Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New player struggling

JonathanPDX
JonathanPDX
Soul Shriven
I'm fairly new to the game but I'm really struggling and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm an experienced gamer, I've read up on the basics, visited sites with build guides, and tried to do my homework, but even after trying several classes I am still dying on quests marked "solo." I've played a Mag Templar to 20, a Stam DK to 15, and a Mag Sorc to 10, but I can't seem to find the right combination of skills or the right gear. I'm not wearing Stam gear on a Mag character or anything that obvious, though my gear isn't crafted, it's just whatever I found from quests.

I don't know if things just get easier with the skills morphed like the end-game guides suggest, or if crafted gear really makes a huge difference, or maybe I just suck. But I'm an experienced gamer and it feels weird to struggle this much at low levels. I thought the Templar would be straightforward, but using a staff and puncturing sweep my damage feels very low and tough enemies deal more damage than I can heal. So I read up on Stam DK's, equipped a couple of daggers and dual-wield skills, and died to a named demon in Cheesemonger's Hollow. I read some guides that said Mag Sorc's are straightforward but the pet seems to do little and I can't wrap my head around the proper rotation between all the various damage skills.

Can anyone give some advice on figuring out what I'm doing wrong, or perhaps show me a leveling-for-dummies guide? I really like exploring the world and doing quests on my own, I just get frustrated that I am hitting a wall and since I've tried three classes and none of them have really clicked I must be missing something. Any advice? Thanks!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd choose skills as you level primarily that provide two things:
    1. Help your survivability. This can be shielding, healing, damage reduction, even snaring the enemy or reducing their movement speed.
    2. Are as low in cost as possible.

When you're new new, gear is not as consequential as some would have you believe. Yes, a crafted 5 piece would help, but it's not going to be outstanding, either at level 20. My advice to most is to literally put on what you pick up.

If you're doing content and you pick up a piece that is arguably better than the one you are currently wearing, put it on, on the spot. Every little boost in armor class, main stat, spell/weapon damage will help. Don't forget to factor in enchants too. (A level 10 item that does 900 damage vs a level 8 with 700 and a 500 damage enchant are not the same...)

This even applies to gear weight. Until you unlock the passives for Light/Medium/Heavy armor, the bonuses won't apply, and they won't have tremendous effect at low level anyway. With that in mind, Heavy, Medium, and Light will give you more survivability, in that order, simply by having more armor.

Keep your dropped potions - use these when you're low. They'll help.

Eat something...Go to a chef in town (usually near cooking fires or inns) and buy some cheap food to increase your health. You can also ask someone to craft you some blue food. The stat increase won't be huge, but it will also help. Alternately you can use what you loot - there is food laying around everywhere.

Take things a bite at a time - don't try to pull 20 mobs at once. You're scaled, you're not invincible. Kite things (run away if necessary), chip away at them, and go back for more. Don't be afraid to simple stop for a second and let your resources refill.

EDIT: Don't discount things like dodge and block, either. Heavy attack to get resources back when you're low.

Last, but not least, remember that some of the solo content was intended to push you. Rez and try again. If there is a specific solo instance that is giving you trouble, post here and we'll see what we can do to help.

EDIT: "Puppy" was intended to hand you your ass. We remember it well. Use the two platforms on either side to put some space between you. When he gets close, step off the side, he'll be forced to go the long way around. Switch to the other side, repeat.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on February 2, 2018 11:54AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your weapon or magic damage scales off your total stamina or magicka, so you should either put ALL points into stamina, or ALL points into magicka, and nothing into health (unless you want to be a tank).

It helps a LOT if you can find a few pieces of a matching armor set, so you can get the bonuses from that set. That makes a huge difference. Later in the game, you'll be able to craft your own armor sets, so it won't be an issue.

But yeah, starting out is tough.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have recently gotten a very very new perspective on this issue. My main account now has ~950 CP. A new character there just blasts through everything.

