Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Need advice for starting a new PVE guild!

Araxyte
Araxyte
✭✭✭✭
So me and some friends have decided to start a new guild focused around PVE content. The long term goal is to have a fully operational veteran trial progression group for current and future trials. We also do dungeon motif speed farming, achievement farming and PVP every now and again.

Me and the three friends who started the guild are a very tight-knit and loyal group who never give up on PVE content and are devoted to helping others (such as obtaining skins and complete challenges). The problem is finding people who are the same. We would love to be able to teach new players with potential and progress as a strong unit, but we seem to be having trouble with finding players who will show up to trials on time, have a strong sense of moral and will stay in a practice run for at least 2 hours. It just seems impossible to find people who are friendly, have a good sense of team moral and are devoted to helping other players improve. We attempted to make a guild a few months back which failed horribly, on one side you had players that just didn't show up to events and found it very hard to improve and then there were the wana-be elitists (who weren't even very good) that would just rage in practice runs.

Why is it so hard to find the right players? How would we go about it? And what guild requirements should we have?

- The guild currently has 5 players as we have only just started it.
- The name of the guild is Sharknado.

Any advice would be appreciated :)
| All classes | PC EU |
  • WakeYourGhost
    WakeYourGhost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any advice?
    Never keep Real valuables in the Guild Bank, always watch those you allow access.
  • Amoureros
    Amoureros
    ✭✭✭
    Give loves to guildies. Make a warm and friendly environment! And love Bosmer!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araxyte wrote: »
    So me and some friends have decided to start a new guild focused around PVE content. The long term goal is to have a fully operational veteran trial progression group for current and future trials. We also do dungeon motif speed farming, achievement farming and PVP every now and again.

It took us a while to find people in our Social Guild to run Trials. We started out by offering normal mode as training runs. Did that for a few weeks then offered Veteran to those who wanted it. The key is, to run the Normals as if your running the Vet, which makes them harder to do than the old Stand and Burn you can get away with for most trials. We have 450 plus actives in our main guild, and it took a few months to find a core to run Vets with.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    You attract good players by having a established name for yourself. In good I mean listens follows directions shows up ready and isnt a burden to group. Its best to start with the hardest roles to fill two tanks and two healers so ppl don't have to worry about new supports coming in and causing countless wipes.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't give up! Continue to make advertisements in zone chat, guild forums and word of mouth. I started from scratch with my own guild, from zone chat adverts to guild forums so it does work.

Also, make sure you are quite clear in what you want for your guild, set targets or definitive target 'group' for the events you want to have in your guild. Sometimes all it needs is just a little bit of clarity. :wink:

Don't sweat on the number, it's better to have a smaller group, but tight knit and flawless in execution.

I'm not too sure on the guild name though, on my own part I wouldn't join a guild called Sharknado. It just attracts the wrong type of crowd imo. I would however, join a pve dungeon and trials guild called Sharkbait.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Don't give up! Continue to make advertisements in zone chat, guild forums and word of mouth. I started from scratch with my own guild, from zone chat adverts to guild forums so it does work.

Also, make sure you are quite clear in what you want for your guild, set targets or definitive target 'group' for the events you want to have in your guild. Sometimes all it needs is just a little bit of clarity. :wink:

Don't sweat on the number, it's better to have a smaller group, but tight knit and flawless in execution.

I'm not too sure on the guild name though, on my own part I wouldn't join a guild called Sharknado. It just attracts the wrong type of crowd imo. I would however, join a pve dungeon and trials guild called Sharkbait.

