The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Downloading 38GB update

DemiDemon
DemiDemon
✭✭
I bought ESO Gold Edition for Christmas. I just got around to updating it. Well, I literally just went to start it and now it wants to do yet another 38GB download even though it's already done so. Is this supposed to happen or did mine mess up? This is a bit insane as it's going to take me at least 2-3 days to download this update once again.

Or not, I have no idea what is going on now. :/
Edited by DemiDemon on February 27, 2018 1:35PM
PC/Xbox One - NA
  • Aeph
    Aeph
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming you're on console, Dragonbones DLC releases today and regardless of whether you're getting the DLC or not there's a big patch that adds some quality of life improvements / bug fixes etc to the base game which you will have to install.

Nothing messed up and it's not related to Gold Edition, it also won't take 2-3 days, get it going now and you'll be back online in a few hours.
  • DemiDemon
    DemiDemon
    ✭✭
    @Aeph

Yeah, that's why I posted it in the Xbox section. I know how ESO works, I've got it on PC as well. It's not that big of a patch, maybe 2-3GB for Dragonbone judging from PC standards.

Oh, yeah it messed up and I caused a majority of it by accident. It will take 2-3 days due to my internet speed (360kbp/s at max) so, that is definitely not up for debate. I did not know canceling a update would remove it, sadly (first new gen console, so don't know all the details about it yet). It's ripping the 40GB off the disc right now, gonna figure out stuff from there afterwards but I do not understand why it went and redownloaded that same exact 38GBs I should have downloaded from that massive 57GB update that took 3-4 days to do.
    Edited by DemiDemon on February 27, 2018 1:49PM
    PC/Xbox One - NA
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t assume PC update size matches Xbox update sizes. I don’t know the size but from history the sizes vary depending on your platform and console region
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • DemiDemon
    DemiDemon
    ✭✭
    @NewBlacksmurf

Oh, how lovely. :/ It takes me forever to download anything with my net. I figured they'd be roughly the same size. I don't get why they need such a massive download. Either way, may just wait till Xbox Ones maint is up and try downloading then. Maybe it'll get the new patch with it and I wont have to worry so much.
    PC/Xbox One - NA
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it takes you 2-3 days to download, your connection might be so slow as to make the game unplayable anyway. Check Detailed Network Statistics under Network settings and see what your reported Latency is. If it's greater than around 200 ms, you're going to see problems.

Edited for spelling.
    Edited by GimpyPorcupine on February 27, 2018 2:35PM
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • DemiDemon
    DemiDemon
    ✭✭
    @GimpyPorcupine

I already play it on PC. It runs fine other than when there is a fairly large amount of players in an area. I have even PVPed before along with playing many other MMO games. The download speed sucks but otherwise runs fine after download. I have even played multi-player on Xbox before. Never really have lag issues. It takes 2-3 days for large files. If it's only 38, it'll take about a day and a half or so. Roughly a gig every 45 minutes - 1 hour. This is why I rely on discs for large games. Oddly enough, my net is better now than when it was when I first started playing. It ran far worse then.

Can we please worry about the question, rather than wether I can play when I do on PC as is? I've played MMOs before and clearly have played the PC version of ESO. Wether it can handle it isn't the problem. It can and I know it will.

The problem is why it seemed to re-download after I started it earlier. It was still in maint mode and as far as I remember, you can't get the patch while it's going.
    PC/Xbox One - NA
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not "re-downloading"...it is downloading the new DLC, which drops today...and you can download and install on console while servers are down...
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DemiDemon wrote: »
    @NewBlacksmurf

Oh, how lovely. :/ It takes me forever to download anything with my net. I figured they'd be roughly the same size. I don't get why they need such a massive download. Either way, may just wait till Xbox Ones maint is up and try downloading then. Maybe it'll get the new patch with it and I wont have to worry so much.

@DemiDemon
    It’s prob out of the developers control to some extent.

Obviously some of it is within their control but I recall rather large updates after they added Xbox one x support so what’s occurring is everyone is getting the same files regardless of hardware (for Xbox one) or at least that’s how it was commented upon.