I have another account that was used as storage only. Zero CP. Since I didn't want to delete one of my chars but just had to get back into non-vet pvp, I decided to use the other account.

By god, what a drudge. Even soloing a dolmen is like beating your head against a wall. I have to use everything I know to do it. I suddenly feel much more with new players who lack the experience I have. The game must be horrible for them if they want to do stuff alone.

What advise I can give you:

- gear DOES matter. Irrespective of what others say, having good gear and sets is make or break. You said you did research build sites. Overland sets come scaled to your level. Pick one, look where it is found, and go chest farming until you have 3 pieces of jewellery and 2 other slots. Do this every 4 to 6 levels.

- craft gear or ask for someone to craft it for you. Get a 5 piece set done for your other slots. Do this every 2 to 4 levels.

- always choose one set that has a lot of regen and one set that has damage boosting setbonuses.

- go magicka. Until mid 30s, your skill choice for stamina is very limited and self healing skills are hard to get for stamina chars. Self healing is the single most important thing you need.

- using skills that damage opponents and heal you at the same time make a world of a difference. Read up on skills and choose them appropriately.

- until level 15 and weapon swapping, using resto staff for a bit.of healing and class skills for damage is the best way to go.

- use food. Even the white stuff looted is better than nothing.

- remember the mundus. In your second zone, you find the mage mundus (magicka) and the tower mundus (stamina). Use the appropriate one for your build.

- block and dodge. If you see whitish or red sparks flying of an enemy, press right mouse button. That's the ones that really hurt.

And then just go on. It gets better.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've been getting lots of good hints already. My two cents are mostly that I agree with self-heal and -protection being the most important thing when struggling with survival. Magicka Nightblade is a good class to play there, since your primary AoE and Direct Damage class skills heal you in the process, and you have the light armor shield with helps a LOT.

Next best choice is Stamina Warden which has a strong stamina-based self-heal and is overall versatile.

Leandor is right though, up to a certain level you don't need to really make that stamina/magicka distinction. All class skills start out as magicka, and some of them get stamina morphs later on. So while leveling up, if not a Warden and Vigor from Alliance War is not available, using magicka skills (additionally) is recommended.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    - gear DOES matter. Irrespective of what others say, having good gear and sets is make or break. You said you did research build sites. Overland sets come scaled to your level. Pick one, look where it is found, and go chest farming until you have 3 pieces of jewellery and 2 other slots. Do this every 4 to 6 levels.

- craft gear or ask for someone to craft it for you. Get a 5 piece set done for your other slots. Do this every 2 to 4 levels.

- always choose one set that has a lot of regen and one set that has damage boosting setbonuses.
    No one here said gear doesn't matter.

This is why I recommend upgrading as you go with the dropped items. Of course gear matters, but it's no as necessary to have two full crafted sets from the word "go' as some would have you believe.

Would it help? Certainly. Is it impossible to do without while only using dropped/found gear? Of course it isn't.

If you're questing the amount a typical starting player would, you'll find plenty of gear simply by doing what you're doing anyway. You don't have to go specifically farming gear at low level unless you just absolutely want to.

Again, while the bonus stats help (regen, dmg, health, stat), the amount they add will be minimal at low level, no CP.

(I can confirm all of this, as I have a secondary account that's non-CP. I arrived at a dolmen with nothing more than the initial "gift box" and whatever gear I had found in Wailing. It's doable.)

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by Leandor on February 2, 2018 1:29PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Leandor, perhaps go back and reread the first reply.

Saying you need a full crafted 5 piece from the start is simply wrong. I'm trying to make life easier on the OP, not have them traipsing across the map trying to specifically locate gear.

The game will provide what is needed via quest rewards and normal play, regardless of whether or not that hurts your feelings.

Earn it.

