Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Returning player trying to get bearings

Beldurax
Beldurax
Jumping LOTRO ship, returning to ESO, but can't remember the meaning of the nomenclature behind "Stamina <class>" or "Mag <class>" ... please expand on meaning and reason behind this usage. Thank you :)
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Well pretty much every class has a stamina/mag version and their additional Tank/Healer versions. Tank is usually stamina and Healer is usually magicka focused, due to the nature and effectiveness of their skills given by classes/weapon skill lines. (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) DPS can be either.

Though magicka builds use staffs and stamina classes use physical weapons like swords/bows for the same reason.

Picking one is your best choice since spending the attribute points into either Mag/Stam/Health will determine the amount of resources you have available, so e.g. spending points in magicka will increase your Magicka pool, thus increasing the amount of Magicka based skills you can use before you run out of Magicka.

Every class has their different skills, but don't be discouraged if they're initially either stamina or magicka, abilities can be morphed once they reach rank IV, for class abilities there is often a stamina and a magicka morph, for weapon skill lines this is not the case.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina <class>: the main source pool for your skills are stamina based.
    Mag <class>: the main source pool for your skill are magicka based.

Each class can be based on either on or both., but most classes favor on or the other.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage of staves, and of skills that require magicka, is calculated using the stats Spell Damage and Maximum Magicka. Damage of all other weapons, and of skills that require stamina, is calculated using the stats Weapon Damage and Maximum Stamina.

Therefore, to optimize your damage potential, as a damage dealer you focus on one of the two resource types, and choose weapons and skills accordingly.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Beldurax
    Beldurax
    What are some strong DPS and Tank combos ?
  • KnightfallZX2
    Does anyone ever put an equal amount of points in to Magicka, Health, and Stamina?
    PSN: KnightfallZX2 | Server: NA
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone ever put an equal amount of points in to Magicka, Health, and Stamina?

No, because it doesn't benefit you at all. There are some hybrid builds, but they're not common.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The question would rather be, "does anyone ever have equal amounts of resources in Magicka, Health and Stamina", since the attribute points you allocate are just one source of resource. :) You get them also through set bonuses, gear enchantments, champion points and the like.

The answer to that question would be: Unlikely for all three resources. PvE tanks often have similar amounts of stamina and magicka, with stamina being 1-2k higher. But they usually have much higher health than stam/mag.

PvE healers and DDs have health around 17-20k, magicka around 40k (or 50+k if pet build with Necropotence) and stam around 10k, if magicka char, or stam around 38k and magicka around 10k if stam char.

PvP builds can have resources that are closer together than PvE ones, e.g. 25+k health, ~32k main resource and ~12k other resource. But having all three identical? Never seen that. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason is not just how many stamina or magic spell you can cast but the more stamina or magic you have the more damage you do with corrilating skills, so you will do *** damage with both of you split them. You can hybrid a tank but it’s still lackluster. It is not only damage but amount you heal is based on that max recourse also
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only situation I can currently think of where I want similar amounts of stamina and magicka is when I level up a new stamina char. For the lack of proper skills/morphs, I use what I have, and that usually involves magicka skills since all class skills are initially magicka.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • KnightfallZX2
    Loc2262 wrote: »

The question would rather be, "does anyone ever have equal amounts of resources in Magicka, Health and Stamina", since the attribute points you allocate are just one source of resource. :) You get them also through set bonuses, gear enchantments, champion points and the like.

The answer to that question would be: Unlikely for all three resources. PvE tanks often have similar amounts of stamina and magicka, with stamina being 1-2k higher. But they usually have much higher health than stam/mag.

PvE healers and DDs have health around 17-20k, magicka around 40k (or 50+k if pet build with Necropotence) and stam around 10k, if magicka char, or stam around 38k and magicka around 10k if stam char.

PvP builds can have resources that are closer together than PvE ones, e.g. 25+k health, ~32k main resource and ~12k other resource. But having all three identical? Never seen that. :)

Makes sense. Thank you!

Would you mind defining "DDs" in this context? And does "char" stand for character? Charisma? I'm still learning the lingo here, sorry.
    PSN: KnightfallZX2 | Server: NA
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well pretty much every class has a stamina/mag version and their additional Tank/Healer versions. Tank is usually stamina and Healer is usually magicka focused, due to the nature and effectiveness of their skills given by classes/weapon skill lines. (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) DPS can be either.

There are two main kinds of Tanks:

Tanks, meaning the damage sponge that holds boss and mob aggro and buffs the group, want a lot of Health, up to a point, then enough Magic and or Stamina to be able to use the skills they use. My tank is 54K Health, 17K Stamina and Magic unbuffed with 32K Resistance Buffed. I use up Stamina and Magic at about the same rate on my tank. But others tend to use more Stamina, but it all depends.

Tanky characters are more characters that have high resistance, somewhat elevated health, but still have a Stamina or Magic Focus as the case may be.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

Makes sense. Thank you!

Would you mind defining "DDs" in this context? And does "char" stand for character? Charisma? I'm still learning the lingo here, sorry.

No worries, MMO lingo can be confusing, it certainly was for me when I started ESO. :)

DD means Damage Dealer. In group dungeons, you usually have three roles, Damage Dealer, Healer and Tank. Char here means character, yep. :) Each role has specific requirements, like tanks need high resistances and health to survive drawing attention from many enemies, especially hard-hitting bosses. Healers need somewhat more health than DDs but much less than tanks, they slot skills and gear sets to heal and provide support (buffs, debuffs, stamina/magicka return etc.). DDs deal damage and are thus specced for maximum damage with the bare minimum survivability to not die immediately should the tank or healer be inconvenienced.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP