The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Can't sleep, cant eat. Weapon armor traits dilemma. Tank? DPS? HEALER? Tank-dps-healer

TheHarshWinter
Hi there. Firstly : Yes I did search the web for days about what traits I should use for each class and each playing style. Now I am completely confused.

Lets jump to conclusions I made(correct me if I am wrong, please):

Real DPS(or DD[damage dealer]) should use Divines trait on all possible pieces. Is this info up to date? Cuz I saw a lot of patch notes where devs actually tried to nerf "7 divines+Theif Mundus stone, aka high critical". Did they? Is it still working for a good damage per second? Nirn-smth trait is out of question right now. Just lets ignore nirn traits right now. Thanks.

Real Tank should use sturdy on everything? But I dont block often. Cut and run tank, ahhaha. Still I dont need sturdy. Infused? Nah, I am bad with glyphs. Reinforced? I think I have a lot of Armor already. Running/dodging trait? Seems legit but what If I want to tank, cuz I am a tank, after all. Critical ressistance? For PVE? NO NO NO NO NO. All no. And all YES. Now this is a brain f... duck.

Tank with any trait is looking bad for me now, wow. Divines for tank? 7 divines + Mundus stone for resistance wont give more than 2 k of resistance. Meaning - almost useless.
Reinforced seems the only so-so trait in this way. But? But I dont know where is a damage reduction cap and how does it works.

Healer: (7 divines again and crit too?)

What about weapon for tank? Do I use sharpened here? Or fortified to get some resistance?

People say resistance means a lot. Does it?

It is 13.12.2017
Just in case someone will read this post later. As devs love to change things, right? Right.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Haha. My, you seem really worried over this :D

Yes, divines is up to date for a dps, possibly(but not necessarily) with infused on big pieces. Crit mundus has been nerfed so now it's either damage(Apprentice for spelldamage iirc) or penetration(Lover for spell penetration), pen better on your own, damage in good group. Weapons-wise I think current BiS is Infused, with Precise not too far away.

For a tank, yes you will want sturdy. You most certainly do NOT want to "cut and run" as a tank in group content in ESO. Most of the damage at this point comes from ground-based dot abilities, and you running will pull the boss right out of them, effectively halving your group's dps. Or more than halving. In fact as a tank you'll want to move the bosses as little as possible - which will definitely include a lot of blocking for some fights. Mundus stone might vary depending on type of tank I'd say.
    I think current BiS tanking weapon trait is Infused with Crusher enchant for nice armor debuff to the enemy. Defending could work too if you're on your own and/or not after group support.

Impen - crit resistance - is 100% useless for PvE and immensely useful in PvP. There're some options for PvP though, you'll def want some Impen at least, but if you wanna PvP tank you'll probably also get Sturdy, if you wanna play one of the dodgeball builds you'll want Well-fitted and if you're a magicka class with near 100% shield uptime you might even go with Divines(since shields don't crit therefore rendering Impenetrable useless...as long as your shield is up).

For healer, basically same as dps - divines, maybe infused on big pieces. Though I'm not sure on current BiS weapon healing trait. Powered? You'll probably want the magicka regeneration stone or something too(Atronach I think). Definitely not crit, crit was never the go-to for a healer.

Resistances - meaning Physical and Spell resistances - cap at something about 33k which is 50% damage mitigation. You can stack beyond that but it won't take the overflow resistance into account(unless there's an armor debuff or something applied to you).

• TheHarshWinter
    SO as a tank - hold RMB and dont move. "For honor!111" style? Meaning Yeah - sturdy. Hm. Why not reinforced? Hum?

Thank you for your answer it simplified thing and calmed me. Except this sturdy. Ppl say I want to have enchantments which reduce blok cost better and with infused, in fact, I can get even better block than with sturdy. Is this a myth? Or I do really can find/craft these glyphs for block reduction and pwer them with infused?

