The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I Wanted a Dungeon

• josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diminish wrote: »
    One shot mechanics are artificial difficulty. Health is going to mean nothing in this game eventually if they keep this up. If you get hit, you will die. This is also killing non-stam characters since the only way to survive is to dodge roll. That can get tough with 9k stamina.

I dont really struggle with any dungeons personally, but I know and see many that do and it is because everything is turning into one *** mechanics that create and endless loop of reviving people. I don't think ZoS knows how to make difficult encounters without them.

Artificial difficulty? What are you talking about? Get out of the red and you dont get one shot...pretty easy. Interrupt the boss or it one-shots your group member, it forces you to play as a group instead of thinking you can solo-superman everything. All one-shot mechanics are easily avoided by competent players...if you are getting one-shot, you arent putting enough effort into playing by the mechanics, or your group members are not saving you when they should be, there is no "artificial difficulty" about one shot mechanics...they force people to pay attention to the mechanics is all.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    1-shots are fine, as long as they can be avoided and leave you enough time to do so (like Galchobhar, probably my favorite fight in HotR).

What are bad mechanics are those that kill even those people who do everything right, or there simply isn't enough time to react. Example situations:

1. ICP last boss: falling into another portal because somebody else didn't have enough stam to sprint to a portal, and the portal just happened to be in the center when you fell.
    2. RoM last boss: transitioning to the AoE phase at the same time with a totem spawning and the healer being put on a statue. And on HM also a Stone Shaper starting to throw his rocks for good measure.

Haven't completed the new dungeons on vet, so I can't comment on their mechanics, but if that is the kind of stuff that happens in them, they will be very frustrating.

1. ICP: Its a rarity that you fall into another pool that you cant roll-dodge out of immediatley upon landing, it does happen, but less than 1% of the time....try roll dodging upon landing...it gets you out 99% of the time.
    2. vRoM: YOU have the option to time your DPSing to make sure the totem spawns BEFORE the boss goes into his 30% phase...this fight is all about timing and has nothing to do with RNG, most people don't realize that though and refuse to stop DPSing the boss when they should. As for the healer being cursed at a bad time, that does happen, but that is why as a DPS you should always have at least one self-heal slotted here and the tank should be spamming shields during the last 30%(or off-healing if his/her build has no shield spamming ability)
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My guild mates and I were just talking about how the new DLC dungeons are mini trials. I am all for difficulty and if it is hard mode I expect things to be taken up a notch but there is a large segment of the ESO population that will never complete this new content on HM. Now, with other dungeons we have seen their difficulty neutered over time but I watched the Dev team fail to accomplish HM and they designed the content or at least have an inside track that we will never have. Kudos to any team that gets HM and even more to a no death run. I know currently I do not have a group or guild that will pull this off, at least not in the near future. I guess having something to work for is cool.

Oh well! That portion of the population has like 95 percent of the rest of the game to go do what they wanna do. If they wanna do this content then they need to L2P, or "get gud" lol.

Yes, but it’s us 95% of the player population that mainly pays the bills at ZOS, not the 5% elitists.
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a direct response to the thread, but is to all the comments about one shots being a lazily added layer of artificial difficulty. For the fights in things like the horns of the reach dlc, as a healer, there is a lot I have to be aware of/doing, and a decent but if healing, preemptive and reactive, that needs to get done. While it isn't difficult after some practice (have the skin and hat), the fact that the healer has to maintain their focus and *heal* speaks to one shots not being the only source of difficulty. A good gauge of how well designed a difficult fight is is how necessary it is that the tank and healer keep their focus for the groups sake, and in ways unique to each boss. If everything is a one shot, you might as well bring a third dps, but in practically every group's case, a healer is necessary, and in the good fights, in unique ways.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    As it is, it's not a "get out of red" warning, but a "you are dead if you were standing here" indicator. You cannot dodge roll out of the red, you cannot run out of it (I was three steps away from it before it killed me twice last night). You have to watch the statue and know it's coming to move before the red is there.

you can stand on the seams of the dragon breath spots. Once she picks up her shield following the 20% phases, she will do a flame tether ability, and immediately upon the ending of that, the dragon poison happens. All ground can stand on the seam in preparation.
    eisley the worst
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    The only thing I think they should look at after the fixes they rolled out today is the telegraph red for the cone from the statue.

Which isn't a hard mode thing, but part of either version.

As it is, it's not a "get out of red" warning, but a "you are dead if you were standing here" indicator. You cannot dodge roll out of the red, you cannot run out of it (I was three steps away from it before it killed me twice last night). You have to watch the statue and know it's coming to move before the red is there.

End of world? no, but dumb, yes.

What makes it dumb - ZoS's repeated use of one shot mechanics.

If you are going to just insta-kill people, it should give you clear indication.

If you aren't just going to hit people without warning, then the penalty shouldn't be insta-death - it could just do 90% of your health and put a healing debuff on you like the cone attack the mini boss in AS does. That way you have a chance to recover, but it will be very hard.

Let's move away from the RNG aspects of deaths that you've started to rely more and more on and actually allow us to learn and master a fight. Most of the time when people master something, it's just about mit and burn and not the mechanics. Instead of learning to create better mechanics, you just rely on those mechanics being RNG based and one shotting anyone that fails the RNG check.
    Psst... there is a job opening I think you should apply to.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."