Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Higher than normal Ping

mccloudx22b14_ESO
I haven't played in a few months but I come back and my ping has been 100+ since I started playing again. I used to hover between 30-80. All the ports for this game are open and an exception has been added to Windows Defender.
Is there anything else I can do? It's pretty unplayable at times at 150ms in dungeons with people.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    There are a number of factors that can cause high "ping" (latency). It is usually caused by congested/overloaded routers on the way to the target machine or low quality/inadequate bandwidth.

Here's a few simple troubleshooting steps that may help improve your ping:
    • To best access The Elder Scrolls Online, configure your router to open the following outbound ports:
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
      • TCP Port 80
      • TCP Port 433
    • Update the firmware of your router (it is always a good step to take, as it prevents that an outdated firmware interferes on your connection).
    • Try to put your modem/router far from all electrical devices and do not coil up any excess signal or power cables (to eliminate possible interference problems).
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah OP its been like that for a frw months. My ping used to be 100 or so. Now its constantly 185-285. I do endgame trials. Yeah i guess i just got used to it. :/ rip

The generic zos response never helped me. One time i realy pushed them on it and a tech worked with me and absolutely nothing helped. And my pc and my internet is good. Oh well.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
    Options
  • DoTHurts
    DoTHurts
    ✭✭✭
    Horowonnoe wrote: »
    Yeah OP its been like that for a frw months. My ping used to be 100 or so. Now its constantly 185-285. I do endgame trials. Yeah i guess i just got used to it. :/ rip

The generic zos response never helped me. One time i realy pushed them on it and a tech worked with me and absolutely nothing helped. And my pc and my internet is good. Oh well.

My ping is 400-450 and am looking into how to improve it, sounds like there is nothing I can do! A bit disappointing as I’m trying to do vMA and it makes it VERY painful...
    Options
  • godfather902
    Hello,

Just adding my problems here.

My latency in the game has always been around 100-120ms since 2014 that i started playing.

Everything was fine until yesterday but after this patch, latency has gone up to a constant 200+ms, with spikes up to 500-1000 in every zone. Interacting with NPC's or combat are pretty difficult currently. I can't imagine what it will be like in PVP.

Anyone else having similar issues?

I have checked my connection with the ISP and also with other games/websites and it is fine. I have port triggering as mentioned above since the day i started playing. Also i tried with all addons removed, still the same problems.

Would appreciate some information on this.

Thanks
    Options
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horowonnoe wrote: »

They have a looong history of blaming the client side, when they clearly have been having issues on the server side (possible network congestion)... I know we don't have to post some of the more embarrassing threads, right ZOS?

using a tool like MTR, you can measure latency and loss stats, by hop.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTR_(software)
    Edited by QuebraRegra on January 18, 2018 9:06PM
    Options
  • ad4mss
    ad4mss
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    There are a number of factors that can cause high "ping" (latency). It is usually caused by congested/overloaded routers on the way to the target machine or low quality/inadequate bandwidth.

Here's a few simple troubleshooting steps that may help improve your ping:
    • To best access The Elder Scrolls Online, configure your router to open the following outbound ports:
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
      • TCP Port 80
      • TCP Port 433
    • Update the firmware of your router (it is always a good step to take, as it prevents that an outdated firmware interferes on your connection).
    • Try to put your modem/router far from all electrical devices and do not coil up any excess signal or power cables (to eliminate possible interference problems).

Dude, people were reporting about this ping increases for weeks already and you say that we should try to open ports and put our network devices far from electrical stuff. That was fine few months, weeks ago we probably did that already and ping has not get fixed and it is still at same very poor rate which is more than 150. It's also not out network providers fault as it's fine with many other games, soft, etc. Why you won't say it's your side issues and just focus on fixing them. We love this game now even for PvE players there are problems with end game trials caused by ping. I could also mention tons of people who are really upset cuz of the lag in Cyrodiil but since Imperial City you don't really care about PvP in this game (Battlegrounds can't be included as a big part of PvP new content cuz you just made hype around it and after release people got dissapointment as it lack of features which true battlegrounds should have). So yes, I hope now after PvE players starting to have issues with ping doing PvE content you will focus on fixing that so PvP players will be able to make use of it.
    Whisper me in any case @ad4mss
    Follow me on Twitter @JAdamczewski
    Options
  • Zulur
    Zulur
    Soul Shriven
    People are having way too many issues when it comes to latency in this game. I first started playing this when game was launch and latency issues (constant spikes to 999+) have been the issue since. Granted those spikes won’t happen so often anymore and aren’t that drastic but still not very ideal. I’ve opened ports, tried several settings in my end (router and windows side) and mostly my latency is around 100. Which by the way isn’t very good. I can play Path of Exile German (and other European servers) and I latency is under 50, ping 35. I’ve run several tests to servers located in Germany and pretty much all of those my ping is under 40. I get better latency in pretty much all other online games (when servers are in Europe). So this +-100 is not as good as it could be. I've even tried tunneling services like WTFast and other vpn's, no improvements.

More you look into this, more obvious it is that Zenimax won’t invest to their servers as much as they could and in my opinion should. There have been several posts about this since launch but those tend to get buried, closed, people are being directed to other post with different title (not related with latency, ping etc.). Answers from ESO are this same stuff. ESO fanboys keep defending Zenimax, that what this world needs, more corporate defenders. That ensures that we get the best and most polished games possible, oh no it doesn’t! I wonder why?

So these latency issues are not getting better because Zenimax has no interest investing more into their servers because they know that they don’t have to.
    Options