Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Quests starting over in dungeons/ instance removal

RedBullTex
RedBullTex
Soul Shriven
So, does anyone feel like there should be an option to resume a quest from a dungeon if you were unable to turn it in before your group mates leave? I had in issue where I was done with the boss on the quest for Wayrest 2 and waiting for dialogue to finish when my game crashes and of course when the game loads back into the dungeon, it places me IN THE FRONT and before I can get to the portal I get romeved from dungeon because the rest of the group had already left. Then as I pay gold to fast travel back there guess what? The whole quest STARTS OVER! Granted, it’s an easy dungeon for many of us, but I sure don’t wanna waste time on something I already did. The only information I see online is saying I needed to just log out and log back in, lol, but that definitely doesn’t help in this situation where it completely resets. Any thoughts???
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, you'll have to run the dungeon again in order to turn it in or pick up any missed quest stages. There's no real solution other than informing your groupmates that you have the quest and hope they'll wait until you've turned it in.
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else had a problem not being able to start quest in the first place? no one can share it & I know i have not done it yet. when I enter the npc is there for me to talk to through the entire thing there is just nothing that starts/finishes a quest.
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 22, 2018 7:56PM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 22, 2018 7:52PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's just how instancing works, I'm not sure if it's that easy to change. I mean of course it could be done but the way I understand this works...instances are different from open world. There's one(well, in reality several due to it being split into shards to avoid overpopulation, but still) open world for all of us but there's N number of instances of, say, Wayrest Sewers, N being the number of teams currently doing them. After people leave, the instance disappears and as they enter again new one gets created. Of course they could keep the instance open but...
    1)how would you actually reset then? On timer? What if you're farming a dungeon and want to restart as you finish? On prompt, be it by npc or in settings? Possibly, but...
    2)what if you forget/neglect finishing the instance and don't go back in for another few months? Now we have an empty yet active instance that the server has to keep track of. For indefinite amount of time. And given you won't be alone with this, we will now have thousands of them...
    3)how will the instance even be tracked? There's (usually) 4 people in a team and the instance is linked to a team, so as soon as team no longer exists(group disbanded), the instance kicks everyone and stops existing as well. In the case of keeping it open, would that still be one common instance(meaning server now has to keep track of everyone who was in the team) - or 4 separate ones(meaning we now have 4 extra instances instead of 1) then?

The only instance that currently kinda saves your progress is vMA but even that...first, it's solo one, second, it doesn't actually save your exact progress. It has 8 checkpoints, one after each arena, which it ticks off as you reach them. So instead of keeping full instance info in memory, it's tracking something like "char 368065689123 - arena 8". It doesn't even remember which round you were on. With a dungeon, that wouldn't fly. There're varying numbers of bosses, there're bosses people skip, there're trash packs people skip, there're different steps of a quest...it'd actually have to remember full instance.

9/10 people will wait for you to turn quest in if you notify them at the start. Personally I've also done all my first completions with friends because I wanted to have the time to read the full story as well, but that's just me. There're plenty of friendly guilds out there who do friendly dungeon runs.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 22, 2018 8:00PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    Magdalina wrote: »
    That's just how instancing works, I'm not sure if it's that easy to change. I mean of course it could be done but the way I understand this works...instances are different from open world. There's one(well, in reality several due to it being split into shards to avoid overpopulation, but still) open world for all of us but there's N number of instances of, say, Wayrest Sewers, N being the number of teams currently doing them. After people leave, the instance disappears and as they enter again new one gets created. Of course they could keep the instance open but...
    1)how would you actually reset then? On timer? What if you're farming a dungeon and want to restart as you finish? On prompt, be it by npc or in settings? Possibly, but...
    2)what if you forget/neglect finishing the instance and don't go back in for another few months? Now we have an empty yet active instance that the server has to keep track of. For indefinite amount of time. And given you won't be alone with this, we will now have thousands of them...
    3)how will the instance even be tracked? There's (usually) 4 people in a team and the instance is linked to a team, so as soon as team no longer exists(group disbanded), the instance kicks everyone and stops existing as well. In the case of keeping it open, would that still be one common instance(meaning server now has to keep track of everyone who was in the team) - or 4 separate ones(meaning we now have 4 extra instances instead of 1) then?

The only instance that currently kinda saves your progress is vMA but even that...first, it's solo one, second, it doesn't actually save your exact progress. It has 8 checkpoints, one after each arena, which it ticks off as you reach them. So instead of keeping full instance info in memory, it's tracking something like "char 368065689123 - arena 8". It doesn't even remember which round you were on. With a dungeon, that wouldn't fly. There're varying numbers of bosses, there're bosses people skip, there're trash packs people skip, there're different steps of a quest...it'd actually have to remember full instance.

9/10 people will wait for you to turn quest in if you notify them at the start. Personally I've also done all my first completions with friends because I wanted to have the time to read the full story as well, but that's just me. There're plenty of friendly guilds out there who do friendly dungeon runs.

How about just make the instance disappear when the LAST person leaves the instance (instead of the second-to-last person, as it is now)? That's all we ask.

It's not about leaving the instance, it's about the group disbanding(well, group disbanding OR everyone leaving). If at least one other person doesn't drop group, the instance will stay even if you're the only person left in it(although it will reset when everyone leaves as well even without group disbanding, naturally).