I’d encourage anyone who intend on playing server based or online required games to invest in connections where the ISP advertises 300 MB’s download speeds or higher where available.

Wireless is going to be much lower but the ISP bandwidth is step 1 for many of us.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 27, 2018 5:09PM
  • koralr33fer
    koralr33fer
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'll see ya on xbox in 4 days lmao, i have a poor internet in my area, I live in the boonies and can only get satellite internet....sigh. I get like 6 mbps on a good day. 38 GB seems like a ridiculous amount for an outfit system and 2 dungeons...but oh well...
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been getting roughly a gig per hour, anyone else having really slow download speeds on this one?

Live in the UK
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • DemiDemon
    DemiDemon
    ✭✭
    @sevomd69

Oh, no, it is reinstalling. I did not know if you canceled a download on Xbox One, it rips the full thing off.

@NewBlacksmurf

Yeah, and I got a Xbox One X so that's probably why mine are even larger now. Wish we had the option to turn that off. I got it mostly for the hardware improvements and not the 4k aspect.

I don't have that kind of luck. I am lucky enough to have the one I have now without a bandwidth cap. I do not live in a area where anyone gives a crap about our net speed. Anything better has a cap to it and I live with 2 other people. We'd eat through it easily.

@koralr33fer

Probably longer than that, I'm afraid. It's redownloading the 57GB update now and I have no idea if the new 38GB one is included. So possibly 5 days until I can actually play. Wanted to get Morrowind done sometime tomorrow too. So, this royally sucks.

@Sparr0w

Sorry, can't help with this one. Live in the US.
    PC/Xbox One - NA
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone from ZoS please explain to me why a DLC with two dungeons, an outfit system, and a few other things is 38gb? That's bigger than many full Xbox games. I've heard some theories but would actually like to know.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on February 28, 2018 12:49AM
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my Xbox set to download updates overnight... except ESO updates for some reason. :( ESO updates are the only ones I ever see happening.
  • DemiDemon
    DemiDemon
    ✭✭
    @Appleblade

Dunno, since I don't know your download speed, I got nothing I can help with. I turn my Xbox off completely and just download things as I need'em. Sadly have to redo my entire ESO Xbox version cuz of the mishap. Dx
    PC/Xbox One - NA
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I meant ESO updates seem excluded from the automatic downloads completely. They don’t happen until the next time I try to play the game whereas every other game updates itself in the night.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appleblade wrote: »
    No, I meant ESO updates seem excluded from the automatic downloads completely. They don’t happen until the next time I try to play the game whereas every other game updates itself in the night.

Im seeing the same thing. Have a call in with support (Xbox) so will hopefully get some answers :smile:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it makes you feel better, it took me 50 minutes ;)

I feel your pain. Up until a year or so ago I had 5mb internet. ESO updates were horrendous on it.
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 28, 2018 8:27AM
  • DemiDemon
    DemiDemon
    ✭✭
    @Brrrofski

No, that don't make me feel better. XD I'd love to have a decent internet. Download was at about 18GB last I looked but sadly, gotta do the new one after it I believe unless that was included in already. So gonna be a bit with that yet. Dx
    PC/Xbox One - NA
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t believe anyone can opt out on Xbox one.
    Regardless of the console the files are the same per ZOS staff.

As an example my son’s Xbox one S also had a 38 Gig update as well as a real life friend who uses the Xbox one (original)

Hope you can find a company to run a line to your area. I’ve heard that if X number of residents make a request and sign up for whatever commitment some ISPs will run a line out there. Not sure how any of that works it’s just what I’ve heard as we purchased a new home 2 years ago and our neighborhood was the only one in a city of over 1 million residents with Google Fiber.

I’m sure there a lot more to it tho. Best wishes
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 28, 2018 1:45PM
  • KillingUGirl
    KillingUGirl
    ✭✭✭
    4 of my friends are still downloading it has been going since the release that’s what 2 days now yuck. Mine only took 45 minutes I feel bad for all those having such issues and plus with all the Xbox issues right now even if you do get into the game you can barely stay connected anyways, at least that’s how it is for the majority of the people in our guilds.