Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Happened to Pulsar?

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Ok, I know it has never really been a great skill, but it used to look really cool. Like a big huge billowing ☁ of flame that would ripple when you spam it. Now it goes bang bang. Bang bang bang. It’s so bad.

I was trying to use it on magic warden going fire and ice. He’s also not super good, but fun to play. I can’t see making him setup just like a Sorc. So he can perform, not as good as a Sorc.

Proudly getting 13k DPS with this guy. With double maelstrom. No cheese. Is there any?

ZOS need fix this Craptastic game. It shouldn’t even be possible to get this bad of DPS at my level.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... You don't want to make a good build but you want to have good dps? What?

There have been parses of magdens wiith 35k+ dps, so maybe, just maybe, it really is just you.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »

ZOS need fix this Craptastic game. It shouldn’t even be possible to get this bad of DPS at my level.

Have you consider the possibility that it is your level that needs fixing?
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There’s quite a gap. 13k vs 35k legendary Maelstrom Frosty and Inferno winterborn and willpower with Iceheart monsta. This stuff all looks like it made to go on frost warden.

Maybe I pick up some yasgomoor 400 frost damage set? I’m fairly confident it would still suck pretty bad too.

The redeeming factors of playing something that looks cool are just getting slimmed down. That’s why I tried pulsar. It looked cool at one time, not anymore though.

I could deck him out in Necro/Illambris/IA/ Maelstrom and....I just don’t want to do that. He’s the warden. Supposed to be different and strong and cool.

Every one of my Stam toons has rocked VO and NMG at one point. They don’t anymore. This guy should be better than that.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned with the Minor Mangle only seeming to apply to 1 target at a time. :/
    Argonian forever
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say "Double Maelstrom", and you're using pulsar, it is instantly apparent that the problem isn't the game. It's true that Magdens have lower DPS than other classes at endgame, but you aren't even close to being in a position to complain about that yet. You should be able to hit 30k fairly easily with a proper build. You're choosing to limit yourself then complaining about being limited.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Double maelstorm?

This must be a troll thread...
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned with the Minor Mangle only seeming to apply to 1 target at a time. :/

Terrible bug lol. Should be 6 targets max given their new rules.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The biggest troll I think was weekly reward giving me a legendary maelstrom frost staff. I wasn’t about to gold one out.

Trying to make it work anyways.

Surely you all remember when pulsar looked cool at least. It doesn’t anymore. I can live with 13k DPS if it looks cool.

I have the stuff and could deck him out for better damage, but then loses all the identity of being an ice Mage with ice damage passives and he becomes a weaker Sorc.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure?
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go Master Architect + Mechanical Acuity + Skoria\Nerein'eth on warden or go home. Sorry, you have no other options, unless you're fine with 13k dps. In that case enjoy your winterborn.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest troll I think was weekly reward giving me a legendary maelstrom frost staff. I wasn’t about to gold one out.

Surely you all remember when pulsar looked cool at least. It doesn’t anymore. I can live with 13k DPS if it looks cool.

I have the stuff and could deck him out for better damage, but then loses all the identity of being an ice Mage with ice damage passives and he becomes a weaker Sorc.
    Assuming this isn't just a troll/bait thread I'll give a serious answer.

If you want to play thematic builds you won't be competitive. That's a sad truth of ESO which isn't going to change no matter how much you desire it.
    There are some skills and sets which won't work for competitive DPS, each class and weapon line has now been worked to have a "spam" skill which you weave into a light attack rotation otherwise buffing your damage with DoT's. That's the combat design of the game now and that's what a DPS has to do.

Ice Staves are now tank weapons, they're not designed for DPS in group situations and building around one may work with overland content but won't hold up in harder group play.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I’m not actually trolling. I’m not even looking for elite Damage on snowflake build. Mostly I’m trying to play decent and intuitively to the strengths of the class, but finding them fall way short.

It’s dissapointing that it perform so poorly in group content. I have all the other classes to play as well, this is just one. I know many people that still only have one toon they play, so they feel even more discouraged if their class is basically not good.

I keep doing my overland and guild quests thinking this class is great, but sit in front of a skeleton for a second and realize it’s just bad. Like really bad.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only use I could find for Maelstrom ice staff would be for magicka Tanking if you go Maelstrom 1H+S front bar and 2 x 5 piece sets on body without monster set, but TBH any other staff would work in that regard and 2 x 5 + Monster set will beat that every time. Maybe for some PvP builds as well that use blockade as snare then weave plenty of light and heavy attacks but that would be clunky. As for Pulsar I can't even think of an use for that skill, besides PvP ball groups that spam that in conjunction with other AoEs like Sap Essence, Proximity Detonation and Eye of the Flame.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE has fallen into a kind of set place in regards to how you perform damage and that's what development considers going forwards.

As I said above at the very basics it's as follows.
    • Place ground AoE DoT/DoT
    • Light weave / spam attack
    • Reapply ground AoE DoT/DoT
    • Light attack weave / Spam attack
    • Repeat
    As someone who's often tried to fights against the meta (in ESO and other MMO games) I can tell you that you'll be much happier if you just accept that's how it works and play with it.
    Sure it sucks, I would love to run my Nightblade with Lich, Warmaiden and have Soul Assault as an ultimate (soul mage) but it's just not viable enough to reach the numbers the game expects.

