The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Which house is closest to crafting/merchants?

Doctor_Goblin
I've got the crowns burning a hole in my pocket, so size doesn't matter. I'm looking for a combination of cool/interesting and convenient. I already have the snugpod and that's great for the outlaw refuge but I need better access to crafting, merchants, bank, etc. I see that Captain Margaux's Place is super convenient to crafting but it's a little small and boring.
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleek Creek House is best for thats
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That would make the apartment in Deshaan probably less than desirable for you too, then. Otherwise would suggest that since bank is across the way and the crafting/trade hub just a few meters from the door.

Old Mistveil Manor is just outside the gates of Riften. Not just a case of opening your front door and there you are, but not far on horseback, especially if you've maxed your speed.

Gardner House in Stormhaven is right across from the writ turn in. Being Stormhaven, stuff is a little spread out, especially compared to Deshaan but you would still be in a capital city and close to a lot of amenities.

Not sure how those two larger houses measure up in terms of cool/interesting for you, but I would say they meet the convenience factor.

PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap Margaux's in Daggerfall
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grymharth's Woe - In Windhelm.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The house next to mournhold
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like my Snugpod in Elden root.

I typically like it for doing alchemy and enchanting master writs.. put in my daily writ... rng a master writ... do it in my house walk back out to put it in.

Its also creatively decorated but since I can only have one primary residence no one gets to see it any more :(
  • AardvarkChips
    AardvarkChips
    ✭✭✭
    Captain Margaux's house is only boring if you let it be boring. It is big enough to hold personal crafting, a banker, and a merchant. There is a real bank, 3 merchants, and both writ boards directly outside the door, and the stable just outside the S. gate nearby. How much more convenient could it get?
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 1:35AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 1:35AM
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Humblemud has a super location and it has nice outdoor space
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how many doors you're willing to go through. My personal favorite, Sleek Creek, opens up into an unguarded outlaw's refuge entrance, and right up the hill are crafting stations and merchants all out in the open. The only downside is that the bank is indoors.

Another good option is, ironically, the really lame free apartment(s). Two doors to get outside, but then everything is mostly consolidated to one area.

But, Saint Delyn Penthouse is the best cheap option, nestled in Viviec City with everything outdoors, even if you have to go through two doors to reach the outside world.

I can't think of many expensive crown homes that are conveniently located. Perhaps the midsized home just outside Riften?

Edit: I heavily suggest Sleek Creek. It's one of the few non-manor homes that has a water features and the ambient noise is incredibly relaxing. Due to the layout there is plenty of outdoor space for furnishing and crafting stations under the house itself, unlike with homes like Mistveil. The indoor section is snug, but spacious enough to still feel homey rather than stifling.
    Edited by Jhalin on January 29, 2018 8:14AM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    flaming Nix Deluxe garret in mournhold. its where I port to do all my crafting writs, plus to check on pledges. that said... its pretty small. larger houses that are convenient? I suppose sleek creek, I just personaly don't like Rawk'la for crafting as much as mournhold
    Edited by Linaleah on January 29, 2018 8:21AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"