The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Poll] De-Couple Racial Passives From Race

KanedaSyndrome
KanedaSyndrome
✭✭✭✭
This poll is based on the suggestion Here.
In general the idea is that we can enjoy the different racial passives independently of the race that we enjoy playing. Meaning, that you can still have an optimal magicka character, even if it's a Khajiit, or a strong High-Elven tank with boosts to HP and Stamina, even if it's an elf.
Edited by KanedaSyndrome on January 30, 2018 9:35PM
KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
The Best Plans Require No Action

[Poll] De-Couple Racial Passives From Race 92 votes

Good Idea.
39%
MarginisKanedaSyndromedanno8Anath_QUlowsmith97ub17_ESOHymzirRagnaroek93SorisNobleX35 PhelaenLiofaRyuuhimeantimawkishAverageJo3Gam3rsplitsandShinshadowNebblesVogtardIlCanis_LupuslI 36 votes
Bad Idea.
52%
NestorImryllwayfarerxJoy_DivisionGlassHalfFullRrokanrollelolo_01b16_ESOSkayaqidkJames-WaynesdtlcElsonsoAztlanCave_CanemaeowulfLylithFermianTaleof2CitiesMcIDHale 48 votes
Indifferent.
7%
DeadlyReclusegrefDraxysCaptainVenompod88kkessi2Insanepirate01 7 votes
Other. Explained In Post.
1%
VaranisArano 1 vote
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    I like the non-combat rank 1 racial passives (e.g., Khajiit pickpocketing, Imperial gold gain, Argonian swim speed) ... and in fact think there should be more of those.

However, the combat passives should be moved into a sort of "profession" or "specialization" system. The current racial passive system is silly and limiting, and also leads to a "P2W" discussion as min-maxers have to pay to race change characters every patch or two or roll new characters.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea.
    Min-Maxers don't care about what race they play, they play the one that they they think will give them the best numbers.

What would you do if ZOS changed the "no longer racial passives" in an update? Will you demand that you can change the "bonus stat package" that you chose at chargen? I am putting those in quotes because if you remove or nueter the racial passives and replace it with a pick whatever you want system, then they are not racial passives anymore.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    I like the non-combat rank 1 racial passives (e.g., Khajiit pickpocketing, Imperial gold gain, Argonian swim speed) ... and in fact think there should be more of those.

However, the combat passives should be moved into a sort of "profession" or "specialization" system. The current racial passive system is silly and limiting, and also leads to a "P2W" discussion as min-maxers have to pay to race change characters every patch or two or roll new characters.

Yeh, would like to see these racials converted into something that you describe, something that let us play the characters we want, from a roleplaying/preference point of view, but still feel that we're not hurting our performance in combat etc.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Nestor wrote: »
    Min-Maxers don't care about what race they play, they play the one that they they think will give them the best numbers.

What would you do if ZOS changed the "no longer racial passives" in an update? Will you demand that you can change the "bonus stat package" that you chose at chargen? I am putting those in quotes because if you remove or nueter the racial passives and replace it with a pick whatever you want system, then they are not racial passives anymore.

We'd call them something else, perhaps make any remaining racial passives into pure QoL/cosmetic/fun, instead of something that has direct impact on performance in combat.
  • weg0
    weg0
    ✭✭✭
    Bad Idea.
    OP, I understand where you are coming from, but... IMHO that is not the proper solution. However, I agree that some of the racial passives are ill-conceived/misplaced and changes are needed.

I do feel that the weapon you level fastest should be selectable, as it has been that way in past games. The racial passives, though, are meant to portray the very real difference some of these races have from one another lore-wise and need to be left intact.

• weg0
    weg0
    ✭✭✭
    Bad Idea.
    And to the P2W comment from @LiquidPony, I agree that we should get race change tokens every so often just because of balance and gameplay changes. If ZOS is gonna make big changes to foundational elements, they shouldn’t make us literally pay for the adjustments we need to make.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial Bonuses are a feature of Elder Scrolls game. Some of them have major gameplay impacts, like Dunmer fire resistance in Morrowind or Nord frost resistance in Syrim. Some have changed from game to game - Altmer are no longer weak to the elements, but usually start with a large bonus to magicka.

In ESO, the racial bonuses don't make a huge difference outside of top-tier DPS tests or making your life somewhat easier in PVP. Short of trying to eke out those last little percentages, racial bonuses won't prevent you from completing ALL of the game content with any class, provided you have the player skill to pull it off.

• Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Me personally? I'm just tired of people telling me khajiit can't be tanks. I'm sticking with khajiit because I like my character, RP aside. Is it so wrong to want to be able to min/max a tank too?

On a side note I'm against anything that reinforces stereotypes. Why can't altmer be strong stamina warriors? TESV solved the problem by making all the bonuses only matter in early game, like ESO does with letting certain skills level faster. But the other racial skills?

tl;dr I'm all for decoupling appearance from gameplay.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Racial Bonuses are a feature of Elder Scrolls game. Some of them have major gameplay impacts, like Dunmer fire resistance in Morrowind or Nord frost resistance in Syrim. Some have changed from game to game - Altmer are no longer weak to the elements, but usually start with a large bonus to magicka.

In ESO, the racial bonuses don't make a huge difference outside of top-tier DPS tests or making your life somewhat easier in PVP. Short of trying to eke out those last little percentages, racial bonuses won't prevent you from completing ALL of the game content with any class, provided you have the player skill to pull it off.

Hm, tbh, I think the racial passives are quite impactful, I mean, we get 10-12% boosts to stamina/magicka/HP, we get large recovery boosts etc.