Thanks.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reinforced has its place, but you don't need very much of it (at all) to cap out on a tank.

Anyway, traits from my perspective as a tank.

S Tier:

Sturdy - On any pieces with small enchants (gloves, belt, shoulders, boots)
    Infused - On any pieces with large enchangments (helm, body, pants), as this gives you the most bang for your buck for resources. (which are very important as a tank)

A Tier:

* Large Sturdy, Small Infused - Still strong traits, just not as good as the other way around.
    * Reinforced Large Armor pieces (Helm, Body, Pants, Boots) - Useful to boost up a little more mitigation, you don't want more than one reinforced piece if you can help it.

B tier

* Divines - With atronach you get a small amount of mag recovery (~20) from this. Useful above certain other sets.
    * Nirnhoned - Strictly worse than reinforced on every piece of armor EXCEPT shields.

C Tier

* Well-Fitted : Useful if you need to dodgeroll
    * Invigorating : Grants less regen in your regenerating stat than divines, and health regen is garbage. This needs to be severely buffed to be even remotely considered.
    * Impenetrable : Only useful for PvP. Sturdy is still better for PvP tanking tbh.
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    You were talking about mundus stone??? The Lady gives you between 2752 - 4196 spell and physical resistances. This has been nerfed in the past year.

Your tank build depends on your play style... There are a faction of us who like the "beserker tank" where you have absurd healing and basically can't die

For this just have Orgnum scales, Troll King, The Steed mundus stone and then run a number of different sets depending on what you find interesting:
    Eternal Warrior for those who absolutely abhor dying
    Juggernaught ^

Footman's Fortune - for those who love blocking - also pair with straight up sturdy and be sure to have that defensive stance skill

Green Pact - even more self healing

Hand of Mephala - for those who struggle to bring the enemies to one spot

Knightmare - useful in group dungeons

Mark/Pariah - useful if you don't want to invest in high spell/physical resist.

Permafrost - basically makes you impossible to kill, purely for selfish magicka tanks of course...

Livewire provides your team with a little extra support
    Another note: Infused on armor boosts that armor's capability to boost the enchantment, great for PvE. For instance, if normally I have 800 stam on my armor, with infused, i'd have 880 stam on that piece of armor.

Generally, you don't need Impen or Nirnhoned to be a good tank. Some people say that 32k is the resistance cap, but it could potentially go higher. Generally you don't need more than 32k resistance. with heavy, your resistance is already close to 20k or beyond it.

If you want to have more DPS, look around that Fextralife site I provided a ton of links to. Check out those sets and if you have PTS, try them out.

Magdalina provided the important aspects of being the tank too. Keep a boss taunted (just don't taunt 1 target more than 3 times in 12 seconds, apparently this causes them to become immune to the taunt for a while). Taunt generally lasts 10-14 sec. If you can handle the boss, bring some adds or all to yourself as well, this way you lighten the aggro on your allies and they can focus on DPS/healing.

Reduce block cost is only on your jewelry, This takes away from possible weapon damage or stam/magicka recovery you could use
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Infused is a bad idea on a healer unless you are trying to hybrid. I tried few combinations with this and it always results in lower results.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gan Xing wrote: »

Magdalina provided the important aspects of being the tank too. Keep a boss taunted (just don't taunt 1 target more than 3 times in 12 seconds, apparently this causes them to become immune to the taunt for a while). Taunt generally lasts 10-14 sec. If you can handle the boss, bring some adds or all to yourself as well, this way you lighten the aggro on your allies and they can focus on DPS/healing.

Just wanted to point out this has been removed several patches ago. Currently monsters only become overtaunted if it's 3 taunts from DIFFERENT people within ~10 second timeframe(aka person A taunts->person B taunts->person A taunts again, and all of that during 10 seconds), which really only happens when you're with a potato dps/healer using an ice staff or something.

