Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of August 5:
· PC/Mac: No maintenance – August 5
· NA megaservers for maintenance – August 7, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· EU megaservers for maintenance – August 7, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – August 7, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/663391

Outfit System: Motif Observations & Requests

Earrindo
Earrindo
✭✭✭✭✭
Since the addition of the Outfit System, I am a happier camper. I can actually wear gear that will improve my functionality, without looking like a schmuck. On that front, I am a huge fan.

Additionally, now that there is a UI for actually seeing all the motifs immediately and trying them on, I am struck by a few things that I really miss as far as options go. I wanted to list them here, in the hopes that a dev will see, and perhaps we will see something new added.

My first observation has been posted about and discussed repeatedly already, so I will simply add my voice and say that we need a Hide option for every slot, not just helm. It is super important, and I sincerely hope it gets added sooner rather than later, as we have seen they are already working on it.

Motifs:
There is a dearth of motifs that show any sort of skin. Especially on male characters, but globally as well. Someone posted a piece of art in a thread asking about druidic fashions, it was a character wearing a long coat, sleeveless, with no shirt underneath.
druid_by_simonarpalmer-d7xaru3.jpg
29469-2-1357412164.jpg
shameless self promotion, archmage robe mod I did for Skyrim
09f1ccd22ff2a5237d8871891d1a4537--celtic-fantasy-art-fantasy-male.jpg
MDG1xTZ.jpg
a57b0cb50383e3c50ea8752aef0e3a30--jo-omeara-fantasy-art.jpg

Something like this would be amazing, and would translate really well into light/medium/heavy. Light is shirtless under the coat, medium is a leather harness or straps, and heavy is a metal chest plate under the coat. Maybe armbands get added at medium/heavy.
It's not shirtless or naked, theres no weird tassets or front/back flaps, just a way to show a little skin without resorting to hanging bones and skulls off your chest and hips.
More motifs that allow male characters to show some skin would be a welcome addition, especially if they have some refinement to them.
Many of the existing sleeveless motifs alter the shape of the torso, eliminating any body shape we may have chosen during character creation. This defeats the purpose, and looks terrible. Exposed arms are great, but not at the expense of looking like your body is a big puffy pillow.
An additional comment to this would be more motifs that dont have any tassets or front/back flaps period. That, or give us the option to remove them at the outfit station.
In an ideal world, there would also just be an option to remove the sleeves on any current motif, that would be huge.

More single shoulder pauldrons would also be a nice addition, not oversized like the minotaur shoulders, but smaller, more refined, like the mercenary shoulders. Not everyone wants huge shoulder pieces, and i would imagine *nobody* wants floating shoulders of any kind. I know they float to maximize motif mix and matching, but personally, I would rather a small bit of clipping at the edges to having massive shoulder guards floating 2 inches above my characters arms.

Helm options are also pretty linear. Hoods, helmets, hats, all are very well represented in all 3 weights. What is missing and would be amazing to have is more collars and thrown back hoods.
I would love to see some furry collars and mantles, scarves and shawls, a voluminous hood thrown back, etc. This adds a lot of character to a look, and because its meant to be fluffy and thick, clipping is almost a non-issue. The folds of fabric dont need to float like the current mantles (Ancient Elf and Yokudan, I am looking at you!) they can just be folded, since as head items they dont need to fuss with lining up with hoods.

The last thing I want to mention is also something previously discussed, though I havent seen anything recently. The ability to preview locked dyes would be huge. I am certain it is possible, but it would make knowing what dyes are worth pursuing a much less frustrating prospect.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , @ZOS_Wrobel just some ideas to expand on the fashion options available to players.
TL;DR
more choices for males to show skin but still look refined and classy (no bones, feathers or skulls please!)
option to remove tassets/flaps/sleeves on current motifs
fur collars, thrown back hoods, scarfs and mantles that dont float
more single shoulder pauldrons
preview locked dyes
hide any armor slot, not just helms

Feel free to comment or add your own suggestions!
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Capes that don't stick to ur legs when you run would be cool, I know I'm dreaming but eh
    Options
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Earrindo - I wholeheartedly agree 100% :)

More options are never a bad thing and allow for even more variety. I wanted to use a khajiit robe as the base for an outfit, but the hip flaps floated so far off the body that it just looked stupid. Incredibly stupid. Why are there even hip flaps on a robe anyway? ZOS is obsessed with putting them on everything!

My males are like: 'Does my bum look big in this?' :P
    Edited by AlienSlof on February 27, 2018 11:49AM
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
    Options
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And hats please. 99% of the light head wear are hoods that look almost the same.
    Options
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dont even get me going on the khajiit light gear. Best robe in the game, period, except for the ships of broken dreams strapped onto each hip, striped and all.
    So frustrating *smh*
    Options