Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do people level up new toons in 4 hours?

huschdeguddzje
huschdeguddzje
✭✭✭✭
Seriously I have full training gear popped a xp scroll and after 4 hours I'm level 16, I spent 3 hours grinding dolmens and paid someone 10k to take me trough the infamous skyreach grind. After about 1 hour the quest was finished and he left without a word. Now I have no gold and am only level 16. I could buy a 150xp scroll or 2 100 but I don't think I could put them to good use.
It is my 3rd char btw.
And I'm aware of the double xp event, unfortunately my Internet went down during that time.

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 4 hr leveling is by training a character on enchanting and alchemy, grabbing a ton of low value writs, and then turning in those completed writs for a ton of EXP. Its an extremely expensive, but also quick way of leveling to 50.
    Link: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/365804/fastest-leveling-25-50-in-a-little-over-2-hours/p1

Another thing to note is that Skyreach shouldn't take an hour for an exp run. That doesn't involve the quest. Instead you just gather all the mobs and burn them down with ultimates. The exp run is closer to 5 minutes if the person carrying you knows what they are doing. Look at some youtube videos to see what to expect.

Generally speaking, my preferred method for grinding out leveling new characters (I have eight, not counting the many alts who have been deleted because I got bored with them):
    • Doing Dolmens for the first time gives good exp
    • Running the dolmen loop in Alikr is great for Fighters Guild leveling - I get bored really quick though
    • If you have a tank or healer or can swap gear to be a tank or healer, doing the daily random dungeon is a great boost of exp. On a tank or healer, doing random dungeons through group finder is an excellent source of exp. I don't recommend this for a DPS because of the longer wait times unless you are friends with a tank or healer who will run with you.
    • The Main Quest gives good exp +skill points. Its nice to get to level 50 and not be completely starved for skill points. Plus, the gear is useless at Cp 160 anyways.
    • Pick one or two zones to level through by questing that fit the character's story. This is a great way to take a break when you'll seen all you can take of the Alikr Dolmen loop.

If you want to pay someone to help you level, go for skyreach runs. On PC/NA, these cost between 3-5k a run and shouldn't take you an hour.
    If you feel comfortable killing things yourself or have a friend willing to help you kill things, grind in a public dungeon or another place where you can find lots of enemies to kill. Public dungeons have lots of mobs, while Spellscar and Imperial City have lots of minibosses.

As for time? I leveled a character with no exp bonuses other than training gear to level 50 with about of week of questing and varying amounts of grinding through the day. Call it somewhere between 30-50 hours, because I can only grind so long before I decide I hate what I'm doing and have to do something else.
    Answer ✓
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [*] If you have a tank or healer or can swap gear to be a tank or healer, doing the daily random dungeon is a great boost of exp. On a tank or healer, doing random dungeons through group finder is an excellent source of exp. I don't recommend this for a DPS because of the longer wait times unless you are friends with a tank or healer who will run with you.

If you want to do this as a DPS, you can just queue and make your rounds at a grinding spot while waiting. :)

I personally find pure mob grinding terribly boring. So I very much agree with your last two points. :) I do the main quest, nMA, run through all the standard faction zones collecting wayshrines, skyshards, dolmens, lorebooks and public dungeons. I do random dungeons and some specific ones for the quests. At the end, I'm level 50, and have lots of skillpoints, Fighters Guild level 8, Mages Guild level 10 and Undaunted level 3-4. It takes much longer than 4 hours, but sanity stays intact. ;)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
    Answer ✓
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    [*] If you have a tank or healer or can swap gear to be a tank or healer, doing the daily random dungeon is a great boost of exp. On a tank or healer, doing random dungeons through group finder is an excellent source of exp. I don't recommend this for a DPS because of the longer wait times unless you are friends with a tank or healer who will run with you.

