The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

My Suggestions for True Class Balance

Slycology
Slycology
✭✭
Nightblade:

Nightblades are in a fairly good spot right now and only need a few minor changes.

- The recent changes to Shades and Assassin’s Will are good and welcomed, keep them.

- The recent changes to Agony could’ve been implemented a bit better to achieve Zos’s desired goal. I would do something like this:

Base Skill: Create a Channel with an enemy for 3 seconds that restores health (a generous amount) to your allies each second. Allies also gain Minor Protection for the duration of the Channel.

Morph 1: Allies also gain Major Force for the duration of the channel.

Morph 2: No longer a Channel, instead places Minor Magicka Steal, Minor Stamina Steal, and Minor Life Steal on the enemy for 8 seconds.

These changes would allow Nightblades to use the Siphoning tree more to its purpose by creating a “Siphoning”- themed Skill that benefits a group and adds more to the role of a Nightblade healer, while also giving NB’s something to compete with the group healing and utility capabilities of Templars and Wardens

- Cloak is also in need of a bit of TLC. While already a very powerful skill, any NB will tell you that due to the many powerful snares in the game, cloak is often rendered almost useless in PVP scenarios as an escape. I propose to have cloak remove snares on activation.

Dragonknight:

Dragonknights, specifically Magicka DK’s, are going to be hurting badly soon, and that’s not what they need. I get that they are designed around a tanky playstyle, but as a player who’s been around since Beta, bottlenecking a class into one role is not what this game is about. Every class should be capable of build diversity to provide an interesting experience.

I would suggest the following changes for Dragonknights:

- Most major and typically used class skills need a significant cost-reduction treatment to bring them in line with other class costs.
- If there is a way to make chains not so elevation restricted, do that.
- Elder Dragon passive should be a max stat increase: While a Draconic Power ability is slotted, increase max Health, Stamina, and Magicka by 2/3% [this helps keep the DK vision of a tank class, while bring them more in line with the performance and versatility of other classes, plus very few people build around health recovery]
- Dragon blood: Needs to have a small HOT after the initial heal for both morphs: Heals you for (X), then for (X) over 3 seconds, both heals increasing healing by up to 33% based on the missing health (Still scalable by Magicka stats for Coagulating Blood) [This keeps the risk/reward of using dragon blood, while making it a unique skill to use and brings it into the actually useable territory]
- Obsidian Shield: Just buff the shield amount, and make fragmented Shield taunt enemies in an AOE upon its damage done. [This makes the Shield usable by buffing it’s actual strength, and would give the other morph a ton of value to Magicka DK tanks who want a alternative to frost staves, Stamina skills, or undaunted skills]
- Battle Roar: just a buff, nothing too crazy or game-breaking, but make this awesome mechanic great again!
- Helping Hands: Also restores Magicka on Earthen Heart ability activation
- Dragonknight Standard and Magma Armor: Buff duration

Sorcerors:

Sorcerers aren’t terrible as they are, they need some help with Crystal Frags and Crystal Blast but all that’s needed is a reversion of the recent changes to Fragments and an overhaul of Blast. Fragments was a great PVP morph, and a skill that Sorcs revolves around. It wasn’t any more overpowered than other class “proc” skills, just bring it back. Crystal blast on the other hand needs to be reworked for PVE, maybe something like this:

- Crystal Blast: also can proc a special skill when Magicka abilities are used, but this morph fires a crystal projectile at the enemy that deals (X) magic damage and after 3 seconds, explodes dealing (X) magic damage for each enemy in the 8 meter Blast diameter. [This would give a unique skill to sorcs that benefits them in PVE and tailors to their playstyle, the additional damage on the second AOE hit would obviously need to not be a huge number making the skill overpowered, but enough to make it work using in trash and boss fights with adds]

Templar:

Templars have a lot going for them, they have some great passives and skills, but they also have some major drawbacks, namely in mobility. I would really only suggest that while a Templar is in their Ritual of Retribution, they gain major expedition, and upon leaving the area of effect, keep that major expedition for 8 seconds. This keeps Wrobel’s vision of the Templar house but makes templars a bit more accessible as an open-world PVP option.

