The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Make Random Veteran great again (and leave Normal to newbies)

• Owondyah
    Owondyah
    ✭✭✭
    1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 % AGREE & SUPPORT to OP and this topic.

I've made few topics of *** easy leveling dungeons...

- no healer needed
    - no tank needed
    - 0 focus on dungeon exploration
    - 0 focus on quests and reading the actual lore and story behind dungeon
    - pure race in terms who gets first to last boss and deals more dps
    - 0 rewarding feeling after you get some loot!!! Why? Well, every fukin' boss is just a loot pinnata!

I've enjoyed my road to 50 but dungeons in this game are, by far, easiest, most dull experience I've ever had in 17 years of online gaming.

It felt like an obstacle rather than a pleasure.

Simple fix:

do NOT allow champion level players to mix with leveling crowd... is that so hard to understand??

Edited by Owondyah on March 24, 2018 10:13AM
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making Random Vet great again would require a playerbase that isn't toxic, elitist, and is willing to teach.

No offense, but your post is a classic example of 'mileage may vary.'

I too am on NA/PC and find the community quite decent.

So am I, and I've seen some of the most dickish people I've seen in online gaming short of a souly competative game.

The simple fact is that in order to get people up to the level where the experience is consistant the community has to be less toxic, and has to teach new DPS instead of screaming at them.

And I see neither likely to happen. Given some of the reactions of the people in this thread or their horror stories. Going "YMMV" as a way to sweep it under the rug isn't helping.
  • Zeni0s
    Zeni0s
    ✭✭
    Well. I'm doing a lot of Dg and if I reach the normal difficulty it's because:
    -someone in my group/guild asked for it
    -I have a planned raid in 15 min and I want the XP bonus first.

And i think it's the same for a lot of vet players (who haven't reached the cp cap yet).
    Edited by Zeni0s on March 24, 2018 11:45AM
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i do random norms. I have over 160 keys with nothing to use them on, so vet is a complete and utter waste for me. I only do vets for gear nowadays. Zero incentive to do vet when some norms can be done in under 10 mins. If someone needs the quest, then yeah, I'll go at their pace. Really selfish and self centred if you don't. You see other high level players rushing waaay ahead and burning bosses before the low levels have even had time to update the quests. There are a few dungeons where the npcs take an age to do their thing. Happens a lot in Banished cells too. People selfishly run ahead when others are needing to kill optional bosses or do the quest. Same happens in CoH1. Been on the receiving end of it a few times myself when lvl'n alts.

So yeah, it's not really an issue with the game per se, it's others being self centred and only thinking of themselves that's the real issue.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on March 24, 2018 11:55AM
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conversely, it’s tiresome to sign up for the random vet, happily draw fang lair, and then be subjected to a solid five minutes of combat clearing the first group of trash even with a war horn because the champ 720 sorc dps is “still learning the character”.
    Xbox NA
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently I need Sunder weapon so I had to farm CoA 1. If I do it in vet I would have to queue as tank, or take 20m+ in specific queue as dps. But when I queue as tank I could end up in a group that do 17k damage TOTAL. There is no way I would spend dozens of my playtime just to grind vet CoA 1 with 17k group damage. Better queue as tank in normal on my dps, slot inner fire and rush through it as fast as I can till I get the weapons then move on. Blame ZOS and there RNG.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I avoid vet dungeons due to several reasons. First and most importantly is the dlc dungeons were made, imho, for the hardcore crowd looking for a challenge which I am not. Cool they went through all that time and resources to make them, too bad the majority of the playerbase avoids them.

Secondly, I already have the monster sets I'm interested in, and since that's pretty much the only real reward for running vet, why bother?

Lastly, I enjoy running normals with the regular folks. Most of these players don't give a crap about the meta, aren't going to sneer at you because you treat a videogame like a videogame and just want to have fun.

I never have to worry about not finishing because I can solo most so I can sit back and let the newbies have fun and take their time because that's why we, er, some of us play videogames.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pug a DLC vet dungeon... long day.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanna know why most people prefer to do random normal rather than random vet? I did a random Vet and got CoH1 as my dungeon... no biggie, was wondering why I jumped in right at the first boss. Well, it quickly (slowly actually) became apparent why as soon as I pulled, popped warhorn, and by the time it was down the boss was still over 90% health. Had a 2h DPS that never bar swapped spamming carve (or one of its morphs) and a sorc using resto heavy attack with hard-cast crystal frags.