Thanks for the advice! The guild name can always been changed so that's not a problem. We were going for something funny in reference to the bad quality film Sharknado :p
    | All classes | PC EU |
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recently joined my mate's guild. It's "trial progression" guild, but more importantly it is a social guild and we have a ton of fun and there are players who are hardened trial vets as well as players who are as raw to PvE as botulism - like me.
    When I joined, I had lots of guildies taking me on daily pledges to get me (and other's) geared up fast. They also took the time to explain some really importamt aspects of gearing up and tactics (e.g. making sure one healer runs Mending and another runs Worm Cult).
    The main thing is that we make sure people woulld be a good fit for our guld, not the other way round. There are no requirements (minimum DPS etc) as we know that we all start off rubbish and that people can always be trained to get better.
    After just 2 weeks, I've completed vDSA (twice), vFL, vSCP, vFH. We tried vSCP HM but I'd never been there so the mechanics got the better of me. but the advice that people have shared is invaluable and I know we'll complete it soon! :)
    Good luck and I hope you have a ton of success with yuour new guild :)
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    on gw i used to help players in fow , sf ,they are dungeons , when we had max death penalty , they playes who worked through this are the ones you want in the guild , in other words players with patience ,i used to recruit them to my guild most i ever had was 30+ , but we was all friends .

so go do random pugs , also do some training videos , i am in 4 guilds 2 social 2 trade , i help new players in normall dungeons every day , mind you cp 210 healer .

look at what most struggle with and help there ,the spot light should be on friends/social since i think thats what you are after .
    sometimes better to recruit new players and train them .

social media is your friend .you have facebook , steam , eso forums, redditt ,twitter , you tube , to name a few .

• HonestGabe
    HonestGabe
    ✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »

Thanks for the advice! The guild name can always been changed so that's not a problem. We were going for something funny in reference to the bad quality film Sharknado :p

Hey man! A long time family friend's son created the Sharknado series... Yupp bad quality :P
    Altaholic
    PC/NA
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We would love to be able to teach new players with potential and progress as a strong unit, but we seem to be having trouble with finding players who will show up to trials on time, have a strong sense of moral and will stay in a practice run for at least 2 hours.

I don't think a guild with exclusively top tier vet trial players is sustainable. All guilds constantly have people leaving, taking break from the game or quitting to join other guilds.

I suggest to adjust focus and keep recruiting lots of new players every day. Maybe have some specific vet trial run schedule and other normal trial schedule. The ones who are not as skilled you can teach. If you recruit every day, eventually you will have few hundred active members and at least a few dozen who are becoming skilled at endgame PVE and very active in your guild.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Best way to start a new guild is to not start it.

2. If 1 is ignored then you must determine what type of trial guild do you want. This determines the guilds dps requirements and other aspects. List what gear you want healers and tanks to wear. Of course code of conduct which is sometimes needed.

Then comes the raid leaders. Need more than one. Everyone needs a break from that.
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are solutions to your problems.
    Attendance, this is easy, having a bigger guild, have 2 core run during week, 3-4 open run on weekend, sure you will get different ppl, but ar least you get ppl. you want more open run than core runs so newer ppl can get on runs.
    The problem with ‘wanna be elite’, well you need a clear req for entry and core, example would be dps req 30k stam or 27k mag to enter, 35k stam 32k mag plus 10 open trial completed with guild to be core.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tried 5 times to make a guild farthet i got was 55 members
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run pugs often and invite anyone who shows promise.

Don't obsess with having a massive guild with lots of members, it's better to just focus on getting the right people. If it stays reasonably small you stand more chance of keeping that close knit feel. More people usually equals more conflict!

It'll be slow going for a while but will soon pick up. What platform/server are you on?
    PS4 EU
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    In short, it takes time. Sounds like you got that from previous posts, but in reality in any MMO trying to filter out players to get a dedicated group is tough, and takes time. The only ways to speed up the process are:

1) have a really big guild (a.k.a. big pool) so you have more people already primed to run groups with. We did this in my raid group back in WoW vamilla/BC days. We were a casual guild, and had a packed roster, but it was still difficult even with that many peeps to get a dedicated set of 10 players who would consistently show up, listen to directions, and also be geared and prepped for the difficulty of content. We had to regularly turn away good players and friends who wanted to run, but didn't have the gear ilvl to make it. Less of an issue in ESO, but still something that makes getting that tight team a bit more difficult.