Warden:

Zos did a good job with the Warden, it’s a versatile class with a lot of good, interesting skills and mechanics, it has its strengths and its weaknesses and can keep up with the rest of the pack in most play styles, except for Magicka-based PVP DPS. They have excellent burst damage which is great for PVP, but need more of a sustained damage option for PVE. Due to the very specific need and the careful change that would be required to fill that need so as not to throw the balance of an already good class out of whack, I would suggest that Fletcher Infection, upon the second cast would also grant the caster Minor Slayer. This change would ONLY improve the Warden’s PVE DPS, and should be the only change needed to give them a spot in end-game PVE.

Thanks for reading the long post, let me know what you think!

@GinaBruno @EricWrobel @RichLambert
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with every thing said.
  • Slycology
    Slycology
    ✭✭
    Thanks! I’m hoping we get some Dev attention. I feel these changes would bridge a lot of gaps.
  • rustic_potato
    rustic_potato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem is suggestions that are PVP oriented will completely break the PVE side of the game and vice versa. Hey if you can manage to make ZOS to balance via buffs and not nerfs kudos to you.

NB:
    Buff my NB even moar, time to push for a 30 day campaign domination again. Lol.

DK:
    Cost reduction alone would push this class towards overpowered zone. If all the above buffs are implemented them it will be ridiculous.
    Sorcs:
    Range, burst and mobility. No matter how you balance this as long as they have the 3 they will be strong.

Templar:
    Free major expedition? Why not.

Warden:
    Minor slayer is interesting idea would free the warden from trial sets.
    I play how I want to.

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no aoe taunt. especially one that is class specific.

lol at templars being a good spot.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not enough on the stamDK side.

We need more drastic changes, not small buffs here and there.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Outside of a few numerical tweaks to buff inherently weak skills - class balance should be a fairly simple affair for the combat team.

The solution is simple: go home. Nothing the combat team does will bring balance any closer than it is now.

The onus of balance is on Finn & Co IMO. They need to make trials, monsters, bosses that have the type of mechanics that make all classes and specs desireable in a raid. Magplars low DPS isn't the problem - magplar's supplemental job as offhealer is the problem. Mag DKs low DPS isn't the problem - mag DK's supplemental role as controller/debuffer is the problem.

This is how Wrobel sees those two classes and why he can't balance them to save his life. Because on paper they appear to work fine. Magplar is a great off healer and Mag DKs are great at controlling adds. But then you run into the issue that players don't give a flying *** about doing mechanics and prefer to just stack monster DPS to otherwise pay as little attention to those mechanics as possible; you end up where a class' secondary roles become ultimately pointless.

Some people of lesser brainpower might suggest that none of the above matters, because in practice they aren't important so they should scale up the weaker DPS appropriately. This is exactly how magblade came to rise in the past few patches, and a few years ago as well. They are moderate offhealers/debuffers who do great damage, so why not just stack 8 of them? This position lacks of any serious foresight.
  • rustic_potato
    rustic_potato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    Outside of a few numerical tweaks to buff inherently weak skills - class balance should be a fairly simple affair for the combat team.

The solution is simple: go home. Nothing the combat team does will bring balance any closer than it is now.

The onus of balance is on Finn & Co IMO. They need to make trials, monsters, bosses that have the type of mechanics that make all classes and specs desireable in a raid. Magplars low DPS isn't the problem - magplar's supplemental job as offhealer is the problem. Mag DKs low DPS isn't the problem - mag DK's supplemental role as controller/debuffer is the problem.

This is how Wrobel sees those two classes and why he can't balance them to save his life. Because on paper they appear to work fine. Magplar is a great off healer and Mag DKs are great at controlling adds. But then you run into the issue that players don't give a flying *** about doing mechanics and prefer to just stack monster DPS to otherwise pay as little attention to those mechanics as possible; you end up where a class' secondary roles become ultimately pointless.

Some people of lesser brainpower might suggest that none of the above matters, because in practice they aren't important so they should scale up the weaker DPS appropriately. This is exactly how magblade came to rise in the past few patches, and a few years ago as well. They are moderate offhealers/debuffers who do great damage, so why not just stack 8 of them? This position lacks of any serious foresight.

Hey vAS groups are already running something like 7 NB 1 sorc with a templar off tank or 6 NB with a sorc and a rangedplar. They still need that token sorc and templar for the minor prophecy and sorcery buffs.
    I play how I want to.