The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Crafting in the future

timborggrenlarsenb16_ESO
Will we ever see that ESO acknowledges that they have failed in Crafting design?
And will there ever be a re-make on this design, if so what are needed to be done. ?
FFFRRREEEDDDOOOMMM!!!
- Be Anyone.
- Do Anything.
- Go Anywhere.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    troll post with no info what you mean?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will make 4 separate points:

1) There are at least 5-6 crafted sets that can be used as part of end game builds. The rest are garbage though and need looked at, one glaring example being Armor Master set, which requires 9 traits to craft, and access to PvP area, which is outclassed by a 4 trait set, Fortified Brass, which has no added requirements to get almost the same buffs, and is located in an easy PvE area.

2) As of Homestead patch you can craft furnishings, in addition to gear and consumables. Yet some of the needed blueprints are almost impossible to find, and when they are found, they go for upwards of 500K on guild stores. Making at least some of them purchasable with vouchers, which will be implemented in Dragon Bones patch, is a step in the right direction. Vouchers themselves are not hard to get, if you aren't picky about your Master Writs: you can get tons by crafting the single and double digit consumable ones, instead of a few triple digit legendary gear ones.

3) As of Clockwork City patch you can change the trait on any piece of gear, provided you have researched that trait and you have 50 crystals; the drop rate for the latter has been sufficient, and even excessive, bordering exploit, in some regards, the latter being fixed in Dragon Bones patch as well. The system clearly rewards people that have researched multiple traits on at least one of their character.

4) The Outfit System coming with Dragon Bones also rewards people who have learned multiple motifs on at least one of their characters. Some people have complained that making the outfit itself is expensive. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. On one hand it still makes sense having your armor crafted in a fancy style, and thus not needing a costume, so crafters can still craft for others. On another, having a gold sink in game is necessary to prevent inflation. For someone who bought hundreds of motif pages in order to have them available at the Outfit Station, paying several thousand gold to make an outfit barely makes any difference.

So crafting is far from "failed", but it still needs some changes. At least it seems that things are moving in a good direction.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    STOP MY MOTHER******* DECONSTRUCTION LIST FROM REARRANGING ITSELF EVERY TIME I DECON SOMETHING

SO

ANNOYING
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree crafting is a dissaster in this game. It doesnt get anyworse than provising.

Soo many useless recipes that could be deleated if recipes scaled with your character.

Alchemy that creates potions that break the game.

Multi effect potions that have zero side effects.

Snake blood passive lol

Not being able to find key ingredients to make desired recipes because they are beneath your level.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    STOP MY MOTHER******* DECONSTRUCTION LIST FROM REARRANGING ITSELF EVERY TIME I DECON SOMETHING

SO

ANNOYING

Using profanities and CAPS at the same time always works in getting your point across ... whether that’s with ZOS or in real life.

There is also an in-game ‘lock’ function ... so that important items don’t show up in the decon list at the crafting table.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    I agree crafting is a dissaster in this game. It doesnt get anyworse than provising.

Soo many useless recipes that could be deleated if recipes scaled with your character.

Nooooo! Lol. I’m two blue food recipes away from knowing every recipe (other than mythic ambrosia) in the game. The completionist in me would cry Lorkhan’s tears if they removed a bunch of recipes.

Not being able to find key ingredients to make desired recipes because they are beneath your level.

Not sure I understand this one. Provisioning ingredients aren’t leveled. You find the same items at level 3 as you do CP690.

Alchemy solvents level, but I don’t think that’s what you’re referring to.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• programcanaan
    programcanaan
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I will make 4 separate points:

1) There are at least 5-6 crafted sets that can be used as part of end game builds. The rest are garbage though and need looked at, one glaring example being Armor Master set, which requires 9 traits to craft, and access to PvP area, which is outclassed by a 4 trait set, Fortified Brass, which has no added requirements to get almost the same buffs, and is located in an easy PvE area.

2) As of Homestead patch you can craft furnishings, in addition to gear and consumables. Yet some of the needed blueprints are almost impossible to find, and when they are found, they go for upwards of 500K on guild stores. Making at least some of them purchasable with vouchers, which will be implemented in Dragon Bones patch, is a step in the right direction. Vouchers themselves are not hard to get, if you aren't picky about your Master Writs: you can get tons by crafting the single and double digit consumable ones, instead of a few triple digit legendary gear ones.

3) As of Clockwork City patch you can change the trait on any piece of gear, provided you have researched that trait and you have 50 crystals; the drop rate for the latter has been sufficient, and even excessive, bordering exploit, in some regards, the latter being fixed in Dragon Bones patch as well. The system clearly rewards people that have researched multiple traits on at least one of their character.

4) The Outfit System coming with Dragon Bones also rewards people who have learned multiple motifs on at least one of their characters. Some people have complained that making the outfit itself is expensive. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. On one hand it still makes sense having your armor crafted in a fancy style, and thus not needing a costume, so crafters can still craft for others. On another, having a gold sink in game is necessary to prevent inflation. For someone who bought hundreds of motif pages in order to have them available at the Outfit Station, paying several thousand gold to make an outfit barely makes any difference.

So crafting is far from "failed", but it still needs some changes. At least it seems that things are moving in a good direction.

Pretty much all of this.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will we ever see that ESO acknowledges that they have failed in Crafting design?
    And will there ever be a re-make on this design, if so what are needed to be done. ?

At some point, I recall some Dev mumbling things along the lines of a crafting overhaul.

The thought of this both excites and scares me. For one thing, I think they got a lot of the core crafting design right. They just need to advance it forward a couple of years. That is an exciting thought.

However, recent updates have chipped away at Crafting and made it more of a side show. Furniture crafting is a bolt-on system that sort of scavenges existing stuff to make it work. As has been pointed out by other threads, the furniture recipes and ingredients seem to be selected based on some criteria other than whether they should be used in furniture. The Outfit system narrows the utility of styles in crafting. Changes in One Tamriel changed how crafting nodes work and narrowed the player-to-player utility. Dropped sets are challenging crafted sets.

What scares me is that today's ZOS might see a crafting overhaul as nothing more than a gold sink and Crown Store opportunity. The resulting system will be terrific for the finance people, and anyone not interested in crafting, but be less exciting for those who like crafting and want the game to have a really good RPG crafting system.

1. They need to make sure that all designs include a solid element of player-to-player exchange. Materials and crafted items need to exchange hands and be a viable resource for those who don't like crafting.
    2. They need to untangle furniture crafting from everything else and make the furniture recipes logical. It needs to be a skill line separate from the others.
    3. Crafted armor and weapons need to be revised according to difficulty (currently, # of traits) required.
    4. Eliminate CP itemization. Level 1 to 50 only.

The fact that Provisioning has so many recipes makes it one of the more interesting crafting experiences in the game. It allows for customization based on favorites, and offers a seemingly endless list of things to collect and craft.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    Not sure I understand this one. Provisioning ingredients aren’t leveled. You find the same items at level 3 as you do CP690.

Alchemy solvents level, but I don’t think that’s what you’re referring to.
    Some of the special provisioning recipes use levelled solvents that can be a pain to find (or sell!), I think Orzoga's Red Frothgar and Dubious Camoran Throne.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is OP actually serious ans unable to articulate or, well, notnso seeuous.

Crafting is fine. I e crafted in this game since April 2014 and there are crafted sets worn in top trial groups today.

Well, that's all I have to say. If OP is serious he seems to need some enlightenment about crafting.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

SO

ANNOYING

Using profanities and CAPS at the same time always works in getting your point across ... whether that’s with ZOS or in real life.

There is also an in-game ‘lock’ function ... so that important items don’t show up in the decon list at the crafting table.

I didn't use profanity I used asterisks. And sometimes you get something that you forget to lock because we are humans and make mistakes. A bug occurring for over 3 months deserves alot more than profanities and caps imo when I pay a $15 premiuem tier sub
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

SO

ANNOYING

I didn't use profanity I used asterisks. And sometimes you get something that you forget to lock because we are humans and make mistakes. A bug occurring for over 3 months deserves alot more than profanities and caps imo when I pay a $15 premiuem tier sub

As much as I hate this too, I don’t think it’s a bug, and is instead, working as intended from ZoS’s last update. When they introduced item list prioritization with ornate/intricate items pushed to the top of the sell/deconstruction lists respectively, it also used “intuitive” reordering to put the items you “should” want to deconstruct first, and items you might want to save for research lower on the list. Apparently each time you deconstruct an item, the program recalculates the remaining items and reorders the list accordingly. Why it continues to do it on my full 9-trait crafter who has nothing needed to save for research, when I have no ornate items that would be more appropriately sold rather than deconstructed, I don’t know.

Either way, I hate it too and feel your pain.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

SO

ANNOYING

As much as I hate this too, I don’t think it’s a bug, and is instead, working as intended from ZoS’s last update. When they introduced item list prioritization with ornate/intricate items pushed to the top of the sell/deconstruction lists respectively, it also used “intuitive” reordering to put the items you “should” want to deconstruct first, and items you might want to save for research lower on the list. Apparently each time you deconstruct an item, the program recalculates the remaining items and reorders the list accordingly. Why it continues to do it on my full 9-trait crafter who has nothing needed to save for research, when I have no ornate items that would be more appropriately sold rather than deconstructed, I don’t know.

Either way, I hate it too and feel your pain.

Damn.... I think you're right when you put it like that. Well if it's working as intended then the intention is horrible and it needs to reversed because it feels like the games crafting interface is actively trying to get you to make mistakes.