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edit: i'll just stop here.
    Edited by Leandor on February 2, 2018 1:28PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest joining a guild. A decent guild can be very helpful with understanding aspects of the game and can be a source of assistance when needed.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did. It's why I offered advice on the specific fight in Cheesemonger's. The remaining advice regards suggestions on morphs/skill/passive choices when skillpoints become available. it the same advice I've given to lots of new people and it's still sound.

I've also offered up to go into more detail about any fight/class in question, should the OP need it. Without a bit more info from the OP, it's hard to give more than general advice.

That's a far cry from your implication that I'm just blowing it off. For the record, I added the last part on my reply to you because I expected someone to come on here with "You're CP XXX, how can you know?" not as a "git gud" post, as you put it.

But I'm not here for you. I'm here to help the OP.

That being said, I reiterate, OP, I'm happy to offer more detail if needed. The more detail you provide, the better we'll be able to help.

Idk's suggestion of guild assistance is priceless. You can get specific detail about class, role, and fights in real time.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on February 2, 2018 2:02PM

Earn it.

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Join a good guild; not only people who can help with builds and advice, but [probably] crafters who are happy to help out with gear. And that is not just the armor and weapons.

You didn't mention it, but using food, alchemy potions, and enchanting your armor and weapons can help quite a bit.

I'm on pc/na; if guildies ask me, I'll make gear for them, free under cp160, every 10 levels, improved to green. Cp160 the crafting is free, but they have to give me the mats. I'll make blue food appropriate for their character, and make purple glyphs for armor and weapons. Additional max health, stamina, or magicka glyphs can be useful. Additional damage or health/magicka/stamina stealing glyphs for weapons aren't a bad idea either. Alchemy potions that add weapon damage and restore stamina/health/magicka, too. [crafters might ask you help out with some of the flowers for those, depending]
    Edited by JKorr on February 2, 2018 2:42PM
  • JonathanPDX
    JonathanPDX
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I do appreciate it! It's heartening to see a community that is welcoming and helpful to newbies. :)

I'm still trying to figure out which class I can play properly, or at least die less with! I just want to be durable and sustainable so I'm not in constant fear of death or struggling to get through solo quests.

Stam DK: I'm stumped on which skills should be on my bar. I started with two-handed weapons with the idea of eventually having Momentum and Green Dragon Blood to hopefully stay alive well, but I read that dual-wield is generally considered stronger so I switched to two daggers. I just can't figure out what my rotation should be, especially since I only have 10-15 in most class skills and even less in dual-wield.

Mag Sorc: So many skills! I can't figure out if I should be using Destruction Staff or Storm damage spells, and at lowly level 11 it feels like I have too many damage options and not much to keep me alive. My pet seems mostly useless and I'm not sure if there's a trick to making it a more effective tank.

Mag Templar: I read lots of posts about the benefits of dealing damage and healing at the same time, so I equipped a destruction staff and Puncturing Sweeps but it feels like my damage is really low. I'm not sure if I should be opening with Dark Flare or just spamming Sweep until I run out of resources. I'm on the quest "The Dangerous Past" and I've died several times to the darn spheres.

A more general question: Do you split your crafting among several characters or try to level it up all on one? Should I be working at it as a newbie, or look for others to craft gear and put all my focus on leveling and worry about crafting later? I know in some systems the time / resource ratio is off enough that the time it takes to find materials and craft is better spent killing stuff and getting gear from quests or other players.

Thanks!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Templar is a good choice. You have a strong heal (the strongest heal in the game actually - Breath of Life), and Sweeps do damage and heal at the same time. As soon as you unlock those skills, add in Wall of Elements and Spear Shards, those are area of effect damage over time skills. Put these on the ground where your enemies are standing, and while their damage ticks are going, use the direct damage Sweeps skill. Reflective Light is a good skill in that regard too. It applies direct damage AND a DOT on up to three targets, and gives you Major Prophecy (a buff to your spell crit). Most overland/quest mob groups are three mobs max, so RL is perfect for that. :)

Don't worry about "really low damage". At level 11, that's to be expected. :) Fights take some longer then, no big deal. You can heal and shield yourself, and still do damage.

