The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Reverting the Changes to Hidden Skills for New Players

Azarai
Azarai
✭✭
A few patches ago, some changes were made to the skills system to hide certain trees until requirements were made for new players, (Requiring killing a mob to unlock the tree, equipping five pieces of a set, etc.) in order to help newer players avoid confusion from skills overload. However, with the newer level advisor, I think it is having the opposite effect, of hiding necessary skill lines from new players. I noticed this when making a new Templar (Gleaming Champion), and I ran into a bottleneck immediately, suggesting it has me take Wall of Elements. Which is an issue, as you do not get a Destro staff up to that point. But overall, it seems like the stated reason for the change is no longer valid, and could use reverting. Rather than throw a long list of skill lines at the player, the skills adviser helps to funnel them to a path. But locking the lines behind the requirements seems to do the opposite now, as it dead ends them until they find the weapon/armor set needed to unlock the paths.

Aside from unlocking all the skill lines again, then perhaps a selection of weapons or armor sets in the beginning could also be useful in helping new players get used to the roles and class. Giving the players an option to select a weapon set/armor set would be nice, as they can start leveling those things immediately. This does not seem to be breaking in any way, and would help new players begin learning and playing immediately, rather than running around looking for the right weapon or armor.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. Is a little tedious to have to go scrounge up extra armour and kill something before I can get extra exp.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole hide the skill until you do something with the skill you don't know about thing needs to go away.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this hiding of skill lines was less than helpful when it was introduced. The advent of Skills Adviser, which directs complete noobs away from using weapon skills, only serves to make things much worse.

It wouldn't be so bad if new players had a full range of weapons to choose from right at the start in the tutorial zones. At least then they could start using their weapon of choice right away, unlock the matching weapon skill immediately, and not risk wasting some those precious early experience points in the 2H weapon skill which they might never want to use.

PC EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiding the weapon/armor lines was a big problem when I used the new Level Up Advisor on the PTS. I did a stam sorc "Arcane Warrior" type build. It started directing me towards dual wield immediately - when I was still in the tutorial and only had a greatsword. Then, it started pointing me to medium armor and although I had one or two pieces of medium armor to get exp in the skill line, it took me until level 9 to get 3 pieces of medium armor from questing/killing.

In both cases, I spent several levels unable to access skills I had the exp to qualify for that were stuck behind skill lines I didn't have the kill to unlock the weapon line (I had the weapons to equip but hadn't killed something yet) or the 3 pieces to unlock the armor line.

That was frustrating.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'wanna know what we did when we saw a skill line we wouldn't use back in the old days?

We just wouldn't click on the skill line that says a weapon we dont have equipped.

It was a change that made no sense, even in context.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiding the weapon/armor lines was a big problem when I used the new Level Up Advisor on the PTS. I did a stam sorc "Arcane Warrior" type build. It started directing me towards dual wield immediately - when I was still in the tutorial and only had a greatsword. Then, it started pointing me to medium armor and although I had one or two pieces of medium armor to get exp in the skill line, it took me until level 9 to get 3 pieces of medium armor from questing/killing.

In both cases, I spent several levels unable to access skills I had the exp to qualify for that were stuck behind skill lines I didn't have the kill to unlock the weapon line (I had the weapons to equip but hadn't killed something yet) or the 3 pieces to unlock the armor line.

That was frustrating.

I would mention this in main thread @ZOS_GinaBruno posted.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

That was frustrating.

I would mention this in main thread @ZOS_GinaBruno posted.

I did, back when I tried it out early in the PTS cycle.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Y'wanna know what we did when we saw a skill line we wouldn't use back in the old days?

We just wouldn't click on the skill line that says a weapon we dont have equipped.

It was also a change that literally no one had ever asked for.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stovahkiin wrote: »

It was also a change that literally no one had ever asked for.

And the only result is confusion for new users and old alike.

'You mean I can use that weapon?'
    'Why can't I see my alt's medium passives?'

Vvardenfell zonechat is a good place to spot this feature actively confusing people.
    Edited by Erraln on February 4, 2018 3:56PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zone chat in starter zones is a great place for ZoS to look if they want to see the negative effects of hiding skill lines. So many players need help to unlock certain skills and it's frustrating for them.

But more importantly, how come when I go to make my 10th characters soon why will I still have skill lines hidden on him? After like your first character shouldn't this never happen again? What sense does it make to hide my skill lines on my new character? It's strictly a hassle and a time-waster. It's like they don't even think things through sometimes :neutral:
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think between hiding the skill lines, the removal of gear choice in the tutorial and the asinine advice from the Skill Advisor, ZOS just made it harder for new players, rather than easier.

Return the item choice tables from the earlier renditions of the tutorial wth weapons and armor choices, revert the hidden skill lines change and give ACTUAL advise in the Skill Advisor so that people aren't completely ignorant to the workings of ESO.
    Argonian forever
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 2:14AM