Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Summerset is utterly disgusting!

Vimora
Vimora
✭✭✭✭
fRJSPW7.jpg

Source: Deshaan questline, ESO
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Praised honesty" implied to be a virture by a member of a society that follows three of the biggest liars in Tamriel. :D
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of a double standard there seeing as Dunmer are arguably the most prevalent slavers in ESO lol
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on April 19, 2018 4:15PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to repay those n'wahs for the insults they paid to our beautiful Vvardenfell!
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and then Sotha Sil sold [snip] Numidium to Talos and it destroyed Summerset

[edit for inappropriate language]
    Edited by ZOS_MattL on March 23, 2018 9:14PM
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kind of of a double standard there seeing as Dunmer are arguably the most prevalent slavers in ESO lol
    True Dunmer only enslave those that are better off that way. There is a huge difference between having some corruption and slavery in your country and your country being so beyond repair due to the corruption and decadence of its leaders that part of the population literally sees no other way than moving out to find a new home.
    "Praised honesty" implied to be a virture by a member of a society that follows three of the biggest liars in Tamriel. :D
    True Dunmer worship Azura.
    Edited by Vimora on March 23, 2018 10:05PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whats funny to me is that Veloth led his people from a literal paradise to a hell on earth. Compared to how the Altmer have lived since the exodus, Veloths Chimer/Dunmer have suffered greatly time and again for turning their backs on the Aedra and embracing the "Good Daedra". More so that they've embraced just about every aspect of the society they swore to cast off when they left. Ambition, greed and decadence are all things that could easily be used to describe the Dunmer. And when you look at anyone in Dunmer society that are not on the up and up with the Houses could easily be described as impoverished, left in ignorance and in literal chains for those that fall victim of their slavers.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »

And Boethiah (Prince of deceit, assassination, conspiracy) and Mephala (Prince of lies, sex, and murder). Still rather thin on honesty there. ;)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of of a double standard there seeing as Dunmer are arguably the most prevalent slavers in ESO lol
    True Dunmer only enslave those that are better off that way. There is a huge difference between having some corruption and slavery in your country and your country being so beyond repair due to the corruption and decadence of its leaders that part of the population literally sees no other way than moving out to find a new home.

Dunmer only enslave those better off that way??? Lmao

What was that line in the book about decadence, arrogance and slavery?
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And Boethiah (Prince of deceit, assassination, conspiracy) and Mephala (Prince of lies, sex, and murder). Still rather thin on honesty there. ;)

You cannot deny that Mephala is awesome ;)
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whats funny to me is that Veloth led his people from a literal paradise to a hell on earth. Compared to how the Altmer have lived since the exodus, Veloths Chimer/Dunmer have suffered greatly time and again for turning their backs on the Aedra and embracing the "Good Daedra". More so that they've embraced just about every aspect of the society they swore to cast off when they left. Ambition, greed and decadence are all things that could easily be used to describe the Dunmer. And when you look at anyone in Dunmer society that are not on the up and up with the Houses could easily be described as impoverished, left in ignorance and in literal chains for those that fall victim of their slavers.

I wouldn't exactly call Deshaan or pre-explosion Vvardenfell a hell on ear...Tamriel.

Hardships, yes. It's the defining feature of the race.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its almost like the Dunmer apple didn't fall far from the Altmer elven-supremacist, goblin-enslaving tree.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That book is just the worst kind of propaganda. It is a blatant tissue of lies aimed at sanctifying a daedra worshipper who was a traitor to his own race, his own class and his own family. A mer who led his cult on a campaign of genocide against the Nedes in order to seize their land. That was the Chimers' "Promised Land".

PC EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fRJSPW7.jpg

Source: Deshaan questline, ESO

It's about time someone dared to go up against those nasty elves and tell the truth! :wink:

Of course, look what happened to them after they left.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That book is just the worst kind of propaganda. It is a blatant tissue of lies aimed at sanctifying a daedra worshipper who was a traitor to his own race, his own class and his own family. A mer who led his cult on a campaign of genocide against the Nedes in order to seize their land. That was the Chimers' "Promised Land".

Isn't that what usually happens historically when someone decides that the land is their "Promised Land" despite people already happily living there?

Or under other circumstances for a more comedic take on it:

“We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "No..." "Well, if you don't have a flag, then you can't have a country. Those are the rules... that I just made up!”

― Eddie Izzard, Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    So that's the best you can do? Pointing out that the Dunmer are no better? Of course, they aren't. None of the races is. However, somehow it's aways the High Elves sitting on that proverbial high horse, looking down on others. Yes, the Dunmer are overly protective of their newfound homeland. So what? The holier-than-thou Altmer are the ones that always meddle in everyone else's business. How about that super sweet Queen Ayrenn trying to flat out eradicate the Argonians of Shadowfen among other things?