And yes, OP, you will want reduce block enchantments, however those enchantments can only be put on jewelry and you cannot get infused jewelry soooo ;)
  • TheHarshWinter
    I am always playing with a group of potato dps :D ANyway. Thanks. I almost got that infused is the only option ecpet sturdy. So 1 more time. Immortal tank without enchantments - sturdy. Right?

And @Magdalina I cant craft jewelry. Can I? Only buy? I am a crafter. This is why I am not asking about sets. Will use "Hist" set to generate Ultimate fast.

I am 50 every craft except only 3 traits and I stuck now for days, sigh.

So sturdy as a main trait.
    Edited by TheHarshWinter on December 14, 2017 7:18PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am always playing with a group of potato dps :D ANyway. Thanks. I almost got that infused is the only option ecpet sturdy. So 1 more time. Immortal tank without enchantments - sturdy. Right?

And @Magdalina I cant craft jewelry. Can I? Only buy? I am a crafter. This is why I am not asking about sets. Will use "Hist" set to generate Ultimate fast.

I am 50 every craft except only 3 traits and I stuck now for days, sigh.

So sturdy as a main trait.

Haha just tell them not to use s&b, ice staff or the undaunted ranged taunt ;)

And yes, jewelry is not craftable. You can buy it or farm it in zones/dungeons for the BoP sets.
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Gan Xing wrote: »

Just wanted to point out this has been removed several patches ago. Currently monsters only become overtaunted if it's 3 taunts from DIFFERENT people within ~10 second timeframe(aka person A taunts->person B taunts->person A taunts again, and all of that during 10 seconds), which really only happens when you're with a potato dps/healer using an ice staff or something.

And yes, OP, you will want reduce block enchantments, however those enchantments can only be put on jewelry and you cannot get infused jewelry soooo ;)

Thanks for the update, I didn't see that change
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as Stamina DPS go:

Full DIvines with the Warrior mundus stone

Nirnhoned on the main hand dagger with a poison enchant, Infused on the off-hand dagger with berserker enchant

Nirnhoned or Precise bow with Ravage health poisons IX
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A Magblade tank with frost staff can heal/dps and tank all at once.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The end result is you generally want two sets of armor. 1 for pve & 1 for pvp.
    If you really must attempt the "one set to rule them all". Then you want infused big & divines small. Preferably with 1-3 (I run 2) tri-stat glyphs.
    Remember that divines will buff any mundus so if you use recovery mundus you can cast more skills for longer b/c sustain.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • TheHarshWinter
    What the glyphs should I use? I have a lot of stamina already. DOes it mean I need health? I have problems with mana, as I am DK. Have to use potions and food to balance mana up.
  • WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tanks usually use prismatic defense glyphs as they provide you with all 3 resources, and tanks will be using all 3
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
  • WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also I'd recommend focusing on Magicka recovery. One of the top builds for tanks right now is one shadowrend piece and one chokethorn. That will give you 258 Magicka recovery flat from having those two one pieces. Then the atronach stone for more Magicka recovery, and maybe even one Magicka recovery glyph if you want a little more. DKs benefit from having high Magicka recovery because they can cast earthen heart abilities to restore stamina. Plus, if you have good enough recovery, you can always keep yourself alive with green dragon's blood and obsidian shield. Casting ults restore resources too so you can save up ult for warhorn and restore a significant amount of resources or cast a cheap ult for resources. You should never really have resource problems on a DK if you build it right.

As for food, use tri-stat food or use max health with Magicka recovery or Max health with Magicka recovery and something else.
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The belt and gloves provide much less armour, so using reinforced and infused on then is inefficient. Divines and sturdy are best used on them instead.

For the shield, chest, and to a lesser extent shoulder, legs and feet, reinforced and infused are more efficient. However, divines and sturdy will work just as well.
  • TheHarshWinter
    Never saw tri-stat glyphs. Wtf. How can I craft them? I am a master crafter, soooo