The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tutorial Screen Glitch -- Can't See Anything; But The Game Goes On

Daavos
Daavos
This happened pretty early on in the tutorial quest. After the two skeleton fights, the warrior and the archer, I came to the next door, which you have to exit from and fight the Coldharbour Sentinels. So, right after I went through, the screen froze to the image of me going through the door, but the game went on. As in, the screen stopped working, it was frozen on that image, but the game itself kept playing, I could interact, but I couldn't see what I wanted to interact with. As you might imagine, the Atronachs did me in pretty quickly after that.

The weirdest part was that the tiniest bit of screen in the bottom left corner of my computer's monitor was still functioning. So I could see the bottom left corner of my screen, which is just like the corner of my shield. Not much help, I couldn't navigate by it and it ended up just giving me a headache when I tried.

Naturally, I tried logging out and back in, which instead of freezing the screen to me opening the door, it froze the screen to the character logging-in screen, but the game kept going, and the little square in the bottom left hand corner of the screen was still there, and working.

I tried making a new character, twice, and everying ran smootly up the same room, where the screen froze, and once again I logged out and back in again, alas, to no avail.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? Some handy chat command, a secret trick, something in the settings? A magic word? Because it happened in like the firs 10 minutes of me sitting down and playing, and I would really like to play this game. And I'm sorta pissed off at the devs.

Oh, I'm able to access map and inventory, but when I close them, it just goes right back to normal. Well, normal being a frozen screen.

• Daavos
    Daavos
    Update:

I navigated with the little square in the bottom of the screen that was still working and the map, and managed to make my way through the Undercroft. After that it just... stopped. Everything went back to normal. Until after I got through the portal and talked to the prophet's spirit again. Then, when I left the building, it started again. Ugh.
  • Dracowolfie
    Dracowolfie
    Soul Shriven
    I have this same issue, and it goes on and off for me depending on the area. Are you using a Mac? It seems to be a common Mac issue. I work around it by turning down the graphic settings, and setting the screen resolution the the lowest setting possible. Just mess around with the graphic settings. At best all you can do is settle for really ugly graphics but playable content until this actually gets fixed.
  • Daavos
    Daavos
    I am using a mac. I guess when it comes to gaming us mac user always get the short end of the stick, eh?

I comes and it goes, thanks for your suggestion. I'll check my graphics settings.
  • Daavos
    Daavos
    It seems to happen as soon as I enter an area and lasts a period of time depending on the size of the area. In a house it only takes a couple of seconds because it's a small area, but when I left the house and entered the Bleakrock zone it must've been 2 or 3 minutes.
  • Daavos
    Daavos
    Yeah, exactly. Are you using a mac? We think that might have something to do with it.

Well, just right now I just logged on and played for about thirty minutes in Bleakrock, and it didn't happen. I'm hoping it was fixed, or it only happens once per new area. I dunno, I hope it doesn't trouble us too much.
  • Alcarissyë
    I took those photos a half an hour ago.
  • Daavos
    Daavos
    I hope this gets fixed soon.

When does this happen to you, Alcarissye? After loading screens? When?
  • Alcarissyë
    4th area after start. prison cell/hallway->forge->other hallway->then Blammo.
    I too am running a mac, I had a hunch is was platform specific.
    Edited by Alcarissyë on March 31, 2014 4:21AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a known issue. Please post to the Mac Technical Forum will make it easier to answer Mac related issues.

The relevant thread is here.

It is basically a graphics glitch bug specific to the MacBook Air (Mid 2013) with the Intel Graphics HD5000 graphics card.

A similar bug (which is actually in Apple's own Intel drivers in Updates) was fixed for the MacBook pro but for some reason has been broken by a recent Appl,e update for this model of GPU.

I have posted details and also updates on this in that thread.

Hope that helps.
  • Alcarissyë
    thanks Moonraker, much appreciated.
  • Daavos
    Daavos
    Damn it, I'm using a Macbook Air with a graphics card of that type. Just my luck.