2) Have a solid group of experienced players already, and a positive reputation. This is the flip side of the coin. a guild with a Name that is known and respected, and you will get more committed peeps who are willing to join. experienced and committed players are usually far more willing to join a guild when they know they will get results out of the time they put into it. This is the biggest reason that new guilds struggle initially...the seasoned players want to know they are getting a serious guild just as much as a guild wants to know it's getting serious players.

In your case, both of these will initially be difficult. #1 would be easier for you in your current situation, but managing a large guild takes it's toll, so you may end up just reverting back to the whole time thing. even so, you will want casuals and crafters in your guild as much as trial players. you need a larger base to pull ideas and resources from, and there are many people that aren't necessarily raiders at this point that would love to be able to craft and gather resources for their guild.

Due to the nature of having 5 guild slots, that last pert isn't as critical as it is in an MMO where your limited to only one guild, but it's still an aspect of guild growth that you need to take into account. Here's a few more tips for guild growth from a dude that's been a raid leader and guild leader in MMO's for the last decade and a half:

1) Delegate, Don't micro-manage
    Micro-management (a.k.a. trying to do and/or monitor everything yourself) is a fast track to GL burnout. pick people who want to help lead in specific aspects, and trust them to do it. examples in this game would be Trial leaders (multiple), open world run leaders, crafting/resource leads, new player leads, Market trader lead, etc. having multiple people to split these aspects up leads into #2...

2) guild events. And not just raffles, but weekly or nightly events. Everything from dolmen runs to delve groups to world boss runs. These will feel stagnant initially, but having them regularly and at specific times gets your Guildmates trained and prepped to expect consistency in timing and schedules, and they will be far more ready and willing to commit to a consistent trial schedule when this expectation is set and honored.

3) guild trader. Even if your a trial guild, having a smaller trader helps a ton in guild growth and prosperity. most guild use weekly or monthly raffles for this effect. a trade tarrif can be used, but that's usually for trading guilds, and can have a negative effect on a trial guild, so stick with the raffles. This can also attract casual crafters who don't want to dedicate themselves to a weekly tax just to be in a trading guild, which leads back to the whole larger guild concept.

4) don't give up on group events. Even if you don't have the players that night to run a trial, do something different. world bosses in X zone, or group delvs in craiglorn, or SOMETHING. The key here isn't necessarily what you do, it's the consistency with scheduling and results, which is explained in #2, OR, if you are a member of multiple guilds (this is where the guild setup in ESO shines), recruit players from other guild for that nights run. you may easily end up getting another dedicated guild member out of it when they realize that your events are scheduled and consistent (see how much this comes up? big deal.)

One of the biggest keys to growth is consistency. I've seen guilds break up because leaders stopped offering daily/weekly scheduled event because people didn't "show up". They won't. At least initially. over time though, the players that are dedicated, or have the POTENTIAL to be dedicated, will. and slowly your pool of players who are willing to put down the time necessary will grow, and so will your trial teams as a result.
    Edited by temjiu on March 5, 2018 10:44PM
  • Lotka
    Lotka
    ✭✭✭
    It will take time. You'll grow numbers when going out and inviting a person or two to your group and then guild. I suggest you be a be a manager (not owner) of a guild or get in a guild and help out a lot before starting your own- so you can get more exp
    Edited by Lotka on March 5, 2018 10:49PM
    PC NA Server
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    here is my advice:
    Give up, there is no point trying now only to fail later...everyone fails...you will fail...and its not your fault...but theirs!
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Establish days and times for specific events.
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭
    temjiu wrote: »
    In short, it takes time. Sounds like you got that from previous posts, but in reality in any MMO trying to filter out players to get a dedicated group is tough, and takes time. The only ways to speed up the process are:

1) have a really big guild (a.k.a. big pool) so you have more people already primed to run groups with. We did this in my raid group back in WoW vamilla/BC days. We were a casual guild, and had a packed roster, but it was still difficult even with that many peeps to get a dedicated set of 10 players who would consistently show up, listen to directions, and also be geared and prepped for the difficulty of content. We had to regularly turn away good players and friends who wanted to run, but didn't have the gear ilvl to make it. Less of an issue in ESO, but still something that makes getting that tight team a bit more difficult.

