Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why am I so terrible at this game?

rmthomas90
rmthomas90
Soul Shriven
I’m terrible! I spend so much money on health potions and then use them right away. I can’t seem to slot more than one item either. I just be missing some tricks or something but man I suck lol
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for help, more info is needed other than just saying "I suck". What race and class are you? What skills are you using? What armor? What weapons? Where are you assigning your attribute points?
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using any skills or just swinging your weapon? That is the reason most people have issues with combat is they don't use the skills. In fact, skills are your primary damage, with weapon attacks being used to weave in between.

See This:

Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.

And, do you have gear in every slot? While matched sets are better, anything is better than nothing.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• rmthomas90
    rmthomas90
    Soul Shriven
    I’m only level 19:( lol I’m terrible!
    Yes I have gear in every slot. I use the skills, but maybe not effectively enough. I play on the PS4, but have only been playing for maybe a couple weeks, here and there.

For example: I went to discover the leader of the veiled Inheritance and was supposed to take down 3 of the higher ups. It literally took less than a minute to die, EACH TIME and I died probably 15 times before giving up and leaving lol
  • rmthomas90
    rmthomas90
    Soul Shriven
    I’ve never played online before, so the whole format is different than, say skyrim for example. I don’t have the game in front of me right now, so I can’t give many specifics. I’m a wood elf, level 19, night blade (I think it’s called). I’ve been focusing on putting my points in mostly health, in hopes that I don’t die quite as quick
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC/NA, im in good Guilds, Newbie Friendly. Im @DirkRavenclaw in Game. Lets see, im getting now online :)
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ideally you want most of your attributes in the one that scales your skills. But, since we are all running on Magic Skills until you can morph then, that means magic for now, and stamina later. I am assuming Stamina NB as your a Bosmer and that is best suited to a Stamina focus. From here on out, put your points into Magic until you get the respec scroll the game gives you from leveling. Then you can spec your Attributes into Stamina and your Morphs into Stamina Choices.

Do you use Foods? Ask in zone chat if someone can make you some scalable foods to boost your attributes.

Don;'t stand there and take damage, Block (right trigger probably), move around, dodge roll, get out of red, if the red is going towards you, move to the side

There are some nice skills in the NB line, like the one it's either Hidden or Shrouded Dagger that does damage to 3 mobs. Also, you might find a bow easier to use early on, then add in the Dual Wield (Bow and DW are tyical NB weapons, but you can do others if you want)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you want some more survivability. My advice? Throw on some heavy armor until you figure out what you're doing, and try using some abilities that give you healing. Try to avoid potions until you work on some harder content. And if nothing else, try joining a helpful guild - that's always a good idea!
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rmthomas90 wrote: »
    I’ve never played online before, so the whole format is different than, say skyrim for example. I don’t have the game in front of me right now, so I can’t give many specifics. I’m a wood elf, level 19, night blade (I think it’s called). I’ve been focusing on putting my points in mostly health, in hopes that I don’t die quite as quick

Some tips:
    1. You are playing wood elf which is designed for stamina characters. Put some points into stamina then, this will increase your damage.
    2. Use two-handed weapons. At first they look not so good but there are 3 amazing skills that will make you almost invincible in PvE.
    a) The most important one is Cleave (third one). You need to morph it into Brawler. This will give you shield each time you use it and the more enemies you hit, the bigger shild will be. It also damages your enemies and make them bleed so called DoT damage (damage over time). You can survive almost any fight by just using this skill and heavy attack to restore stamina.
    b) When you will get used to killing things, you will probably want to kill mobs faster. This is where Reverse Slash (fourth skill) morphed into Reverse Slice comes into action. It deals AoE damage (area of effect) like brawler but these damage are increased the lower your enemy HP is, so when you brought at least one enemy below 50%, 2-3 uses of this skill will finish whole group.
    c) Momentum (fifth skill) morphed into Rally. This skill doesnt deal any damage but it increases all damage you do with other skills and attacks (physical and poison ones), heals you each second allowing you to survive more and when your health is critical you can use it again to heal your self almost to full.

Also you have mechanics like Roll Dodge (allows you to dodge any single attack directed at you, also alows you to escape out of roots), Block (reduces damage you recieve by a half) and Break Free (when you are stunned or feared you can do this to end the disabling effect and react faster).
    Edited by Mayrael on February 27, 2018 8:41AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Meryyl
    Meryyl
    ✭✭✭
    Police Detective: “Why did you shoot him, Marlowe?”
    Phillip Marlowe: “There was a lot of killing going on and I wasn’t getting my fair share.”
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    are you pc eu if you are add me i help you . as a few players have given you lots of help
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a nightblade and you will outclass every other non nightblade player
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a learning curve getting used to the mechanics if you're not familiar with MMO's. Took me 2 characters to get to a point im happy with.

Only thing I can suggest is:
    • looking at tutorials on combat - light/heavy attack weaving, AoE, DoT etc... look at Gilliam & Alcast
    • spec majority points into either mag or stam (probably go with a 3/1 ratio with health until you're comfortable)
    • Use a heavy armour set with mag/stam enchants until you're comfortable with survival, or morph skills to ones that heal you.
    • join a friendly guild (can be found in game chat, or on the sub section of these forums) - this one's probably the most important.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    Also remember that if you are using your skills and running out of stamina, hold R2 to land a heavy attack. This will regenerate some of your stamina. If you run out of Magicka, a heavy attack (holding R2) with a staff with replenish some of that. That is why rotations are important, especially early on when you don't have a lot of regeneration from weapon and armor enchantments, or passive skills. Eating food that increases your recovery times also goes a long way. I would also agree to use a lot of heavy armor for now. I wouldnt worry so much about your health. You want to kill the enemy faster. The faster you kill them, the less damage they do to you.

It sounds like you might be playing the game the way a tank would. But you are nowhere near set up to act as a tank. If you could list your skills, people would be able to tell you if they are effective or irrelevant. Try getting a bow and using more ranged attacks to avoid standing in the middle of a mob and taking damage. With a bow, equip a AoE (area of effect) skill. When you approach the mob use volley on them before they know you are there. This will take a chunk out of them before you enter the battle.
    PS4/NA
    Jasunr Cosmus - Imperial Templar, Supreme Healer of the Cosmos CP 240
    Itzal Siavish - Khajit NB, Thief LVL 38
    Bruxana - Altmer Sorc, Powerhouse DPS Lvl 18
    Torvakor - Redguard Stam Warden Lvl 7
    Langsdon Emerson - Imperial DK Tank - Lvl 31