The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Jewelry crafting system vs. blacksmithing/clothier/woodworking

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Blacksmithing, clothier and woodworking work so similarly that it is reasonable to think that ANY differences are bugs. Indeed, the only avoidable difference I can think of is whether or not there's a cap for low-level crafters on how many inspiration points they can get for each deconned item (woodworking doesn't appear to have one, while blacksmithing does).

It seems that jewelry is meant to work the same way as the other three. That said:
  • How clear have the statements been about this so far?
  • What details have been confirmed?
  • What exceptions, if any, are known?

Without listening to the Twitch event myself, I gather that there's been a general statement that jewelry will work the same way as the other crafts, plus the specifics:
  • You can craft items in craftable sets.
  • You can't craft items in uncraftable sets.
  • You can upgrade items from any set.
  • Jewelry traits will be transmutable.

A difference I have heard is:
  • The number of craftable traits may not be exactly 9.

I haven't heard anything about:
  • Crafting materials
  • Trait research
  • Hirelings

Is the above accurate? What else is known?
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listened/watched the Twitch feed, and regarding the traits I got the impression there will be nine traits for jewelry as well, they will just be different traits than what we put on armor.

@ZOS_RichLambert stated that currently jewelry is restricted to three traits (robust, healthy, arcane), but jewelcrafting would introduce “six all-new traits” including the only one specifically described- “bloodthirsty.”

3+6=9

That being said. I’m going to have to figure out a way to manufacture some skill points on my crafter, or respec and drop thieves guild/dark brotherhood stuff. With the Psijic line potentially adding a minimum of fifteen skill point vacuum (5 skills + 5 morphs + 5 passives (iirc what Rich said)), and the jewelcrafting line adding something on par with the other crafting skills, there may be a need for >40 skill points. Shoot me now.....
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Blacksmithing, clothier and woodworking work so similarly that it is reasonable to think that ANY differences are bugs. Indeed, the only avoidable difference I can think of is whether or not there's a cap for low-level crafters on how many inspiration points they can get for each deconned item (woodworking doesn't appear to have one, while blacksmithing does).

It seems that jewelry is meant to work the same way as the other three. That said:
    • How clear have the statements been about this so far?
    • What details have been confirmed?
    • What exceptions, if any, are known?

Without listening to the Twitch event myself, I gather that there's been a general statement that jewelry will work the same way as the other crafts, plus the specifics:
    • You can craft items in craftable sets.
    • You can't craft items in uncraftable sets.
    • You can upgrade items from any set.
    • Jewelry traits will be transmutable.

A difference I have heard is:
    • The number of craftable traits may not be exactly 9.

I haven't heard anything about:
    • Crafting materials
    • Trait research
    • Hirelings

Is the above accurate? What else is known?

I watched the Twitch event, and unless I’m misremembering, he did say we’ll be able to craft jewelry from craftable sets (he specifically mentioned Hunding’s). He did not mention uncraftable sets, but I’m guessing we’ll still have to hit the usual places to get those jewelry items.

He didn’t say whether we will be able to upgrade items from *all* sets. He also didn’t mention whether jewelry traits are transmutable—hope so since they are adding a bunch more traits. I’m guessing yes on that one since he compared jewelry crafting to the other durable material crafts like blacksmithing and woodworking.

The talk wasn’t very specific. No mention of raw materials, research or hireling emails.

• Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lot of farming to get the new traits jewelry for my pvp character :/

Exhausted already
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of farming to get the new traits jewelry for my pvp character :/

Exhausted already

Too early to say, @Morgul667 ... so I wouldn't get too discouraged yet.

On the contrary, jewelry crafting has been asked about in hundreds of forum posts. So, ZOS is giving players what they have wanted for a very long time.

So, has anyone theorycrafted new "bloodthirsty" traited jewelry on a crafted Kvatch Gladiator 5-piece? ;)
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exhausted already

On the contrary, jewelry crafting has been asked about in hundreds of forum posts. So, ZOS is giving players what they have wanted for a very long time.

So, has anyone theorycrafted new "bloodthirsty" traited jewelry on a crafted Kvatch Gladiator 5-piece? ;)

You're probably right.

Wait and see :-)

But they didn't give much to the PVP community that I know of. And I dont feel like grinding PVE to get what I need not to be slaughtered in Cyrodill :/
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Inb4 the Jewelry will be transmutable and they start dropping in all 9 traits (with most traits being undesireable), then suddenly they introduce Transmute tokens in the market.

The fear is real.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the phrase I saw in another post "six new traits" is accurate, then indeed jewelry will have 9 traits just as the other equipment crafts do.

Thankfully, if there only are two kinds of things to craft -- rings and necklaces -- trait research will go faster than in other crafts. I hope ZoS doesn't do something stupid like lengthen research times so as to make crown research scrolls more attractive, because those scrolls will in any case be a form of pay-to-win.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought of one difference between jewelry and other equipment crafts -- racial style stones and motifs will presumably not come into play. :)
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    I listened/watched the Twitch feed, and regarding the traits I got the impression there will be nine traits for jewelry as well, they will just be different traits than what we put on armor.

