The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

NPC Guilds meant to be a solo mission?

Selali
Selali
The question stems from the first two quests in both the mage and the fighter guilds. I was wondering if it was by design that the end part in those quests, where you fight the mini bosses, was designed to be instanced so that you can not do the final areas with anyone but yourself. I Think this is hopefully an oversight because when starting this MMO I was already in a group and playing the healer in that group its going to be very difficult to finish that solo unless I am a considerably higher level than the monsters that I am facing. This takes away a good part, and an important part of the early game in my opinion.

Best Answer

• Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Selali wrote: »
    The question stems from the first two quests in both the mage and the fighter guilds. I was wondering if it was by design that the end part in those quests, where you fight the mini bosses, was designed to be instanced so that you can not do the final areas with anyone but yourself. I Think this is hopefully an oversight because when starting this MMO I was already in a group and playing the healer in that group its going to be very difficult to finish that solo unless I am a considerably higher level than the monsters that I am facing. This takes away a good part, and an important part of the early game in my opinion.

This works as designed, you have to consider those as a sort of "reality check" on your character.
    They can be difficult but never impossible and consider also they have already been nerfed once - eve if they were doable.
    Besides, there's no such thing as pure healer in TESO so if you're not investing anything in offensive/weapon skills then at some point you will probably be a liability to your group anyway. Everybody needs to get their hands dirty :smile:
    Honor is a dead man's code.
    Answer ✓
  • Selali
    Selali
    That is all that I was asking. I appreciate the very quick response. The issue is not that I am not planning on building into a more offensive build but that early on its much more necessary to be full healing because of the lack of both gear and skill from the party. I dont have a problem using gold to completely change my build so that I can do the instanced quest but like the post started, I was curious if that is how it was designed. Thank you again for the quick and helpful response.
  • Danarchist
    Danarchist
    ✭✭
    Exact same boat myself, I have focused my skill points into healing thinking my DK tank buddy was going to keep things from hitting me. Imagine my surprise when I ended up trying to fight the self healing boss alone...I think I got her to 2/3 health at one point. I simply don't have fast enough damage to kill the orbs and staves dont change targets as fast as I need for that boss. After I have the free skill points to invest in my secondary "dps" line (e.g. after lvl 15) I will go back and try again.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It will also help to overlevel the quest slightly and make sure your gear is appropriate for your level. Improving your weapons via crafting is also useful for quests like these.
    You can also "grind" fighter's guild exp first to gain access to Silver Bolts (I recommend assisting players with the Dremora in the Baelborne questline if you're Daggerfall Covenant or the undead outside Skyshroud Barrow if you're Ebonheart Pact).
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Bell
      Bell
      In my experience the first mage-guild quest was much easier if you played a healer than anything else. I tried that on my DPS DK in beta and failed miserably, because I just took way too much damage from the multiple mob groups.
      This time around I just equipped my restoration staff, kept mutagen on me and breezed through that without even the slightest problem.
      Don't forget that in this game you still can deal damage with a healing outfit as well.
      The fighter's guild might be a bit more difficult since you have to kill those orbs quite quickly and staffs have such a slow swing time.
      Edited by Bell on April 1, 2014 4:59PM
    • HarruqTun
      HarruqTun
      Yeah, those quests are an absolute joke. What's the point of this game being "multiplayer" if you're going to be forced to solo a lot of these quests anyway? I may as have just never bought this game and stuck with skyrim
    • Metrobius
      Metrobius
      ✭✭✭
      if you're having trouble with dps you can go grab skyshards qnd get a bunxh of extra skill points to adjust your build to a nice hybrid solo healer build.
    • LostScot
      LostScot
      ✭✭✭
      Fair to say that for a low-level healer early on Doshia is a handful as far as guild quest bosses go. As @Selali mentioned, there aren't enough skillpoints available early on to be a good healer and also have offensive skills.
    • Nightblade
      Nightblade
      ✭✭
      you can pick up around 4 skill points from skyshards by then, but yes, it is tricky to do. I don't see why they couldn't up the limit to pairs.
    • GreySix
      GreySix
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      HarruqTun wrote: »
      Yeah, those quests are an absolute joke. What's the point of this game being "multiplayer" if you're going to be forced to solo a lot of these quests anyway? I may as have just never bought this game and stuck with skyrim

Mirrored my own thoughts on this. My wife and I play this game cooperatively, and it was an unpleasant surprise to see our characters forced into solo-only play.

So what we're doing is leveling up by grouping on side-quests (also mostly ignoring the forced-solo main quest line), and then going back into the forced-solo instances grossly over-leveled in order to kill the baddies in just a few shots.

We're not here to learn and master a gaming mechanics system. We're here to enjoy ourselves, exploring and questing together.
      Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
    • caelumpanache
      caelumpanache
      ✭✭
      GreySix wrote: »
      We're not here to learn and master a gaming mechanics system. We're here to enjoy ourselves, exploring and questing together.

I have the same issue. I play with my wife most of the time and it is frustrating to be forced to solo content. There isn't even an RP reason for it. We can do everything together up until we show up in separate instances in a dungeon.

I don't care about having 'the best' character. It's unlikely I'll ever be able to devote enough time to this game to be the best at it.

I just play to have fun with my wife and forced solo content isn't fun.
      Edited by caelumpanache on May 7, 2014 1:23PM