To regain resources, do heavy attacks with your destruction staff. If you get a lightning staff and unlock the first passive skill in the Destruction Staff line, it will even do decent AoE damage, for no cost! This is a big advantage of magicka chars for new players: doing AoE damage while restoring resources at the same time.

Don't worry about "too many skills, can't choose what to use". Experiment with all of them! Apply learning by doing.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat Tips:

Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First leveling character? Forget about Builds right now. No need, your handicapped anyway by the game so you are way more powerful than you need to be. Instead take advantage of this buff to properly level your character so you can be deadly when it matters later on when you are not buffed by the level scaling. In other words, you can create a rotation that makes you think your all that and a biscuit because of the scaling buffs, then get a rude awakening come Champ Ranks when you are on your own.

In other words, right now if your wearing any gear, the mobs will die.

1. Have one class skill on your bar at all times, swapping them out once the skill reaches Morph stage. Worry about your Morphs later.
    2. Have one weapon skill on your bar at all times, again until Morph stage
    3. Wear a mix of all 3 armor types so they all level about equally
    4. From L1 to L20, invest in attack skills and actives
    5. From L20 to L35 start investing in Passives and Support Skills
    6. From L35 to L50 start investing in Morphs (but only if all your class skills are at the Morph Stage), Passives and Crafting Skills
    7 From CP10 to CP160 try out dropped sets to see which ones fit your playstyle, don't worry about traits right now, fill in passives and actives you may have missed
    8. Grind on Dolmens to level your Fighters Guild, or find the Lore Books to level Mages Guild
    9. Do some stealing to level Legerdemain, best source for money in the game
    10. Decon every piece of gear you get that you are not going to use immediately to level equipment crafting, no need to invest skills points until Champ Ranks.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting Leveling while building your first character:

Here is the thing about Crafting, you don't need it until End Game (post CP160) but you can level it in preparation with few to no skill points invested. Crafting can eat up 122 Skill Points to fully invest, so this will gimp your combat while leveling. Best to invest as few points as possible while levleing your character and crafting.

Equipment Crafting

Decon all mob loot other than what you are using to research traits. Research traits, learn two on all items you would use, then learn 3, etc. Focus on Divines, Infused and Training for your first three for Armor, Sharpened, Precise and Training for your Weapons. Then go for the other ones. Nirn is expensive, and a lot of people suggest putting a priority on that, I can't see why. The Trait is all but useless for Armor or Weapons. Best place to find Mob Loot is Public Dungeons, then over land grind spots. Grind on mobs until your bags are full, then go on a decon fest. Remembering to save the ones you need or want to research. Use the Lock Function and or an Inventory Mule to hang on to those. Only invest Skill points while leveling it into the Research and Extraction Passive, the last really only needing one point.

Enchanting

Ignore all the "advice" on the web about using an enchanting partner. First, use Mob Loot decon to raise this up to a point. Later on as you approach end game have some some gold, then start making Green, Blue or Purple Glyphs on one character and decon them on an Alt. You will level Enchanting faster than trading the glyphs with another player, which is tedious by the way. (like pull out your hair and make a doily tedious). Use Green up to about L15 in the Enchanting Skill, Blue up to about L30/35 and Purple up to about L46/47. Then learn the runes you don't know, you should be at or near 50, if not, make/decon some more Purples.

Provisioning and Alchemy

Don't worry about these, you can level these professions in about an 20 minutes, for both. Just collect the Various Solvents and Reagents and Provisioning Ingredients/Recipes as you go along. Once end game, then you can level it. Use Mushrooms to level Alchemy, or Flowers that make potions you won't use. Make sure you grab solvents (waters) as your leveling as they can be rare to find in the guild stores. For Provisioning, make the highest level Green Recipes you can make. Blue or Purples do not give any more inspiration than Greens, so save those for character use.