When you say you want to play to the strengths of your class you have to remember that those strengths have been well determined, tested and debated by the top tier players and that's where the meta comes from. They're not making special cheesy builds but looking at what's the most effective way to play that class at its strongest and doing so.

You can always tweak a class to your desires as well but knowing the basics of why the top players make the choices they do is important.
    The class you're trying to make (Ice/Fire) Warden isn't playing on the strengths of that class as all their (and destructions) ice skills are primarily meant to be tanking skills meaning they lack damage in place of utility/buff.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, so can the mobs...for a really, really long time. B)

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    13k DPS is Blockade and light attacks. Better slot some more skills.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps we must wait for another few years, when the 5th Arena comes and with it, the Pulsar master weapon. And who knows, maybe it will be super powerful :) Of course it must only compete with Asylum and Maelstrom weapons, which won't be easy if not impossible.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Perhaps we must wait for another few years, when the 5th Arena comes and with it, the Pulsar master weapon. And who knows, maybe it will be super powerful :) Of course it must only compete with Asylum and Maelstrom weapons, which won't be easy if not impossible.

This might be what it needs an arena staff added to it. Though before I go. Minior mangle makes a nice support skill for healers.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're right about the effect...

Particularly on a magDK when the exhale part of Inhale goes off at the same time - flames everywhere! :)
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

Are you sure?

It can apply to multiple targets but only after casting it multiple times, instead of just one and everyone getting it.

So to effect 6 targets, you need to cast it 6 times, assuming it doesn't just refresh an already debuffed target instead of the ones currently unaffected by Minor Mangle.
    Argonian forever
  • FrostFallFox
    FrostFallFox
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's possible to get 30k using Winterborn and Iceheart, I've tried :)

Either use the bear ult or slot an asylum staff.
    \(^-,,-^)/
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I know it has never really been a great skill, but it used to look really cool. Like a big huge billowing ☁ of flame that would ripple when you spam it. Now it goes bang bang. Bang bang bang. It’s so bad.

I was trying to use it on magic warden going fire and ice. He’s also not super good, but fun to play. I can’t see making him setup just like a Sorc. So he can perform, not as good as a Sorc.

Proudly getting 13k DPS with this guy. With double maelstrom. No cheese. Is there any?

there are still serious callings here for further NERFS on wardens!
    better delete your char!
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s quite a gap. 13k vs 35k legendary Maelstrom Frosty and Inferno winterborn and willpower with Iceheart monsta. This stuff all looks like it made to go on frost warden.

Maybe I pick up some yasgomoor 400 frost damage set? I’m fairly confident it would still suck pretty bad too.

The redeeming factors of playing something that looks cool are just getting slimmed down. That’s why I tried pulsar. It looked cool at one time, not anymore though.

I could deck him out in Necro/Illambris/IA/ Maelstrom and....I just don’t want to do that. He’s the warden. Supposed to be different and strong and cool.

Every one of my Stam toons has rocked VO and NMG at one point. They don’t anymore. This guy should be better than that.

Ice staff is meant for a tanking and not for a damage. as for the sets, they are outdated relics from time when ice staves were still for damage (apart from ice heart which I also find useful in vMA). It's like you were trying to make an effective dd with sword and board. It wont hit hard but it can take a few more hits.
    Most of the content in this game can be done even with the 13k dps you get with that cool set though. It's just a couple of hard mode dungeons and vet trials that require maximal dps.
    Edited by Sinolai on March 1, 2018 10:02AM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok. I dropped pulsar. The skill is just not very good. I still remember it used to have better animation, and I would use it if it still did, but for now siege shield would be a better option.

I picked up a lightning staff front bar. Still back barring my precious Maelstrom Ice staff reward. Got up to 22K with a little practice.

I can be happy with this and the Normal mobs are still quite easily dispatched.
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get good DPS: Don't use Pulsar
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • alexfergussoncooper
    Ok, so I have a Warden ice mage, yes it may just be to complete the trio of elemental mag DDs but I still get 30+k DPS. I use Ysgramor's Birthright and MD with of course, Iceheart. I've yet to get (and keep now) a vMA frost staff, so my DPS isn't bad considering this.

I am using a Master frost staff on front however to use frost clench as my main single target attack. I use only ice elemental attacks, so for your 13k DPS... Really?

But as for pulsar, on all my mag DDs I slot this for trash if doing random normal, but for anything else you shouldn't be that close to so many enemies unless maybe you're a magDK.

But in terms of the pulsar animation, if your memory serves you right, I'd like to see this animation.
  • alexfergussoncooper
    Ok, so I have a Warden ice mage, yes it may just be to complete the trio of elemental mag DDs but I still get 30+k DPS. I use Ysgramor's Birthright and MD with of course, Iceheart. I've yet to get (and keep now) a vMA frost staff, so my DPS isn't bad considering this.

I am using a Master frost staff on front however to use frost clench as my main single target attack. I use only ice elemental attacks, so for your 13k DPS... Really?

But as for pulsar, on all my mag DDs I slot this for trash if doing random normal, but for anything else you shouldn't be that close to so many enemies unless maybe you're a magDK.

But in terms of the pulsar animation, if your memory serves you right, I'd like to see this animation.
  • alexfergussoncooper
    <Posted twice>