@ZOS_RichLambert stated that currently jewelry is restricted to three traits (robust, healthy, arcane), but jewelcrafting would introduce “six all-new traits” including the only one specifically described- “bloodthirsty.”

3+6=9

That being said. I’m going to have to figure out a way to manufacture some skill points on my crafter, or respec and drop thieves guild/dark brotherhood stuff. With the Psijic line potentially adding a minimum of fifteen skill point vacuum (5 skills + 5 morphs + 5 passives (iirc what Rich said)), and the jewelcrafting line adding something on par with the other crafting skills, there may be a need for >40 skill points. Shoot me now.....

You can also assume there will be 10 new skill points to be had. 5 from skyshards, 3 from quests, 2 from public dungeons.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • shinikaze
    shinikaze
    ✭✭✭
    If the phrase I saw in another post "six new traits" is accurate, then indeed jewelry will have 9 traits just as the other equipment crafts do.

Thankfully, if there only are two kinds of things to craft -- rings and necklaces -- trait research will go faster than in other crafts. I hope ZoS doesn't do something stupid like lengthen research times so as to make crown research scrolls more attractive, because those scrolls will in any case be a form of pay-to-win.

Most crafter will crafter your goods for free if you have the mats. In any case just ask the guy with the cash for the research scrolls untill you can craft it yourself
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn ... I'm gonna need more skill points or I'm going to have to say good bye to some skills or create a new crafter .... Sad thing is I've been slowly trying to get all achievements on one character and that's hard when you are limited to not being able to unlock every skill due to skill point Vs Skill ratio
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Damn ... I'm gonna need more skill points or I'm going to have to say good bye to some skills or create a new crafter .... Sad thing is I've been slowly trying to get all achievements on one character and that's hard when you are limited to not being able to unlock every skill due to skill point Vs Skill ratio

I'm in a similar position -- my erstwhile main character and main crafter doesn't have enough free skill points for jewelry, nor for great variety in builds (he can DPS and heal with the skills he's bought, however).

One thing to offload if you need to is the "better breakdown" kinds of skill, which are 3 points per craft for 4 craft. If you level a craft on an alt to the point that you have the top tier hireling, you're at Level 32, and also are high enough to buy all levels of that craft's "better breakdown" ability.

That said, I have 12 characters total who are each at 50 in at least Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, and Enchanting, and a 13th who's very close. Most of those are at 50 in alchemy and provisioning as well.

Also, that character is still missing 7 non-DLC dungeons he could easily heal, 3 public dungeons, and over 30 skyshards. So I should be able to have him do anything I want him to.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on March 22, 2018 8:05PM
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exhausted already

Oh my.... You know, I ran KG in PVP when it first came out, then got away from it trying out other sets.... I just recently came back to it and I had forgotten how much I love it.... Light attack hitting for 4k? Yes please! And with bloodthirsty? Awesome!
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has to be 9 traits for jewelry crafting, to align with the trait restrictions on sets.

The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Until we get more information I'm just going to assume that Jewellery Crafting works in the same way as blacksmithing/clothier/woodworking, all the way from having it's own harvest nodes right up to it's own Master Writs.

At the moment I think the only useful thing I can do is to start stockpiling jewellery for decon.

If I chance on any research scrolls in crown crates I guess I'll be hanging on to those now too. Researching 9 traits takes a long time. I really don't want to be waiting for all those months and months before I can craft TBS jewellery.

PC EU
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

3+6=9

In this regard, I'll likely refund my werewolf skill points. Haven't found a use for ww in ages so I won't miss it. Come to think of it, i should have just got cured and gone vamp a long time ago.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

I'm in a similar position -- my erstwhile main character and main crafter doesn't have enough free skill points for jewelry, nor for great variety in builds (he can DPS and heal with the skills he's bought, however).

One thing to offload if you need to is the "better breakdown" kinds of skill, which are 3 points per craft for 4 craft. If you level a craft on an alt to the point that you have the top tier hireling, you're at Level 32, and also are high enough to buy all levels of that craft's "better breakdown" ability.

That said, I have 12 characters total who are each at 50 in at least Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, and Enchanting, and a 13th who's very close. Most of those are at 50 in alchemy and provisioning as well.

Also, that character is still missing 7 non-DLC dungeons he could easily heal, 3 public dungeons, and over 30 skyshards. So I should be able to have him do anything I want him to.
    Then the best tips is to do all the dungeon quests, skyshards and public dungeon, also quests who give skill points.
    My main crafter who is also the one who do all stuff has all the crafting skills, DD, heal and pvp skills,
    Has not assigned points to skill I never use, an magic build don't need much from the fighter guild line outside of banish the viced, bounty hunter and Intimidate. You don't need to max out the ledgerman, TG or DB lines even if nice they tend to be the first you drop.

Assuming it work like Blacksmithing you need 10 skill for cp160 creation, Metal Extraction 3 and Temper Expertise 3 then Metallurgy 4, that is 20 skill point, hireling 3 and perhaps one point or two into keen eye would be useful.
    Assuming you stock up purple junk jewelry for decon you can probably level pretty far the first day.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was stated that it worked similar to blacksmithing <or the other primary TS's>.