Yes, use Drop Sets for now, and Yes, level your crafting skills and do the Trait Research. Traits are why you craft as they allow you to make Special Crafted Sets. There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces of. Period. Well, Twice Born Star is great to, but your a year out from making that. But you need to start learning your traits now.

Leveling Equipment Crafting is easy, just decon the mob loot you are not either selling to cover repairs or using to research traits. No skill points needed while leveling it, other than maybe a point or two into the Extraction Passives.

Back to the Crafted Sets, it takes 6 traits known to be able to make Hundings or Julianos, 9 Traits for Twice Born Star. You don't need to know these traits on everything, but you do need to know them on the items you will use. So, start learning those traits. Focus on the gear you will use first, then fill in the rest later. This means:

Casters
    Heavy Chest/Legs
    Light Feet/Hands/Waist
    Shoulders and Heads are good to, but there are 2 Piece Monster sets that can take up those slots. So learn the traits on these pieces, but prioritize the ones above.
    Staves (all 4 of them)

Stamina
    All Medium Armors
    Daggers, Swords, Bow and Shield

Learn Training, Divines and Infused on the Armors first, Infused, Sharpened, Precise and Training on the Weapons. Powered is good for the Healing Staff, Defending is good for Sword or other one handed Melee. Then fill in the rest until you have 6 or eventually 9 traits. Some people recommend Nirn as an early trait to learn. Unless they change it, don't listen to them. You might use it on a Shield or a Weapon but that is about it. You need it someday, but it's expensive and you need your gold for other things.

Invest the skill points into the Research Passives. I can't stress enough how much of a time sink Trait Research is. Be able to learn more than one at a time, and reduce the time needed. Get an addon for Trait Research Tracking, I recommend Craft Store. If your on the Consoles, find one of the spreadsheets out there or make one to track this. Have I mentioned you need to learn your traits?

Doing this you will be ready to invest skill points into Crafting when it matters and not have to spend months getting ready. Did I mention Trait Research and how much a time sink it is? The last two traits will take you a month each to learn, on each item you learn them on. Get started now, yesterday would have been better.

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly new to the game but I'm really struggling and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm an experienced gamer, I've read up on the basics, visited sites with build guides, and tried to do my homework, but even after trying several classes I am still dying on quests marked "solo." I've played a Mag Templar to 20, a Stam DK to 15, and a Mag Sorc to 10, but I can't seem to find the right combination of skills or the right gear. I'm not wearing Stam gear on a Mag character or anything that obvious, though my gear isn't crafted, it's just whatever I found from quests.

I don't know if things just get easier with the skills morphed like the end-game guides suggest, or if crafted gear really makes a huge difference, or maybe I just suck. But I'm an experienced gamer and it feels weird to struggle this much at low levels. I thought the Templar would be straightforward, but using a staff and puncturing sweep my damage feels very low and tough enemies deal more damage than I can heal. So I read up on Stam DK's, equipped a couple of daggers and dual-wield skills, and died to a named demon in Cheesemonger's Hollow. I read some guides that said Mag Sorc's are straightforward but the pet seems to do little and I can't wrap my head around the proper rotation between all the various damage skills.

Can anyone give some advice on figuring out what I'm doing wrong, or perhaps show me a leveling-for-dummies guide? I really like exploring the world and doing quests on my own, I just get frustrated that I am hitting a wall and since I've tried three classes and none of them have really clicked I must be missing something. Any advice? Thanks!

I was recently a new player like you. Here is what helped me:

1) Gear matters despite what you may read on these forums. It matters most when your new. Its important to keep all your gear as close to you level as possible.

2) Only try to pull one mob at a time. It will be extremely difficult to take multiple mobs at low levels.