To me these passives are more than just flavor, they very much impact my choice if I'm going for an optimal build, and I love making builds, but I love RP/character themes just as much.
    For instance, right now I'm playing a magicka ice warden with Nord as the race. Hardly a race made for magicka damage, but I'd love for him to be able to be that.

I guess I'm trying to say that not all in the same race are built for the same destiny, and they might have different strengths and aptitudes.

Play Like We Want?
    Edited by KanedaSyndrome on January 31, 2018 12:16AM
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good Idea.
    I do minmax and I hate every second of playing an Imperial . I want those passives but I rather play a Dark Elf . I suggested something similar a while ago but got ignored . I don't think this will happen at all because it breaks lore stuff .
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Why not have racials be seperate from race, let Dark elves have imperial passives or khajiit have redguard and etc. You just cannot mix amd match, ie having argonian potion passive with altmer regen and breton cost reduction
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Indifferent.
    Don't really care but it'd be nice to be able to swap a character between magicka/stamina and not be gimped for one of them.

rip decibel
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play Like We Want?

If you are going to talk about "Play Like We Want," its worth reveiwing exactly want that means.

ESO Advertisement under the spoiler for size:
    GFiNtHg.jpg

"play the way you like" means you can "Battle, craft, fish, steal, siege or explore."

My Breton Stam Sorc hasn't had any problems battling, crafting, fishing, stealing, sieging or exploring despite having a very unoptimal race for a stamina sorc.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea.
    Most players would choose the meta of whatever the best racial passives are ... which means more homogenization of characters than ever before.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A reminder about the perils of mocking certain players for their race/class combo.

Comic by Isriana: https://isriana.deviantart.com/
    Comic Link: https://isriana.deviantart.com/art/TESO-Respect-Your-Healers-696152788

Comic under spoiler for size
    51237618b2691d902861e6474a451d5c-dbigyxg.jpg
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 31, 2018 3:12AM
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Most players would choose the meta of whatever the best racial passives are ... which means more homogenization of characters than ever before.

as if it isnt happening already... why not allow diversity of ascethics?
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent.
    Racial affinities are essential to the way races work in TES, and shouldn't be removed entirely.

I do however think ZOS went overboard with it, the current racial passives should be reduced, maybe halved, and merged into either 1 permanent racial trait or a 3 step racial trait that contains some but not all of the currently spread out racials.
    And the removed bonuses moved to character customization.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Nestor wrote: »

Culture passives then.

Like some RPish way to show where your character has been/learned from in the past.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    JobooAGS wrote: »
    Why not have racials be seperate from race, let Dark elves have imperial passives or khajiit have redguard and etc. You just cannot mix amd match, ie having argonian potion passive with altmer regen and breton cost reduction

Yeh, definitely the best way to implement this. This way it literally breaks nothing, as the only thing that would change is your background/looks/how NPCs address you etc.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.

But is that so bad? Why should people be at a disadvantage because they prefer one race over another from a lore perspective? If there're racials that are OP, then it needs balancing, not forcing people to play races they don't like or identify with.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea.
    Zos had a similar idea but decided to scrap it.

The original proposed solution to race change was to only change passives and not the character appearance.

In the end Zos chose to keep passives tied to the appearance of the character. So in the end, it's extremely doubdtful they will decouple passives from the race. Doesn't make much sense to do so anyhow even though it would be another source for selling criowns.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    idk wrote: »

The original proposed solution to race change was to only change passives and not the character appearance.

In the end Zos chose to keep passives tied to the appearance of the character. So in the end, it's extremely doubdtful they will decouple passives from the race. Doesn't make much sense to do so anyhow even though it would be another source for selling criowns.

What was their reasoning for it?
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Hey, notice how they don't have different stats for males and females? Yet they do for races...

So, Zenimax isn't sexist... they're just racist.

Interesting.

EDIT: This is a joke. Please don't take it literally.
    Edited by Marginis on January 31, 2018 6:41PM
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    weg0 wrote: »
    OP, I understand where you are coming from, but... IMHO that is not the proper solution. However, I agree that some of the racial passives are ill-conceived/misplaced and changes are needed.

I do feel that the weapon you level fastest should be selectable, as it has been that way in past games. The racial passives, though, are meant to portray the very real difference some of these races have from one another lore-wise and need to be left intact.

I just don't even see how the lore backs up the set-in-stone racial passives, though.

Shalidor is one of the greatest mages in TES lore and he's a Nord.

The Morag Tong were a Dunmer institution.

Ysgramor is one of the greatest warriors in TES lore and he was Atmoran (predecessors of the Nords).

And yet, Nords are horrible for any DPS role and Dunmer are horrible for a stealth/assassin build.

I see no reason, from either a lore or gameplay perspective, that the racial passives can't be significantly altered such that the race you choose has a lesser impact on your effectiveness in combat.
    Edited by LiquidPony on January 31, 2018 8:15PM
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    idk wrote: »

I think there's good reasons for de-coupling it. I mean, it's not unthinkable to have super strong elves with a lot of grit, or magically adept orcs.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea.
    Nah it would ruin immersion
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea.
    Leave as is. The racial differentiation in this game is a nice wrinkle and one of the many aspects that makes ESO special.

✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Interesting feedback. Hm, don't think I've heard any convincing arguments from the no-side of things.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    Tasear wrote: »
    Nah it would ruin immersion

You can have immersion even if you define your own racial "pack". I think the current system actually counts a gainst immersion.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Idea.
    My immersion is hurt because my Khajiit does not use weapons, yet his weapon crit is increased. He also despises picking pockets and never wears more than a single piece of medium armor, yet apparently he's racially better at those things.