I asked if the group would be interested in some constructive criticism, they said sure, and when I offered them some food (12k HP and 14K hp WITH my ebon armor buff), one told me if he wanted more health, he would just be a tank. As I was interested to see how this went, and it had been a long time since I was "challenged" in a non-DLC vet dungeon, I stuck it out. Honestly, it was interesting. I didn't complain to them, but offered explanations of the boss fights before each pull, and always got sarcastic comments from the carve-spammer.

At the end of the dungeon, I offered to friend any of them in case they wanted advice/help/items crafted for the future and only one of them took me up on it. The other DPS just called me a tryhard who needs to get a life.

*shrug*

My other counter point is this: when new DLC dungeons drop, I try them out in normal before I hit them in vet just to see what it's all about. With the proposed "No vet chars in normals" EVERY vet char would have to jump straight into vet from the start, and I think that will make group finder even more toxic.

TL/DR: CoH1 last boss took 13minutes and 44seconds to kill, with group DPS under 17K and me doing 27% of it with 3.1k as the tank. Healer and I were trading aggressive warhorns on cooldown. There is only so much advice you can offer politely with people telling you to "STFU" and "this isn't my second job, neckbeard". nothnx.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saphayla wrote: »
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Umm, not quite. Monster set helms ONLY drop in Veteran dungeons. Also, if you want purple jewelry, you'll need to run Veteran level. But if you already have your Monster helm and jewelry (soon to be moot with jewel crafting) there's no real reason to actually run a veteran level dungeon.

Most people aren't looking for a monster helm, they're looking for the monster helm they want, so they'll likely be farming a specific dungeon. As for Jewelry, well, you said yourself - it's about to be irrelevant.

Well, with Transmorg, they only need a helm. They can redo it to the trait they want...Which requires crystals...Which is why I suggested the new "drop" levels from the geodes. I've only gotten 1-2 crystals from ANY of the geodes (green, blue, purple) so to me, running vet is a waste of time. I can run a normal faster for the same amount of crystals. Give them a reason to run Vet content. So they can transmorg the helm quicker to a trait they like.
    Edited by PlagueSD on March 25, 2018 5:46PM
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all "vets" are created equal. The gear cap is 160, CP continues to raise base stats until 300 or so, and most people are still very weak (under 20k DPS) until at least the 500's (and some never get good).

I run a 35k DPS/healer Magplar and I am not about waste my time and suffer through a vet dungeon with a garbage team that needs to be carried the whole way (fake tank werewolf and low dps). If I want to run vet I run exclusively with guildmates. The function of randoms is to throw a group together when your friends/guildies aren't available. If I'm doing dungeons without my guild then I'm doing normal, period.
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see things vet is only for helms and a waste of time for getting keys. Largely because having more keys doesn’t significantly increase the odds players will get the desired shoulder piece. And now with the jewel crafting there isn’t a point to go in vet for the accessories. Normal mode is just more efficient for farming everything else other than monster helms.

If players could earn some type currency, vet mode had a higher payout than normal, and that currency could be used to directly purchase shoulders, and helms then players would be more inclined to do vet mode. People who understand how rng odds work aren’t going to waste their time with vet mode.
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dobbel-edged sword there

A lowbie with alotta CP might be OP in Normal, but struggle in a Vet. I prefer the 1 st.
    PC
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Saphayla wrote: »
    Hello.

Right now, you have a choice to either do an easy dungeon for a reward, or do the same dungeon with quadrupled difficulty for the exact same reward.

Umm, not quite. Monster set helms ONLY drop in Veteran dungeons. Also, if you want purple jewelry, you'll need to run Veteran level. But if you already have your Monster helm and jewelry (soon to be moot with jewel crafting) there's no real reason to actually run a veteran level dungeon.

What they need to do is actually make the geodes better. 90% of the time I get the same amount of crystals from a green, blue, and purple geode...1 crystal. This should NEVER happen. We should have the following rewards from geodes.

Reg Dungeon:
    Green Geode: 1-3 crystals

Veteran Dungeon:
    Blue Geode: 3-5 crystals

Veteran (hard mode) Dungeon:
    Purple Geode: 7-10 crystals

I agree with you. Currently, there is no reason to run a "harder" dungeon when there is almost no difference in rewards.

Well pledges are the main reasons for running daily dungeons even after you have your monster set. Maybe you want to try a new build, or need the sets for alts.
    Kiss the chaos.