3) Its ok to attack other mobs when other people are fighting them. In other games, it would be stealing, and considered rude. Here, for a new player, in many cases it can be necessary, especially with elite or boss type mobs that you must kill. So if you need to kill a boss, wait for another player to show up or ask for help, if you struggle. You need to get 3% of the damage to get credit i believe and even with high level players that isnt hard to do most of the time.

4) Leveling up i focused on what i needed. If i was dying a lot id add points into Health. If was running out of resources to run abilities, id put points in that. You can respec everything later if you need to. So i didnt get to picky about trying not to make mistakes. Just picked which would be most helpful to me at the time.

5) I recommend you run a green health food buff at bare minimum at all times. I have blue buffs ( health and either stam or magicka) for every level. But you might not want to worry about blue until you hit mid 30s early 40s depending on how fast you level.

6) You will want an ability that allows you to self heal. It makes surviving while solo much much easier.

7) Find an active newbie friendly social/pve guild. You can probably get someone to make you decent food for free or a pretty low cost. You can also get advice help as well as physical if you are struggling.

8) Dolmens are a decent place to get decent gear, mostly jewelry. I like the one outside of Vulkhels Guard in Auridon personally.

9) Dungeons ran through the dungeon finder are a good place to level and to get good gear. Dungeons groups probably give you the most gear for the least effort.

10) Battleground are a good place to get purple gear,if your team wins. Otherwise its blue or green. Sometimes you get "feel sorry for you" rewards too.

A more general question: Do you split your crafting among several characters or try to level it up all on one? Should I be working at it as a newbie, or look for others to craft gear and put all my focus on leveling and worry about crafting later? I know in some systems the time / resource ratio is off enough that the time it takes to find materials and craft is better spent killing stuff and getting gear from quests or other players.

My first character is always my crafter/gather/money maker. I found it makes the rest of my characters much easier to level and equip. There are plenty of points to do all the crafting skill and have a decent end game character. Might be a bit weak on trials( raids) but all other content you should be find doing.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on February 4, 2018 2:20PM
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my own experience, since I learned some clues about mobs heavy attack and some special heavy hit skills, and learned how to block, bash and dodge roll, it just get a lots easier. For example almost all mob use 2 hand weapon will have the same "charge up" heavy attack animation. Almost all Harvester do that frontal push back and summon the healing orbs. Almost all dual wield mob have the "sharpen the knifes" animations before they whirling/cloak and stun... Once you get used to the animation, you will know how to block/bash/dodge at the right time. This game is not like other MMO when you just stand toe to toe with the mobs and press button. You need to block heavy attack, bash the cast skills, dodge the red circle...
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on February 4, 2018 4:52PM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suck at this game. So my advice should be ignored, BUT I will give it anyway. :pensive:

Someone said put all points into stamina or magicka and not health. DON'T DO THAT. Since it seems you are playing solo like me, just do what you want and have fun. I did the put everything in one slot and found I haven't been having fun since I am playing how others are saying "how the game should be played".

In the beginning, I put points in health. It made the game a bit easier for me so I don't die so fast and often. Once I put points in health and stamina and magika, I was having so much fun with ESO because I am not trying to "game" it but have fun playing it.

Your fun may not be to just have fun but have the most powerful character. For me that wasn't fun. After all we can respect so if you put your points in one, both or all three stats, they can be respect. So just learn the game, have fun and don't worry about "how it should be done". I gave up on ESO multiple times because of it.

Yes I am playing inefficiently but at least I am enjoying the game now. :) I found putting 5 or was it 10 points to health helped me out so much to learn the game now that I make a new character, I don't have to do that anymore.
    Edited by Davor on February 5, 2018 1:53AM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with putting points in two or all three attributes, it all depends on your intentions and purposes. :)

It's true that for an endgame "minmax" build, you go for a specific role and try to do that as good as possible, so you e.g. want to maximize your damage output as a DD. So you put everything into stamina, leaving health at the bare minimum to not get one-shot by each and every mob/boss attack. You rely on your tank to keep the boss off your butt, and your healer to restore your health when you get damaged.