The Altmer are and have always been the worst scum of Nirn.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that's the best you can do? Pointing out that the Dunmer are no better? Of course, they aren't. None of the races is. However, somehow it's aways the High Elves sitting on that proverbial high horse, looking down on others. Yes, the Dunmer are overly protective of their newfound homeland. So what? The holier-than-thou Altmer are the ones that always meddle in everyone else's business. How about that super sweet Queen Ayrenn trying to flat out eradicate the Argonians of Shadowfen among other things?

Wait, we're competing for the worst scum of Nirn?

I'm afraid that House Dres, the Veiled Heritance, the Mythic Dawn, the 4th Era Thalmor, the Dark Brotherhood, the Forsworn, the racist Stormcloaks, vampires, Molag-Bal-worshipping Imperials, the Ayleids, and the Falmer are all going to have to compete with...

The Dwemer, who actually successfully warped the Snow Elves from black-souled Mer into white-souled creatures after convincing the Falmer to seek refuge with them from the early Nords and then harvested their souls to use in their constructs.

Edited by VaranisArano on March 24, 2018 7:28PM
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wait, we're competing for the worst scum of Nirn?

I'm afraid that House Dres, the Veiled Heritance, the Mythic Dawn, the 4th Era Thalmor, the Dark Brotherhood, the Forsworn, the racist Stormcloaks, vampires, Molag-Bal-worshipping Imperials, the Ayleids, and the Falmer are all going to have to compete with...

The Dwemer, who actually successfully warped the Snow Elves from black-souled Mer into white-souled creatures after convincing the Falmer to seek refuge with them from the early Nords and then harvested their souls to use in their constructs.

And blinding them to boot
  • Casowen
    Casowen
    ✭✭✭
    England Exodus to america? I cant help but notice there is a place called Somerset in england, that looks entirely like the summerset seen in the trailers. Oh the poor argonians...

Something of an alchemical clock.
    the-wells-cathedral-clock-a-14th-century-astronomical-clock-installed-D6WD70.jpg

The gothic look
    ?image=%2Fdbimgs%2FVS%20-%20Gallery%20-%20Bath.jpg&action=HomePageHeader2

You can go there right now, nevermind the expansion: http://www.visitsomerset.co.uk/

What you see in game looks like a place called "wells" http://www.wellssomerset.com/

I like making real life parallels.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veloth worshipped 3 dishonest, evil daedra (who literally embody the traits he shunned the altmer for) and the dunmer became arguably even more xenophobic and elitist than the altmer.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on March 25, 2018 7:15PM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Veloth worshipped 3 dishonest, evil daedra (who literally embody the traits he shunned the altmer for) and the dunmer became arguably even more xenophobic and elitist than the altmer.

Well, dunmer have prejudices against other races, yes. But almer think themselves better than everyone, not having a single problem to torture and kill anyone who opposes to their beliefs.
  • Bansidhe1965
    Casowen wrote: »
    England Exodus to america? I cant help but notice there is a place called Somerset in england, that looks entirely like the summerset seen in the trailers. Oh the poor argonians...

the-wells-cathedral-clock-a-14th-century-astronomical-clock-installed-D6WD70.jpg

The gothic look

You can go there right now, nevermind the expansion: http://www.visitsomerset.co.uk/

What you see in game looks like a place called "wells" http://www.wellssomerset.com/

Ye Gods,I live in the UK and actually googled Bath Architechture this morning to confirm it reminded me of Summerset !

2nd picture above,mind you a lot of ESO names are plays on England : Balmora-Balmoral etc.
    The bridges burning behind us merely light our way forward PC-NA Main: Hepzebah Mag / sorc
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casowen wrote: »

The gothic look

Ye Gods,I live in the UK and actually googled Bath Architechture this morning to confirm it reminded me of Summerset !

2nd picture above,mind you a lot of ESO names are plays on England : Balmora-Balmoral etc.

Speaking of Bath. Do you remember the particular story from The Canterbury Tales? :neutral:
    Edited by Vanthras79 on March 27, 2018 1:56AM
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Bansidhe1965
    I'm afraid not,lots of years ago that I read that :)
    The bridges burning behind us merely light our way forward PC-NA Main: Hepzebah Mag / sorc
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, dunmer have prejudices against other races, yes. But almer think themselves better than everyone, not having a single problem to torture and kill anyone who opposes to their beliefs.

Yeah, the Altmer merely think themselves better than everyone. Us Dunmer know we’re better than everyone.

We also don’t need our beliefs as an excuse to torture and kill; entertainment value is justification enough :tongue:
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We also don’t need our beliefs as an excuse to torture and kill; entertainment value is justification enough :tongue:

As long as it doesn´t soil the carpets.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we just cut the BS?