So what you can do with BS you can do with JC. Based on what he said there is no reason to second guess it. Just instead of weapons/armor its rings/neck. Knowing this we can assume a couple things:

1. They will have a mat system with a possible highlight passive just like Tailoring/BS/Wood working.
    2. Hirelings
    3. Upgrade all JC items. They are moving away from long grind <Evidence by re-trait system> with certain rarity only for specific play styles. Raids will still have drops <AS weapons/Moondancer etc>, but gold rings/necks will be available to all.
    4. Create only craftable sets
    5. They added 6 new traits so that you can be a full 9 trait crafter <6 new + 3 classic>. Meaning to craft 9 trait rings/neck you need to learn all 9 JC traits <Sets such as twice born>.
    6. Decon is most likely a thing with JC.

Things we don't fully know is:
    Will they add nodes/traits to base game, or just in Summerset? Similar to Nirnhorned in Craglorn. <Bad idea IMO>
    If they do add nodes to base game, will non expansion players have access to the skill line to use them?
    Will they add a writ to Master Writ merchant for 1 day reduction similar to BS/WW/Tailoring?
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »

Things we don't fully know is:
    Will they add nodes/traits to base game, or just in Summerset? Similar to Nirnhorned in Craglorn. <Bad idea IMO>
    If they do add nodes to base game, will non expansion players have access to the skill line to use them?
    Will they add a writ to Master Writ merchant for 1 day reduction similar to BS/WW/Tailoring?

Most likely we will get new trait materials.

I'm also speculating that they will add 4 new materials with diamond changing to CP 10 - 30 for the Champion levels currently we have

Current tiers
    1-15 Garnet
    16-25 Amethyst
    26-35 Turquoise
    36-45 Emerald
    45-50 Ruby Necklace
    50+ Diamond

New tiers (speculated)
    CP 10 -30 Diamond
    CP 40 - 60 Topaz
    CP 70 - 80 Platinum
    CP 90 - 140 Black Pearl
    CP 150 - 160 Welkynd

Current CP Jewelry in the game is likely to be changed in material characteristic to reflect the new material style. So people hoarding CP 160 Jewelry won't be getting diamond (or CP 10 -30 materials).

Although they could radicalize it and just require more quantities of diamonds the higher CP you go.
    The Vegemite Knight

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting really tight on skill points too. In that regard, I wouldn't be too upset if they decide to revamp crafting tiers of all professions and cut out those tiny margin cp tiers (6-10) and squeeze them into 2 tiers. With the current cp gain you passed that gear faster than than you can gather mats for a full set. Plus they have only a one-time use per account, not like the sub-50 tiers. A man can only dream...
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 394 skill points in the game, with more coming. While I do agree it would be very nice to see those lower CP tiers reduced to one tier, skill points shouldn't be an issue.
    The Vegemite Knight

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are 394 skill points in the game, with more coming. While I do agree it would be very nice to see those lower CP tiers reduced to one tier, skill points shouldn't be an issue.

Oh it can be, trust me, especially if you main char is also your crafter and isn't locked into 1 for build or PvE/P only.

My sSorc uses around 370 skill points ATM. Without the weapon/ class or guild lines fully fleshed out. Then +ca. 15-20 for jewl crafting + ca. 10-20 for new guild.
    Mind that not everyone is a grand overlord in pvp.

Crafting now, without snakeblood, keen eyes, research shortening is 115 skill points already.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just read the preview article, and you will have to own Summerset in order to craft jewelry.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh it can be, trust me, especially if you main char is also your crafter and isn't locked into 1 for build or PvE/P only.

My sSorc uses around 370 skill points ATM. Without the weapon/ class or guild lines fully fleshed out. Then +ca. 15-20 for jewl crafting + ca. 10-20 for new guild.
    Mind that not everyone is a grand overlord in pvp.

Crafting now, without snakeblood, keen eyes, research shortening is 115 skill points already.

What skill lines do you have maxed, @Chilly-McFreeze?

My PvP healer has 380 skill points, maxed crafting, max class skills, most Alliance War and Mages Guild, three weapon lines ... with 14 unallocated skill points.

In other words, I’m skeptical that skill points are really as much of an issue as you say it is.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My PvP healer has 380 skill points, maxed crafting, max class skills, most Alliance War and Mages Guild, three weapon lines ... with 14 unallocated skill points.

In other words, I’m skeptical that skill points are really as much of an issue as you say it is.

How many of those skill points are from PvP?

Anyhow, my main crafter could be respecced to have anything he needs for DPS, healing or current crafting with 10+ points left over, depending on how much build flexibility I want. If I wanted to give him a tanking or heal-tanking option as well, however, there could be a crunch. Offloading the "better breakdown" skills to an alt would free up another 12 points.

That's based on his current skill points, which he got from:
    • 351/405 skyshards.
    • All but 1 public dungeon.
    • 17 group dungeons.
    • Just enough PvP to get Warhorn & Purge.
    • All skill point quests in the base game and Wrothgar, but none from other DLCs/Morrowind.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on March 28, 2018 9:01PM