For solo play, especially at low levels, for which this game offers a huge amount of material, you need to survive on your own, so it's very much okay to both increase your health beyond the "endgame DD" level, and also make a "hybrid" build by using both magicka and stamina. You won't do maximum damage with either resource then, but you don't have to. Surviving and having fun is more important.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Putting a few points into health isn't a bad idea, however using food and glyphs to add health might be better. At lower levels the numbers don't seem to be that great, however as you level, they really do improve.

A level 5 food to boost your health will give you 1156 health for 35 minutes. I think at level 10 you can start using blue recipes; boosts health and stamina, or health and magicka, or stamina and magicka. When you get to cp160+ you can get numbers like Increase Health by 5395 and Stamina by 4396 for an hour.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For harder solo content, just make your build the best at its role. Your tank must be tanky, your healer must heal lots, and your DPS must have high DPS.

If you've been doing as much research as you have, it sounds like either that isn't really the issue for you and it's just a little healing you need (so get something, anything, if just one thing, to self heal. Do that, see if it works, if not, do more of that) or the research isn't helping you, in which case work out your own build instead of using others' (it's as simple as finding out what stats you want, find out how to get those stats with equipment and buffs, then find other abilities to fill out your bar).

Also general things might help - use food, potions, make sure you're wearing appropriately leveled gear (having gear from 10 levels ago won't do you any favors), etcetera etcetera. And hey, finding a group to run with is good too, if that's an option for you.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 2:44AM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah @JKorr is right, it doesn't really matter how you get to the resource figures you want, be it through attributes, armor enchantments, buff food etc., as long as you reach the number you're comfortable with. :)

While leveling up, attribute points is probably the easiest and quickest way. Glyphs are a little harder to come by. Talking strictly solo here, of course you can always ask a friend/guildie/in zonechat for a nice person to craft you stuff. This is an MMO after all. :) There's lots of players that will even do it for free when they can help a newbie. Like, it'll cost a high-level player nearly zero resources to craft something for a low-level player, so the "be nice and social and make friends" aspect clearly wins out here.

Note that it costs gold when you later on want to reset and reallocate the attribute points.
    Edited by Loc2262 on February 6, 2018 9:54AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing ESO last May 2016. Not new to MMO's though as I played wow for over 10 years.

Yes, ESO was quite different to me and I also struggled and died a lot.

Then I discovered "bread" which boosted my health and helped me survive !
    I say bread because it's free and I didn't have provisioning leveled/recipes/mats to keep stuff stocked in my bags.
    I also started hitting the dolmens (VG because it's always crowded) when I leveled for new jewelry and some gear.

As I played and got gear I banked what I could not use for my other characters.
    Learned professions and was able to craft some 2 trait gear early on (Ashen Grip 2 piece for + health).

I was also kinda lost for skills and rotations but just played around with them on my bars until I found a set that worked (AKA..I lived). Tried out new skills as I learned them and read up on morphs before I did them.

I also read the guides over and over. Keep in mind most of the guides are BIS end game stuff so adjust as necessary.
    All my toons have points in health.

To me, getting to level 50 was all about surviving fights.

I'm now into CP 160+ and started on the next great adventure...sets/dps/rotations/etc/CP points.

Edited by Juju_beans on February 6, 2018 5:33PM
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    can be a real pain i have just come back and would say this join a social guild or 2 and 3 trade guilds first can have 5 guilds you can be in.
    i am in 2 social guilds and 3 trade guilds , would also suggest ask others to team up and do some things together , if you want a far easier life then every 10 levels get a very good crafter to make you complete sets of armour weapons .

there are a few main sites that have good builds advice since i joined a guild that is a part of dottz gamiing i havent looked back .

if you need help questing jst ask me i come and help does get a bit boring playing solo most of the time
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I found questing especially in Craglorn with a buddy, while chatting away in Teamspeak, to be real fun!
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP