Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Magplar disengage discussion

Datolite
Datolite
✭✭✭✭✭
Aside from mist, we don't have a whole lot. We're the one class without a decent disengage.

My question is: would Retreating Maneuver be a viable alternative? A magplar using tri-pots could pop one and easily use this skill, then have just enough stamina to LoS. Beyond that or speed pots (which don't recover magicka) I can't think of any good skills.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it would not. Retreating maneuver is a good group buff, but for solo disengaging it's absolutely terrible as it costs a lot of stamina and is easily broken if you accidentally attack anything.

Elusive mist + purge and dodgerolls are your only option. Use that stamina for rolling more and making sure you can always breakfree.

And what do you mean magplar is the only class without escape options, what about dks? They're even worse than magplars when it comes to that.
    Options
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mist works wonderfully imo. You can always feed to drink bloody mara to take away the negative effects(and positive). Other than that, only 2 classes have a decent skill. Sorcs and blades. Everything else, streak to a degree, is countered by gap closers.
    Options
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DKs have unparalleled defense skills to help them disengage but you're right, they need some love too.
    Options
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DKs have unparalleled defense skills to help them disengage but you're right, they need some love too.

Can't play DK ... Beauty of the Templar is that with old hands like mine you can play much slower and time cleanses and heals with very little pressure unless poisons are involved

With DKs I find you have to have much like with sorcs a really good rotation in place to stay alive ... And I can't ...probably could have 25 years ago ... I ajve a lot of respect for a decent DK player
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lingering hp+speed pots and spamming cleanses. Uncomparable to mist effectiveness anyway but still works fine.
    Edited by Cinbri on March 26, 2018 7:30PM
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Such as? Don tell me permablock or you'll make me cry
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without mist you are screwed
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
    Options
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Are you forgetting the one where you reflect 4 projectiles back at their caster?

That's 4x more than Defensive Posture, which only works on spells.

Want me to name another?
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Are you forgetting the one where you reflect 4 projectiles back at their caster?

That's 4x more than Defensive Posture, which only works on spells.

Want me to name another?

Of course they have defence skills. They get snared they are done for
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Lingering hp+speed pots and spamming cleanses. Uncomparable to mist effectiveness anyway but still works fine.

and 120CP exactly into the regen tree to unlock windrunner. 2% extra movement is clutch plus you still can get 20% break free and 20% dodge roll reduction with a few extra points into block.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best escape plan for a Magplar (outside of using Major Expedition pots):

Unlock Wildrunning (2% movement bonus)...
    Slot Accelerating Drain (gives 10% movement bonus after the Drain is broken)...
    Slot Elusive Mist (30% movement bonus)...

So when you want to escape, use Accelerating Drain and immediately cancel out of it so you can get its Minor Expedition buff, then Mist away as best you can...

This works extremely well when paired with the Vampire Lord gear as you get a Cost Reduction to Elusive Mist and Accelerating Drain...

;)

Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on March 26, 2018 8:19PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
    Options
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for BG by the way, no CP and no vampire. Guess I'm boned.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for BG by the way, no CP and no vampire. Guess I'm boned.

don't need vamp or mobility in BGs. Just need to reposition ALOT and make sure to not get stuck without your team if the enemy pushes as a pre-made directly at you.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use Ritual + Coward's Gear with sprint bursts (not a vampire). 9/10 times it purges the snares but sometimes you have to spam. It's not quite as good as Mist but it is a lot faster and easier on your magicka pool. It also helps you play the objectives a little more efficiently.
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So when you want to escape, use Accelerating Drain and immediately cancel out of it so you can get its Minor Expedition buff, then Mist away as best you can...

This works extremely well when paired with the Vampire Lord gear as you get a Cost Reduction to Elusive Mist and Accelerating Drain...

;)

2 skills, completly useless. For running a little bit more.
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »

;)

2 skills, completly useless. For running a little bit more.

You wouldn't use it for just that, and the set is far from useless...

But that's a different topic that doesn't relate to this thread...

The thread starter asked about Magplar escape, and I provided him with the best answer I could come up with...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Just for the sake of being thorough, I'll even post a Magplar build that I've been experimenting with that has proven itself to be very, very, good at escape (by Magplar standards of course), can take some punishment, and is able to bring something to the table offensively:

Mighty Chudan x2 (Head/Shoulders)...
    Spectre's Eye x5 (Light Armor; Chest, Hands, Legs, Waist, Feet)...
    Vampire Lord x5 (Sword and Board, Necklass, Rings)...

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

This build combined with Wild Running, Accelerating Drain, and Elusive Mist gives you great escape ability and it can already take a ton of punishment (especially since you are getting a Max Health Bonus from Spectre's Eye, Mighty Chudan, and 2000 more Max Health from Structured Entropy; you will top 30k Health)...

Spectre's Eye will regularly provide Major Evasion (which works while in Mist Form) and of course you have the 100% up time on 8255 Physical/Spell Resist with Mighty Chudan...

Now, this is not my optimal Vampire Lord build, but as concerns being able to escape, its very very good...

And it can turn around and unload an excellent combo of: Structured Entropy, Toppling Charge, Devouring Swarm, Puncturing Sweeps which is pretty formidable...

In conclusion, your stance that Vampire Lord is "completely useless" is in grave error...

