The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Cannot start the game.... directx error

Wrathmane
Wrathmane
✭✭✭
I cannot start the game and I'm getting the following notification.

Your DirectX version is unsupported. Get Help:
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32155

I'm running windows 10 and have directx version 12 which is more than the required version the game requires. My computer also meets and greatly exceeds the minimum requirements and its been running the game for two years now. This error has just appeared yesterday.

Help please.
Sha'ria Wrathmane - Belora Wrathmane - Leora Wrathmane
Former Head of Recruitment for Vokundein
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Please note that while you may have the correct version of DirectX 11 or 12 installed, you will still receive the error "“Your DirectX version is unsupported” if your graphics card is not fully compatible.

To check to see if your graphics card is compatible with ESO:
    1. Click the Windows button to activate the Start Menu.
    2. In the search box, type "dxdiag" and run the program.
    3. Click on the Display tab.
    4. On the right-hand side, look for "DDI version" underneath Drivers. If the number next to DDI version is any less than 11, it means that your graphics hardware does not support DirectX 11 and does not meet the game's minimum requirements.

If you continue to experience issues after updating your DirectX drivers, you should check to ensure that your computer’s hardware and operating system meet the game’s minimum specifications here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there,

I had this problem a few weeks ago and untill recently there was no fix for it. I use a HD3000chip as well as Quadro 1000M (and yes, it does run eso. )
    The support in the german section was very helpfull and I tried alot: - reinstalling launcher; repairing game reinstalling game; trying to reinstall directX; reinstalling the VCdistributable (several times); starting eso with quadro graphic card turbo option; -> all of these resulted in the error message: Your DirectX version is unsupported. Get Help:
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32155

I was able to start and login to eso when I actively deactivated the HD-graphics in my hardware manager. However after login I would get an infinite loading screen.

I have no idea why, but @MysticShadon finally provided a solution that works and on top it boosted my performance in eso (higher FPS; lower latency). No idea why this works, but @ZOS_BillE maybe your technical support team can figure this out:

source thread (acknowldgements to: @MysticShadon who provided this solution): https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/387964/blackscreen-beim-start-absturzmeldung-was-bei-mir-geholfen-hat#latest

rough translation...feel free to rewrite it:
    1) Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client" (or wherever you saved eso)
    2) Click (right mousebutton!) on "eso.exe"
    3) Choose Properties tab and Compatibility
    4.) Activate Resolution 640x480 and disable desktop composition
    5.) Repeat steps 3 and 4 with "eso64.exe"
    6.) Start eso using "eso64.exe"

Adjust resolution ingame using settings.
    Upon next launch you can use the eso-launcher to start eso.

If you use nvidia graphic cards you might need to aditionally add eso to those programs that use the graphic card turbo option. To add eso you need to start your nvidia control panel and add eso manually to the list of programs using the turbo option.

Hope this helps @Wrathmane

edit: Start eso as admin and do not use WLAN.
    Edited by Elsterchen on January 5, 2018 4:05PM
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys,

After fighting swearing and much fist shaking at my computer, I figured out that for some strange reason the computer switched the default graphics card from my nvidia card to the onboard intel card. Once I figured out how to switch it back all was good.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's quite possible that it was a Windows update that caused the graphics card switch, I've seen reports of that before. It's certainly something worth checking each time your Windows 10 gets updated (including to a new version of Windows 10).
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It's quite possible that it was a Windows update that caused the graphics card switch, I've seen reports of that before. It's certainly something worth checking each time your Windows 10 gets updated (including to a new version of Windows 10).

Yes you know what Windows updated again and I'm right back in the same problem.......
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    Please note that while you may have the correct version of DirectX 11 or 12 installed, you will still receive the error "“Your DirectX version is unsupported” if your graphics card is not fully compatible.

To check to see if your graphics card is compatible with ESO:
    1. Click the Windows button to activate the Start Menu.
    2. In the search box, type "dxdiag" and run the program.
    3. Click on the Display tab.
    4. On the right-hand side, look for "DDI version" underneath Drivers. If the number next to DDI version is any less than 11, it means that your graphics hardware does not support DirectX 11 and does not meet the game's minimum requirements.

If you continue to experience issues after updating your DirectX drivers, you should check to ensure that your computer’s hardware and operating system meet the game’s minimum specifications here.

Ok, somehow last time the problem sorted itself out....how is a mystery to me, however yesterday the exact same problem happened, it seems to be linked to a windows update.

My computer (alienware laptop) isn't recognizing the nvidia graphics driver when I launch the game its only using the intel onboard graphics card.

And all the online fixes I can find says to open the Nvidia control panel, which wont open because its saying I'm not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu.

All my drivers are up to date... I can't figure out what is wrong.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would try the following:

1) You can check if your nvidia card is active using the hardware manager.

2) You can set the PhysX of your Nvidia card in the Nvidiacontrolpanel (sry I only know the correct german word: Nvidiasystemsteuerung) <- maybe you need to reasign your nvidia card to eso, too (sometimes all settings are resetted when updating drivers)

Good luck
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    I would try the following:

1) You can check if your nvidia card is active using the hardware manager.

2) You can set the PhysX of your Nvidia card in the Nvidiacontrolpanel (sry I only know the correct german word: Nvidiasystemsteuerung) <- maybe you need to reasign your nvidia card to eso, too (sometimes all settings are resetted when updating drivers)

Good luck

Thanks,

THe device manager says its functioning properly

I can't open the nvidia control panel I get an error message.