I pre-purchased a copy of the standard Elder Scrolls online for my wife and myself (one copy each.) I purchased it from Amazon. Once I realized that the codes were 3 days instead of 5 days, I canceled and re-ordered from the ESO website. The money has been deducted from my account and it says on both confirmation screens we can login and play. When I try to login, both accounts get a 103 error stating that we do not have permissions to play. I check the Billing History page and it shows our old 3-day access codes still attached, but not the 5 day early access or the imperial editions that we purchased from the website.
Edited by Gondrith on March 30, 2014 8:33PM
I have not received the new codes via email, but I have received order confirmations. Nothing is in the spam folder, other random folders that it could possibly be under, and nothing in the trash.