The only reason so many people give dunmer a pass for being such unrepentant, arrogant, racist ass holes is because they're edgy and "cool". Don't get me wrong, I love dunmer as much as the next guy, but it's always been funny to me how the same people who bash the altmer for being pompous seem totally fine with the dunmer.

Of course, this was before I knew that everything interesting about the altmer was a trancription error, so I guess they really are just primitive hypocrites who have nothing to feel superior about.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    Can we just cut the BS?

The only reason so many people give dunmer a pass for being such unrepentant, arrogant, racist ass holes is because they're edgy and "cool". Don't get me wrong, I love dunmer as much as the next guy, but it's always been funny to me how the same people who bash the altmer for being pompous seem totally fine with the dunmer.

Of course, this was before I knew that everything interesting about the altmer was a trancription error, so I guess they really are just primitive hypocrites who have nothing to feel superior about.

I suspect the main reason so many people give Dunmer a pass for being such unrepentant, arrogant, racist A-holes is because there was this really popular single-player Elder Scrolls game called Morrowind of which the whole point was being immersed in Dunmer-land, learning their history and culture, becoming Hortator of three of their Great Houses, Nerevarine of four of their ashlander tribes, killing at least one of their gods, and getting called "Outlander" by absolutely everyone. Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Whereas the main Altmeri presence in the TES games to date has been the 4th Era Thalmor of Skyrim, who's main purpose in the game is to serve as polarizing bad guys with good fashion sense who both the Imperial and Stormcloak fanboys hate but disagree on how to deal with them, hence causing a civil war and kicking off the main plot. Good job breaking it, hero Ulfric Stormcloak, and all that. I mean, sure, Skyrim had a few sympathetic non-Thalmor Altmer, but not many and none of any great importance to the quests.

ESO is actually a major rehabilitation for the Altmer, which the Veiled Heritance clearly being the bad guys opposed by a lot of good guy Altmer, as opposed to Skyrim where outside of a few characters, most of the Altmer Thalmor were torturing jerks, I-just-wanna-watch-the-world/eye of magnus-burn jerks, heretic hunting jerks, and rarely 'I suppose we might find a use for you in the new world order" type jerks. I'm excited to see what Summerset brings us.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we just cut the BS?

I never claimed to bash the Altmer for being pompous. In fact, I admire the efforts of the Fourth Era’s Thalmor. They can bring about some real good; I welcome them so long as they leave Morrowind alone. They can do as they wish with humanity. Should mankind go extinct, I will still have my Betmer slaves, so no real harm done.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whereas the main Altmeri presence in the TES games to date has been the 4th Era Thalmor of Skyrim, who's main purpose in the game is to serve as polarizing bad guys with good fashion sense who both the Imperial and Stormcloak fanboys hate but disagree on how to deal with them, hence causing a civil war and kicking off the main plot. Good job breaking it, hero Ulfric Stormcloak, and all that. I mean, sure, Skyrim had a few sympathetic non-Thalmor Altmer, but not many and none of any great importance to the quests.

Skyrim’s Thalmor aren’t “polarizing bad guys” from the perspective of one who witnessed Imperial oppression and Nordic discrimination. It is time for humanity to step down from a position of leadership. The means used bring me little worry; a world without humanity would be no worse for a Dunmer such as myself, although I don’t necessarily view eradication as the only solution. They could serve much better as vassals or slaves so long as we are careful not to incite another Alessian Slave Rebellion.

I will, however, agree on their fashion sense. It is superb.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we just cut the BS?

I never claimed to bash the Altmer for being pompous. In fact, I admire the efforts of the Fourth Era’s Thalmor. They can bring about some real good; I welcome them so long as they leave Morrowind alone. They can do as they wish with humanity. Should mankind go extinct, I will still have my Betmer slaves, so no real harm done.

Out of curiosity, how'd you manage to keep your Betmer slaves when your precious Morrowind was completely

Skyrim’s Thalmor aren’t “polarizing bad guys” from the perspective of one who witnessed Imperial oppression and Nordic discrimination. It is time for humanity to step down from a position of leadership. The means used bring me little worry; a world without humanity would be no worse for a Dunmer such as myself, although I don’t necessarily view eradication as the only solution. They could serve much better as vassals or slaves so long as we are careful not to incite another Alessian Slave Rebellion.

I will, however, agree on their fashion sense. It is superb.

You do realize that the Thalmor don't like the Dunmer that much more than the humans, right? The Dunmer view their suffering in the world as the crucible that purifies them and makes them stronger. The Thalmor just want the world to go away so they can be aedra again. They really do have existential differences that go beyond a general "ugh, humans" thinking.

But by all means, carry on the roleplaying. Its deliciously annoying, as I suspect it was intended to be.