The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Repeating a Quest

Garamant
Garamant
✭✭✭
Greetings,

having fun playing this game, just bought it, a week ago, however one question arises for me atm, since it just happened and happened more often before. Since I often find other players doing the same quests as I am doing, and most of those players are higher lvl (200+) than I am (I m about 30) , I simply dont get the chance to do the quest for myself. Now if I see them doing the quest I try to abandon it asap, so I can do it sometimes later, but as it just happened to me, they just instakilled the boss I was having a blast fighting against... ... . So since this happened several times now, (also they killed the other mob before I arrived and then decided to show up while i was taking on the boss...), and I am feeling like the quest was practically stolen... is there a way to repeat it?
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only on another character I'm afraid.

Sometimes when i want to fight a boss solo, I sneak up somewhere and wait until everyone has pissed off. Sadly, have other players around is part of playing an MMO. One that I like but it can be annoying sometimes... :)
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can drop the quest before giving it in - all quests' last step is "go tell NPC X you just did Y", the quest will render finished when you accept the reward NPC offers you. Until you do that(even if you do get as far as reward screen), you can drop the quest - leave npc convo if necessary, find the quest in your journal and drop it. If you have accepted the reward though, there's no way to repeat it unless it's a daily or you do it on another character.

I know I've dropped quests way more than I should have just to see the other branch of the story or something lol. Or, like in your case, if some part of it got "autocompleted" without letting me actually see what's going on.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly not. There are some repeatable quests in the game (known as daily quests) but generally these are not the main zone or story quests.

Depending what quests you're doing the bosses should normally respawn and let you fight them again, even if the quest has been completed. As ESO is open world you're often going to find other players around you doing the same content, there are some instanced areas which are personal to you and you'll get to fight alone, but for the most part the game is open and this will happen a lot.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have that problem a lot and have to go do it with an alt. Often when I am doing a quest and some Rushy McRusherton comes racing along one-shotting everything in their path, I just stop and let them play through and go get a snack. But it sucks when they come up behind you, and it's someone who's done the quest before and couldn't care less except to rush through it.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quests which can be done only once have a black arrow above the head of the NPC, repeatable ones have a blue arrow. Story quests are of the first category. Don't feel bad for turning in a quest at low levels if you're on your first character, just leveling to 50. Just enjoy the game as it is. Only some of the quest rewards are useful, and thus worth having at maximum level, but most are bad sets/traits, or simply non-set items.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Garamant
    Garamant
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    yes just thought of abandoning before making my way to the "questgiver". Just did the quest anew. It is definitly helpful once in a while, if the boss is just to frustrating and you simply cant with your best will defeat the boss, to have someone else help you. For that kind of circumstance its very helpful to have someone around, but yeah, sometimes not ... in the future i ll just abandon it before I turn it in to the questgiver... if thats still possible and to it later on all again.

Thanks for the quick replies
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember any of the quest enemies being particularly challenging, even on my 1st play-trough when I didn't have any CP. And my build was terrible. If you have problems defeating overland enemies alone, I guess you'll have to take a look at the skills (Are you buffing yourself, using skills that do damage over time?) and gear (Is it at or near your current level and part of your set?) you are using for the respective class, whether you are more stamina and magicka orientated (It's not a good idea spreading attributes around) and whether you have a buff food active (that will add 20-30% to your stats).
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Garamant
    Garamant
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I don't remember any of the quest enemies being particularly challenging, even on my 1st play-trough when I didn't have any CP. And my build was terrible. If you have problems defeating overland enemies alone, I guess you'll have to take a look at the skills (Are you buffing yourself, using skills that do damage over time?) and gear (Is it at or near your current level and part of your set?) you are using for the respective class, whether you are more stamina and magicka orientated (It's not a good idea spreading attributes around) and whether you have a buff food active (that will add 20-30% to your stats).

some have been for me, but most not at all. It was all about finding out how to deal with the tough ones (blocking avoiding, and then charging again etc). Took me 2-3 tries to find out how to work against a particular tough boss (i actually liked that challenge lot) and then it was easy. But most of the bosses were possible on the first try. Wished the regular mob had diversity and that kind of challenge too
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an MMO, and people aren't "stealing" your quest. There is a mechanism in the game called Cadwell's Silver and Gold, this is where you see the story from the eyes of the other alliances, they are lvl 200 most likely because this is their second or third trip through Tamriel on the "main" quest. To an extent I understand your position but abandoning quests because other people are doing it as well is maddening to me. If there is one thing that is great about this game is that there are people everywhere. Some far flung area out in the middle of mid tier zone and sure enough, there are a group of people, farming, RPing, questing, skyshard hunting etc. Get used to seeing people, embrace it, there are some quest, I'm looking at you upper Craglorn, that you'll be very pleased someone else happened by.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    afraid this is part of any MMO questing. ;)

Some Parts of the figherguild/ mageguild/ main quest - are pure solo instance.
    PC
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this thread, and made me think. I’m probabably one of many people out there zooming through quests some days. Skill points are important so people who have a lot of alts move fast sometimes. Most quest zoomers aren’t out to hurt others enjoyment or anything like that.

I know, when I first started I was often happy when somebody fast showed up when I ran out of soulgems, and depleted armor made things difficult. I can see where it could be bad though.

Still wish skill points earned through the zone quests were account wide like colors. Found items (skyshards and lore books) are a fun thing to hunt again but the zone missions are always going to be rushed when done 14 times. I want to create an army of crafters so some zone missions are a must.