The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

moved

DoctorESO
DoctorESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
moved
Edited by DoctorESO on September 22, 2018 11:22PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old concept that won’t die.

The idea is all players need to be in in the room and I’m sure initially it was more due to programming limitations that later became utilized for difficulty.

Now it seems to just annoy people. It’s like hey, how do those doors know to open and then all of a sudden close. Seems more logical that we’d all need to break through said door
    Not sure how valid but....
    Interesting read: http://www.geekinsider.com/heck-first-video-game-boss-come/
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on January 24, 2018 1:49AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A number of fights occur in arenas where it would be possible to move back through the entrance and cheese the boss by ignoring mechanics.

Take the Abomination in ICP for instance. All mechanics in the fight have set locations in the arena. Thus if the doors to the arena did not close during the fight, it would be trivial to move outside where the boss has no chance to hit you, and take him down with ranged abilities.

We saw this exact thing happen with the final boss in Tempest Island, where you could kite the boss down the entrance ramp, and go through the entire fight without having to deal with the whirlwinds.

Tl;dr rooms tend to lock to avoid cheese tactics, because it is easier than making tethering mechanics.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy Vaults of Madness, where players who are late to the fight have to cross fields of coldfire, but can totally cross if the healer is on the ball and covering them.

There may have been a few times when I though my friends where right behind me on the harvester and Grothdarr boss and they...weren't.
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of bosses are too big to make it through the doors. I would guess it's so you can't stay outside the door and beat him down without him touching you...
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ****... ****... No escape! :s
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old concept that won’t die.

The idea is all players need to be in in the room and I’m sure initially it was more due to programming limitations that later became utilized for difficulty.

Now it seems to just annoy people. It’s like hey, how do those doors know to open and then all of a sudden close. Seems more logical that we’d all need to break through said door
    Not sure how valid but....
    Interesting read: http://www.geekinsider.com/heck-first-video-game-boss-come/

Considering that many of the newer fights have mechanics that will bring players into the room it seems not as much for annoyance but probably to prevent some aspects of exploiting.

Take into account, vAS Olms, they made it so players were brought into the room since if one DCed during the fight they could get back in. They actually made the area much larger for bringing players in due to some exploiting.

HoF is the same except one fight, iirc, that a player/players are brought into the room once they get close to the door.
  • TeamSeinfeld
    TeamSeinfeld
    ✭✭✭
    Learned this the hard way awhile back on ICP. I had recently got my provisoning up to level 50 so as we moved into one of the arenas, I couldn’t help briefly checking a few barrels. Whoops. Doors closed until fight ends. I’m stuck on wrong side of the door. Won’t do that ever again. And I used to make fun of people who did that!
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 22, 2018 11:22PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fun then tank is gogogo and end up using forever on soloing a boss :)

Wayrest is also annoying in that the door is bugged.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's just there to prevent exploiting. A lot of the bosses can be either pulled out of their rooms(at which point they might stop doing some of their room-centered mechanics) or agroed from outside the room at which point you can safely range attack them to death with most of their attacks never reaching you.

Some of those need fixing, like doors on Engine Guardian fight are a giant pain in...certain places because boss goes down soon as first person enters the room and then anyone going through the room will initiate combat and get doors closed, even if there're still people behind it. The key is either everyone goes in at once or everyone sneaks, but it's super unintuitive and hard to know for new players. Others, like the Maw boss in CoA II, I'm just so glad you can't exploit it anymore...of course, now you can solo that boss with closed eyes pretty much so not like that matters, but still :/ I HATED people pulling him out of his room so they wouldn't have to deal with ads. I wouldn't mind Overfiend door being fixed as well because I hate doing the gate stack thing yet everyone seems to firmly believe that's the only way to do it.