Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why do my chats keep cutting out on xbox?

MakeEsoGreatAgain
MakeEsoGreatAgain
Soul Shriven
I'm on xbox and every couple of minutes my chat just stops working. I have to restart game if a want hear my guild or sometimes I just have to re-enter chat wich usually doesn't work.

Best Answer

• Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's the in-game chat, it's usually due to server issues. The only thing to really do is wait until the server is under less stress, a server update happens, or it randomly fixes itself (you can use console party chat in the meantime).

If it's party chat on xbox, it's either xbox network issues (xbox will note it on network status if it is, available from network settings on your xbox or on the xbox website), or it's your personal connection. Due to the audio codecs and such they use now (you'll notice a sound quality issue if you go back to party chat on xbox 360) and the other ways they have the xbox network set up it takes a bit more time to connect a chat, so seeing "connecting" in your party chat status is normal - but taking a long time to connect, or not connecting at all - it tends to be an issue with your personal network.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
    Answer ✓
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this happen to me as well, also the xbox party chat will bug out where half of the party will just say "connecting" when they finally come back after about 20 or 30 seconds the other half goes out?
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camb0Sl1ce wrote: »
    I've had this happen to me as well, also the xbox party chat will bug out where half of the party will just say "connecting" when they finally come back after about 20 or 30 seconds the other half goes out?

This is due to things like NAT settings. When you join a party, your network has to be compatible with the other people in the party. If your NAT is open, for example, you can connect with pretty much anyone. If your NAT is closed, however, you may have issues trying to connect to another person with a closed NAT. For NAT settings, you can check the network settings dashboard on your xbox. This area should also be able to help you find other issues with your connection if you have any. The best fix is usually simply using a wired connection. If that isn't feasible, try opening ports on your network (google has a lot of info on this). Anything else can usually be solved with a little bit of troubleshooting and the xbox's own diagnostic tools.

If someone has restricted privacy settings, for children who are under parental locks on their xbox for example, they should show up in the party (connected) but you will not be able to hear each other. This can also be the result of muting or blocking someone, or being muted or blocked by someone. To fix this, one or both of the players simply need to change their settings or unmute/unblock the other person.

And sometimes it's just server-side stuff on xbox's end. If xbox live doesn't like having two connections in the same party (maybe they live far apart so there's high ping, maybe they are not stable on the network individually, maybe the server side of things is under a lot of stress from other factors) it may hold the party together only temporarily, and break the players into separate parties when the connection is too unstable. Only fix for this is make sure your own connection is good, wait for xbox's server to get better, or try again.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.