2) Have a solid group of experienced players already, and a positive reputation. This is the flip side of the coin. a guild with a Name that is known and respected, and you will get more committed peeps who are willing to join. experienced and committed players are usually far more willing to join a guild when they know they will get results out of the time they put into it. This is the biggest reason that new guilds struggle initially...the seasoned players want to know they are getting a serious guild just as much as a guild wants to know it's getting serious players.

In your case, both of these will initially be difficult. #1 would be easier for you in your current situation, but managing a large guild takes it's toll, so you may end up just reverting back to the whole time thing. even so, you will want casuals and crafters in your guild as much as trial players. you need a larger base to pull ideas and resources from, and there are many people that aren't necessarily raiders at this point that would love to be able to craft and gather resources for their guild.

Due to the nature of having 5 guild slots, that last pert isn't as critical as it is in an MMO where your limited to only one guild, but it's still an aspect of guild growth that you need to take into account. Here's a few more tips for guild growth from a dude that's been a raid leader and guild leader in MMO's for the last decade and a half:

1) Delegate, Don't micro-manage
    Micro-management (a.k.a. trying to do and/or monitor everything yourself) is a fast track to GL burnout. pick people who want to help lead in specific aspects, and trust them to do it. examples in this game would be Trial leaders (multiple), open world run leaders, crafting/resource leads, new player leads, Market trader lead, etc. having multiple people to split these aspects up leads into #2...

2) guild events. And not just raffles, but weekly or nightly events. Everything from dolmen runs to delve groups to world boss runs. These will feel stagnant initially, but having them regularly and at specific times gets your Guildmates trained and prepped to expect consistency in timing and schedules, and they will be far more ready and willing to commit to a consistent trial schedule when this expectation is set and honored.

3) guild trader. Even if your a trial guild, having a smaller trader helps a ton in guild growth and prosperity. most guild use weekly or monthly raffles for this effect. a trade tarrif can be used, but that's usually for trading guilds, and can have a negative effect on a trial guild, so stick with the raffles. This can also attract casual crafters who don't want to dedicate themselves to a weekly tax just to be in a trading guild, which leads back to the whole larger guild concept.

4) don't give up on group events. Even if you don't have the players that night to run a trial, do something different. world bosses in X zone, or group delvs in craiglorn, or SOMETHING. The key here isn't necessarily what you do, it's the consistency with scheduling and results, which is explained in #2, OR, if you are a member of multiple guilds (this is where the guild setup in ESO shines), recruit players from other guild for that nights run. you may easily end up getting another dedicated guild member out of it when they realize that your events are scheduled and consistent (see how much this comes up? big deal.)

One of the biggest keys to growth is consistency. I've seen guilds break up because leaders stopped offering daily/weekly scheduled event because people didn't "show up". They won't. At least initially. over time though, the players that are dedicated, or have the POTENTIAL to be dedicated, will. and slowly your pool of players who are willing to put down the time necessary will grow, and so will your trial teams as a result.

Some really good advice here, thank you.
    | All classes | PC EU |
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't make it a democracy
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nighn_9 wrote: »
    Don't make it a democracy

Well that's a little out of left field.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think a good way to get PvE players in when you don't have a raiding group jet is to organize raids and invite people from your friendslist or other guilds. Once you have them hooked they may join your guild in order to always be informed when you do raids. Once you have enough such people in your guild you can form a core group from that.
    From my experience people don't join guilds that can't offer them anything, so showing people what you can offer and inviting them later is a good way to get them interested and convince them that your guild is worth joining.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What server, platform are you on? Some those types of players maybe here...
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What server, platform are you on? Some those types of players maybe here...

PC EU.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new guild is up on the forum recruitment page EU, thanks for the advice :) Here's the name/ image.
    cpHubG7.png
    | All classes | PC EU |