in each one to see what it contains (because it's more packages).

In my case, I wanted to create a furnisher - able to craft any furnishings, so I could check out what was possible by crafting alone, without buying from the vendors. However, distinguishing "stuff" from "more stuff" wasn't easy. By the time I found where the crafting stations were, I had already started destroying things to make room to unpack more.

I'd imagine the same problems using them for anything else. You need to know what to hold, and what to fold, but can't see the cards.

It really depends on what you want to test, @ghastley.

If you're not testing gear, then there is no reason to unpack any of the gear crates. Just leave those as is.

The crafting crates are totally fine to unpack, however ... because crafting mats will go straight to your crafting bag.

Anything your character can "learn", such as motifs, the provisioning recipe book, and furnishing plans you can just consume.

Additional tips for setting up a template that you don't want to forget:

- You'll have to rebind your keybindings to what you have on Live.
    - Be sure to upgrade your bank and inventory to max in the crown store.
    - Riding lessons are in the crown store for 1 crown each to max your mount.
    - Remember to allocate your skills, attributes, mundus stone, and champion points.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, the first rule, now I've I learned it, is "Don't create a character the day before they copy over", but I'm sure we can come with more.

The point about making space in bank and inventory is important. Next time, it will be one of the first things I do.

But It would be nice to have a description of what's in those crates. The titles are a bit vague, as you'd expect, given the limited naming size. Not being able to distinguish furnishing from general crafting supplies wasted some time, even though the craft bag meant it wasn't a space problem, too. It was never clear if a second crate was more of the same, or the next sequence of items.

I may take the time to document it all, when I go back and restart the project.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you ... finding items is sometimes like going through a stack of Matryoshka Russian nesting dolls.

Keep in mind, however, that you're not required to actually retrieve items out of any crates.

You can go inside and look, but taking items out requires an affirmative click on your part.

Inadvertently take out some items you don't need anyway? That's fine too ... just store them in your freshly maxed out bank.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take your point about not retrieving, but when the crate is full of crates, and you wonder what's in the inner crates, there's no "expand all" function to show the leaf level content.

Once the Festival, and the Anniversary, and whatever are over, I may have time to do it all and write it all down. And this time I will max the bank and bag first!
  • Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Of course, the first rule, now I've I learned it, is "Don't create a character the day before they copy over", but I'm sure we can come with more.

The point about making space in bank and inventory is important. Next time, it will be one of the first things I do.

But It would be nice to have a description of what's in those crates. The titles are a bit vague, as you'd expect, given the limited naming size. Not being able to distinguish furnishing from general crafting supplies wasted some time, even though the craft bag meant it wasn't a space problem, too. It was never clear if a second crate was more of the same, or the next sequence of items.

I may take the time to document it all, when I go back and restart the project.

Create a Character uses standard Templates. For PTS ZOS builds special templates for test sessions with maximum CP for the build being tested.

At the top left of the Character Creation screen is a pull-down Menu to select your preferred max CP toon.

Reminder, Custom CP Templates may be modified after a PTS Update.

The main toons in your Character Slots are the ones copied from Live' NA or EU alternately each PTS Build Update.
    @AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs