Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What to focus on - PvP question for newbie

frakko
frakko
Hey Peeps,
So, currently I am CP210 and I am insure what to play in terms of PvP, should I go Normal campaign or the non CP campaign? I have gotten guildies crafted shacklebreaker gear for me and going more as a tank so that I can survive. Tested some battlegrounds, was fun but ppl got like 12k hits on me, my hits was 1-2k, dunno why tho but guess gear and cp levels are crazy.
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frakko wrote: »
    Hey Peeps,
    So, currently I am CP210 and I am insure what to play in terms of PvP, should I go Normal campaign or the non CP campaign? I have gotten guildies crafted shacklebreaker gear for me and going more as a tank so that I can survive. Tested some battlegrounds, was fun but ppl got like 12k hits on me, my hits was 1-2k, dunno why tho but guess gear and cp levels are crazy.

What are the traits you're running on your gear? Most people in PvP at 500CP and up so you have a pretty big gap so non-CP will help you learn to fight better but you can run with a group in a CP campaign and be just fine. What other sets are you running?
    Edited by imredneckson on January 14, 2018 6:23PM
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Peeps,

What are the traits you're running on your gear? Most people in PvP at 500CP and up so you have a pretty big gap. What other sets are you running?

This is clearly a build issue not a CP issue, though it’s exacerbated by his lack of CP for sure. 12k means you’ve got no enough impen or native resists and 1-2k hits from him means he’s not running enough damage either.

@frakko you can’t truly compete with top end players at your CP levels tbh. However, you can put together a credible build and learn mechanics with it as you gain CP. If you’ve got a good build you’ll be able to do open world despite lower Cp as long as you’re careful with positioning and don’t try to solo. the issues you’re seeing are build issues and we’ll need to know race, class, spec, gear traits, and all of your gear and skill choices to really start helping you. You’re at the gear cap so you should see no more than a 20% performance loss for your CP once we fine tune your setup
    Edited by Lexxypwns on January 14, 2018 6:27PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Joy_Divison's guide as a good intro to the basics of PVP: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event/p1

As for specific campaign advice, I can only talk about my experiences on PC/NA.

Sotha Sil is the No CP campaign. You won't be at a disadvantage compared to anyone else due to the lack of CP for everyone. However, you will find that you have less sustain and less damage mitigation compared to when you play in overland PVE with Champion Points (so will your opponents so the damage evens out). I'd suggest removing all your champion points and fighting a few overland NPCs to see if you need to increase your recovery before you head into the No CP campaign.

Battlegrounds will be swapping over to No CP with Update 17.

Vivec is the busy CP campaign. You'll find fights and semi-organized PVP going on at all times of the day. Its fairly easily to find a group to tag along with or just follow the flow of combat back and forth between certain keeps. You will face the disadvantage of only having 210 CP. Most of your opponents will have better sustain and damage mitigation than you in addition to most being more experienced. Vivec's benefit is that you'll have many more allies than the other CP server, its downside is that you'll have lots more enemies.

Shor is the slow-paced CP campaign. Shor has a much lower population than Vivec during the day, but picks up at primetime. Small groups can make a big impact on Shor, but its also very frustrating if the other factions have more players with the lower population much more vulnerable to being unbalanced. Shor is a great place to learn - its where I learned - if you don't want to deal with the hordes on Vivec but it can be harder to find a group to team up with as a new player.

So my recommendation is that you try No CP and see if you feel comfortable with how different it is from playing regular overland PVE now that you don't have the benefit of CP. If you like it, great! If you don't, I'd try out Shor as the easier CP campign unless you feel comfortable jumping into the large groups on Vivec and fighting large groups of enemies with your allies.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join a pvp guild its a good way to learn how to play and get advices.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • frakko
    frakko
    Hey Peeps,

What are the traits you're running on your gear? Most people in PvP at 500CP and up so you have a pretty big gap so non-CP will help you learn to fight better but you can run with a group in a CP campaign and be just fine. What other sets are you running?

Currently 5 Shacklebreaker with Impenetrable and werewolf (jewelery and wep) obtained overland so those are bit randomized.

• frakko
    frakko
    Hey Peeps,

Currently 5 Shacklebreaker with Impenetrable and werewolf (jewelery and wep) obtained overland so those are bit randomized.
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Hey Peeps,

What are the traits you're running on your gear? Most people in PvP at 500CP and up so you have a pretty big gap. What other sets are you running?

This is clearly a build issue not a CP issue, though it’s exacerbated by his lack of CP for sure. 12k means you’ve got no enough impen or native resists and 1-2k hits from him means he’s not running enough damage either.

@frakko you can’t truly compete with top end players at your CP levels tbh. However, you can put together a credible build and learn mechanics with it as you gain CP. If you’ve got a good build you’ll be able to do open world despite lower Cp as long as you’re careful with positioning and don’t try to solo. the issues you’re seeing are build issues and we’ll need to know race, class, spec, gear traits, and all of your gear and skill choices to really start helping you. You’re at the gear cap so you should see no more than a 20% performance loss for your CP once we fine tune your setup

Thanks for the input,
    My build is Alcasts tank build
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-pvp-build2/

Dk, Breton with Shacklebreaker and werewolf.
    I played 2hrs of Campaign and was engaged in very big fights, which was fun and sometimes when positioning wrong I just got insta dead. Managed tho to stay alive longer with all the defensive abilities. I think my biggest issue is that I try to compete against these players that has several hundred hrs under their belt and I am just starting out. So far it is fun, however I am more into smaller scale pvp so battlegrounds so far is quite okey.

I think the learning curve is much higher than other mmos I´ve played.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Peeps,

Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Hey Peeps,

Thanks for the input,
    My build is Alcasts tank build
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-pvp-build2/

Dk, Breton with Shacklebreaker and werewolf.
    I played 2hrs of Campaign and was engaged in very big fights, which was fun and sometimes when positioning wrong I just got insta dead. Managed tho to stay alive longer with all the defensive abilities. I think my biggest issue is that I try to compete against these players that has several hundred hrs under their belt and I am just starting out. So far it is fun, however I am more into smaller scale pvp so battlegrounds so far is quite okey.

I think the learning curve is much higher than other mmos I´ve played.

The absolute best way to improve open world is to record your gameplay and analyze your mistakes then focus on improvement.

That build is also rather low damage, imo, 7th legion outperforms shackle in every way on this setup, as would Fury and likely Hundings.

Stam DK requires pretty good timing of ultimates as part of a burst combo, this means a lot of fights you have two phases - Burst and Sustain. During the sustain phase you tank damage and manage resources while maintaining pressure from DoTs ocassionally prodding with damage to identify priority targets. Once Leap is ready you Burst phase is ready to begin, it doesn’t necessarily end as soon as you leap/execute because you may be able to keep pressure on another opponent and secure more than 1 kill, just don’t tunnel too hard on kills and always be ready to return to the sustain phase.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on January 14, 2018 7:26PM
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Curious to the viability of a MagDK in PvP. That was the most concrete build I could find, debating to go 7th Legion + Morag Tong is there any other written builds on this?
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious to the viability of a MagDK in PvP. That was the most concrete build I could find, debating to go 7th Legion + Morag Tong is there any other written builds on this?

Mag DK is very good but you can’t use the same setup as a Stam DK. Try something like desert rose and burning spell weave or some other magic damage set.

For OP, I hate to say this but Stam DK is not in a good place right now. There are players who can play it well but it’s received so many nerfs that it’s maybe the hardest class to play well. Stam sorcs and stam DKs sit at the bottom of the pile with no class damage spammable skill, and no burst setup beyond what wpn skill lines give you, so you’re relying all on 2H skills for the most part. At least you still have a decent ultimate. You can go full tank as a DK but you won’t be killing anyone. The build that Alcast has recommend is difficult to kill people with because you need to know how to burst via animation cancelling with a combo of wpn skills and ultimate timing. Not easy. And yes the skill curve in this game is insane, literally. After about a year I find it ridiculously easy to kill most players I come across, can take out groups of 10 on my own on occasion (if they’re not good) and there are still a decent number of players out there who can kick my ass in a under a minute. The skill gaps are massive so try not to get discouraged. But you either have to work really hard to get better or join a large group. Theres not much in between. Hopefully you at least live in the the server country and not half way across the world like some of us!
  • Gulkrim-mur
    Gulkrim-mur
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Peeps,

I suggest roll a new toon and play not cp server and learn. Mechanics and awareness go a long way past the gear and build its self.

Dying is learning my friend good luck
  • frakko
    frakko
    How are Wardens in PvP?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are Wardens in PvP?

I can't speak about MagWardens, haven't played one in PVP, but StamWardens are excellent. They have a lot of class skills that provide burst damage, plus the cliff racer spam from a distance + poison injection is murder on anyone trying to run away from them. Add that to the way they have better options for stamina heals than just Vigor and Stam Wardens are a real jack-of-all-trades, master-of-most in PVP.
  • frakko
    frakko
    Cant really see myself leveling again, I know it is rather quick with training gear etc so I will just see how this progresses and keep on fighting as a sta DK :)
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bazillion hours in PvP. I can offer some tips.

- I advise playing a busy campaign. If you have to choose between a busy cp amd light non-cp, play the busy one. You’ll earn more AP, there’s more opportunity to learn, and you can group up. And honestly, I think cp campaigns help stam dks. But that’s me...I hate non-cp.

- play with a friend, or do small groups. (Or large if you like). As a stam dk it’s going to be tough to get kills. Now as a stam dk walking around with a stealth stamblade nearby...hmm... But playing in a team allows a stam dk to shine. You can root and snare and stun enemies to give allies a chance to bring down hell on their heads.

- turn combat text on. You really want to see your specific damage done...it’ll help you get better at smacking enemies.

- there’d be no shame in also running a ranged build while you learn the ropes...a 2h/bow. It’s a good way to get a little more combat in without necessarily getting slaughtered so fast. If nothing else, bow attacking from a wall to defend a keep can be a good lesson in identifying other builds and learning how to best push past their defenses.

- carry invisible/speed potions. They’ll save your butt sometimes, others you can find hilarious creative uses for them. I mean...enemy on his mount with his npcs all around and you invisible in then wrecking blow plus leap...ha. That never gets old.

- work up your legerdemain to 16 so you can invest in reducing sneak cost. Go to the ships in daggerfall, load up on stolen crap, fence it. It takes like a dozen Times fencing your daily max, but it’s worth the payoff. Speaking of...

- ...sneak more. The DKs usually lumber around. Be a little stealthier and it helps. And use the terrain to your advantage...put rocks and trees between you and enemies. Come up from behind. Think like a nightblade, I guess, lol.

- practice your snares and roots and stuns. They are your friends. As a nb ganker, there are several kinds of stam dks. The ones that scare me aren’t the tanks...they’re the tanky builds who know how to snare me then come in with a lot of hardcore 2h smacks. That can kill me. Sometimes. Not always, I’m slippery.

- longer battle are your friend. Stam dks win if they can drain the enemy of resources. As such, a ravage stam/magic poison can be lethal. Those are actually the scariest dks...they snare and root me AND drain my stamina. Jerks.

And like others say, if all else fails roll a different class. I’m not saying stam dks are bad...I think they’re way fun for PvP if you play to their strengths. But you’re on the low damage / high resist end of the spectrum. It’s possible you might not like that toon in PvP. I love my magplar in pve...totally love it...but I HATE PvP with him.

But the reason I mention other toons is because leveling an alt isn’t as bad as it sounds. Get a character ready by crafting them some willows path or something in training, a set for every ten levels or so. Then when one of the Zos double xp events come along, run them on that buff and psijic and they’ll be vet in about 15 hrs. My friend and I have leveled a dozen each. When there’s an xp event we run them an hour each night, through dolmens and public dungeons. You’ll be surprised how fast they get to vet.
  • frakko
    frakko
    davey1107 wrote: »
    I have a bazillion hours in PvP. I can offer some tips.

Thanks for info.
    Currently I find it really hard, i decided to go bow and shield and onehand just for defense and it made me survive a bit longer but damage output is a joke compared to what they hit on me so I realized (could be wrong) that gear difference is a huge thing.

I have 5 pieces of blue shacklebreaker with imp. I see 5-11k hits on me.

My damage output with bow snipe was max 3k.

As a new player It is really hard getting legendary gear so maybe I just need to accept to do more pve and work for it :) problem was when I was reading alcasts guide was the text You will be hard to kill but I die so fast. Tested 7th legion, still dying fast in bgs. In campaign I was surprised that I managed to stay alive and escape but as you said, im not killing anything.

My damage numberwas 1400 ( I have no clue what is recommended) but donI sacrifice HP for damage to then be oneshotted. Stamina rec is at 1200 buffed so also quite low I think

When I leveled I did bgs and it was fun as hell, i always prefer smaller scale pvp but at max level It is not so much fun.

What I lack is a guide e.g. New player DK sta, go for these weps and gear.

I will roll a warden to play on the side as you said
  • WrathOfTheRipper
    Start off with either a mag sorc or a mag templar. Templar being a bit harder to learn than mag sorc. Mag sorc ez to learn, and ex to get kills with
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Start off with either a mag sorc or a mag templar. Templar being a bit harder to learn than mag sorc. Mag sorc ez to learn, and ex to get kills with

It’s impossible to kill good players alone as a mag sorc man, unless you’re running Duroks, but that build is waaaay advanced
    Edited by Lexxypwns on January 17, 2018 9:00PM