What is useless are those who cant come up with unconventional creative builds which maximize a given armor sets strengths...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on March 26, 2018 9:53PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stand stand fight
    Options
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My house is rubedite
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Just for the sake of being thorough, I'll even post a Magplar build that I've been experimenting with that has proven itself to be very, very, good at escape (by Magplar standards of course), can take some punishment, and is able to bring something to the table offensively:

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

This build combined with Wild Running, Accelerating Drain, and Elusive Mist gives you great escape ability and it can already take a ton of punishment (especially since you are getting a Max Health Bonus from Spectre's Eye, Mighty Chudan, and 2000 more Max Health from Structured Entropy; you will top 30k Health)...

Spectre's Eye will regularly provide Major Evasion (which works while in Mist Form) and of course you have the 100% up time on 8255 Physical/Spell Resist with Mighty Chudan...

Now, this is not my optimal Vampire Lord build, but as concerns being able to escape, its very very good...

And it can turn around and unload an excellent combo of: Structured Entropy, Toppling Charge, Devouring Swarm, Puncturing Sweeps which is pretty formidable...

In conclusion, your stance that Vampire Lord is "completely useless" is in grave error...

What is useless are those who cant come up with unconventional creative builds which maximize a given armor sets strengths...

No sustain. Mighty chudan is redundant since if you don't run channeling focus, you die. Vampire lord...nah. it's useless. You can Tried fortified brass in light. But i would go for shacklebreaker.

You can't build yourself around escaping, templar is not good at it.
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

No sustain. Mighty chudan is redundant since if you don't run channeling focus, you die. Vampire lord...nah. it's useless. You can Tried fortified brass in light. But i would go for shacklebreaker.

Ah, but I have actually run this build and have found it excellent for escaping; I've done so many many times...

You haven't run it, and so your opinion on its performance is meaningless...

You can sustain by back baring a Resto Staff, Heavy Attacking, combined with a food buff...

Magplar can be built around escaping if you are willing to think outside the box; I've proved it with the above...

Ps...you don't 'need' Channeled Focus; I sustain just fine on all my Magplar builds without it.
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on March 26, 2018 10:20PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • Baz
    Baz
    ✭✭✭
    You can Tried fortified brass in light.

Brass is just a cheap Pariah. Just go for jewel & chest/weapon Pariah if you want to run Brass..
    Thanks me later :)

Downside of Pariah : if you run DW/resto with a vMA staff, you are locked to 5-2, and have to transmute the legs
    vAA : 150.350 WS StamBlade
    vSO : 171.041 CwC StamSorc
    vHRC : 155.895 DB Tank
    vMoL : 159.672 CwC Stamplar
    vHoF : 206.667 MkM StamNB
    vAS : 111.272 MkM Magplar
    vCR : 128.397 WS MagSorc
    Mostly retired from PvE ESO
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

Ah, but I have actually run this build and have found it excellent for escaping; I've done so many many times...

You can sustain by back baring a Resto Staff, Heavy Attacking, combined with a food buff...

Magplar can be built around escaping if you are willing to think outside the box; I've proved it with the above...

Ps...you don't 'need' Channeled Focus; I sustain just fine on all my Magplar builds without it.

I also escape many times. The real deal is escaping in the mid of a zerg. If you die, you can't escape.
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baz wrote: »

Brass is just a cheap Pariah. Just go for jewel & chest/weapon Pariah if you want to run Brass..

Downside of Pariah : if you run DW/resto with a vMA staff, you are locked to 5-2, and have to transmute the legs

False. Pariah is healthy jewlery and heavy if i'm correct. Leaving you no dmg or sustain

Brass is craftable leaving you the possibility to run it in light. Making up for a lil bit of dmg and resources
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

I also escape many times. The real deal is escaping in the mid of a zerg. If you die, you can't escape.

I rarely die with the above build and have escaped from all sorts of situations with it...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Baz wrote: »

False. Pariah is healthy jewlery and heavy if i'm correct. Leaving you no dmg or sustain

Brass is craftable leaving you the possibility to run it in light. Making up for a lil bit of dmg and resources
    While Pariah armor is heavy, the jewelry can drop in all three varieties.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

I rarely die with the above build and have escaped from all sorts of situations with it...

Ok. Let me argue with this then. Did you kill someone, with that build. Alone?
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

Absolutely...

Now, it lacks the killing power that some of my other builds have, but it can kill and I have killed players with it; Vampire Lord makes Devouring Swarm hit hard...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

Absolutely...

Now, it lacks the killing power that some of my other builds have, but it can kill and I have killed players with it; Vampire Lord makes Devouring Swarm hit hard...

Makes everytrhing less not doing anything. And mind you, devouring swarm does magic dmg. Put war maiden on and you have the same effects.

And i doubt you can kill someone with at least 1 month of pvp in his back
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Skander

Puncturing Sweeps...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Structured Entropy...
    Toppling Charge...
    Elusive Mist...
    Devouring Swarm...

Absolutely...

Makes everytrhing less not doing anything. And mind you, devouring swarm does magic dmg. Put war maiden on and you have the same effects.

And i doubt you can kill someone with at least 1 month of pvp in his back

War Maiden provides equal damage, however, Vampire Lord reduces the Ultimate Cost of Devouring Swarm and it increases the amount of Healing Devouring Swarm provides opposed to War Maiden...

You might doubt I can kill with this build, and that's your right, but I know what it can do from actual 1st hand experience; you are merely speculating (wrongly) about its killing power...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options