If you want to do this as a DPS, you can just queue and make your rounds at a grinding spot while waiting. :)

I personally find pure mob grinding terribly boring. So I very much agree with your last two points. :) I do the main quest, nMA, run through all the standard faction zones collecting wayshrines, skyshards, dolmens, lorebooks and public dungeons. I do random dungeons and some specific ones for the quests. At the end, I'm level 50, and have lots of skillpoints, Fighters Guild level 8, Mages Guild level 10 and Undaunted level 3-4. It takes much longer than 4 hours, but sanity stays intact. ;)
    Daily random dungeon is nice if you level up an alt, it takes many days but not much time on alt.
    Got up to 3 levels on character in the start, this was with 100% event + 50% xp scroll bonus, with dungeon quest you will get 2 levels. For an DD grind while queued.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Answer ✓
  • Amp151
    Amp151
    ✭✭✭
    Fastest I've done is 7 hours. That's with full training gear, xp scroll, and during a double XP event. Grinding skyreach with a friend for the XP bonus/faster kills.

Realistically solo I'd say you're looking at 15-20 hours. That'd be with XP scroll/potion grinding skyreach(3-4 minutes a run) or a similar dense mob area.

Add more time if you're not efficient at grinding mobs.

I've also heard of strategy's where ppl stockpile writs then use them on a new character.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that time when, due to a bug, the "blue" (now purple) random dungeon reward would reset immediately after completing it, as opposed to after 20h. You could level up chars reaaaally quickly then. Too bad they fixed that meanwhile. ;)

Yeah, thanks to strong scaling and reduced dungeon availability (only Banished Cells, Fungal Grotto and Spindleclutch from level 10 to 20, no more part 2 dungeons, no more DLC dungeons!) you can easily start running randoms now as soon as you reach level 10. :) It'll take a bit longer to complete them with only one skill bar, but that's okay.

Edited by Loc2262 on January 9, 2018 11:27AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go watch some Netflix while grinding and time will just floooow
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to do all of the dolmens and public dungeons in all of the zones. While I run between the dolmens in zones I queue for Battlegrounds and random dungeons.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speed leveling is overrated. I know on any new character I’m going to need plenty of skill points. So a new character runs all 20ish public dungeons on psijic for the 27 skill points. The 2 quests in each public dungeon are worth so much xp that it probably catches up to skyreach in xp/hr.

I also go close dolmens for the first time on each. The area clear helps work up fighters faster. And I’ll grab delves that are right by dolmens and dungeons for the shards.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I personally prefer to take 10-15 hours to level to vet while also putting in the necessary character work. To me that makes more sense than speed leveling and then having to go do all ofmshard hunting anyway.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't grind and have always had 1 or 2 characters below level 50.Taking more time means you can level up more skill lines and get more skill points through skyshards and group delves.

I currently have a level 28 in Cyrodiil and a level 31 in PVE, along with 11 other capped characters. I'm about to buy my 14th and 15th characters so I can start their horse training and play on them once my current characters 'graduate'.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I cleared one level in each stage of normal Maelstrom Arena ... with the 50% XP scroll that's dropped in the leveling rewards and training gear.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then spending another 2-3 days gathering skyshards, and if they need lorbooks - add another day or two! Never understood this thing.

I do "random" dungeons (not so random, I exclude all I already did), I go for skyshards in all regions, do all the delves and public dungeons, do all dolmens and kill all the world bosses and (if needed) get all the lorebooks.
    By this time, my character will have a ****load of skillpoints, I can go anywhere I want (because I find all the wayshrines too), have Fighter's Guild/Undaunted/Mages Guild fully leveled - and I have all skill lines/skills fully leveled. I do this in all training gear, and use ambrosia most or all of the time. I end up with a truly fully leveled character that needs no extra work afterwards. It takes me aprox from (for example) Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon.

I did this stupid "dolmen/skyreach grind" once, and not ever again. Because obvious: I had a lvl 50 character, which was like a baby anyway.
    Edited by Raudgrani on March 11, 2018 1:41PM
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you just want to level a character to 50, disregarding skyshards and lorebooks:
    training gear, 150% xp pots, group with a friend and go to spellscar. in 2h you are level 50, if your friend carries you.
    a good alternative is to run through all the public dungeons and get the shards + the group event.
    at 50 you are going to farm undaunted anyway, so you'll get the skill points from the quests anyway.