The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What is a 'zerg'?

Elusiin
Elusiin
✭✭✭✭✭
Okay I know this is probably a dumb question, but what is a 'zerg'? :hushed:
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
    Options
  • T4T2FR34K
    T4T2FR34K
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an awesome explanation on here somewhere...to put it simply, its something the other team does but yours doesn't.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The joke answer is "enough to kill me"/"More than in my group" etc etc

The real answer is very dependent on the server, time, location, etc.

I'd argue that taking 15 people to a random resource in Shor at 11 AM is kinda zergy, while taking 24 to a resource in Vivec at 9 PM really isn't.

Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sczergling-rush.jpg
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In ESO term its an huge group of players mostly in PvP but it is also used on dolmen groups.
    It can be an organized group as in an raid group but its mostly use of random pug groups with low coordination and skill who make up for it in numbers.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A zerg is an uncoordinated group of at least 12 people hunting down single targets.
    Smallscale PvP is a coordinated group of at least 3 people focusing single targets.
    Destro train is a coordinated group of at least 6 people rooting and killing multiple or single targets with AoE.

PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me a Zerg is a group of players, more than 4 to 6 in size, that is grouped for a purpose.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in pvp everyone is zerg.
    in pve, i see zerg in pug HoF final boss.
    Options
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »

I like this definition...although not always basic equipment or lower level...using numbers rather than strategy is so true.
    Options
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crowd of folks that run from Dolmen to Dolmen are zerg groups. Rush in, kill, rush out.
    Options
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The origin of the word has been linked so I will merely describe how I feel it is best used in the context of ESO.

A Zerg is a group(as in multiple people nearby, not as in being part of the same party) of players, usually more than the small group size of 4 and with no upper limit, who engage in an activity with only a target/objective as coordination. For instance a large group of 12 players attacking a keep with no leader to direct timing of abilities or pre-discussed plan of attack. Or a group of 8 who merely run into a fight follow the leader style and spam cast their aoe abilities. Being amongst many allies does not necessarily mean you are in a Zerg, but having a severe lack of coordination does.

Do to how flashy ESO abilities are, and how quick combat can be it is easy to see a large group no matter the level of coordination as a Zerg in many situations so it is often used to describe any group in pvp above 4 players. Since we cannot see how enemy teams are grouped it is also very easy to see "PUGs" near a coordinated party and think "Zerg", hence why the word is thrown around so much in zone/whisper/twitch chat/youtube comments/ etc
    Options
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    En Taro Tassadar! Zerg is the natural life form of cyrodiil nowadays, with a few remaining small scale group, and bomblades/gankers
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
    Options
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are the Zerg, resistance is futile. All your XP and AP are belong to us.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Options
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any group, groups, or faction whose entire strategy begins and ends with "bring more people than they have to any engagement".
    Options
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple:
    N +1 = zerg
    Where "N" is the number of players in your group.
    Unless ur 1vXing with friends, then its 2
    Options
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvP the cry "zerg" pretty much is used to cover any amount of players that result in the death of the person crying zerg. I still laugh over the time I was called a zerg when my entire group totaled 3 people while we had an open fight with 2 enemies no one else anywhere close to us.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T4T2FR34K wrote: »

There is an awesome explanation on here somewhere...to put it simply, its something the other team does but yours doesn't.

Lol.
    Options
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to point out the difference between "getting zerged" and an actual zerg. When one gets zerged they are outnumbered. The ratio can vary, sometimes it just depends on how bad you get ran over. 5 can feel like 10 sometimes. The actual zerg, generally in this game, is around 16+ people in a group.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
    Options
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What EP was doing last night 11PM EST XB-NA Vivec. I swear their entire server was at Ales simultaneously.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Zerg" as used in MMO forum whining, is when the other side that just destroyed you had at least one more player than your side did.
    Options
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zergs win campaigns...
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
    Options
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't PvP much, but I usually follow a large group around to capture or defend keeps. Large scale sieges are a lot more fun than 1v1, but I've never been in a group to specifically chase down single targets because it's a waste of time compared to capturing/defending. In fact, sometimes an opposing faction will have a few people to distract/draw us away just to waste our time because they end up being so elusive and hard to kill. I've gotten caught in a couple opposing zergs, but it's usually because I'm alone and not being smart about taking less traveled paths. Safety in numbers!
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
    Options
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mob.

It's also used as a dismissive insult though, much like "scrub" and that doesn't necessarily have a literal, consistent definition. I've known solo PVPers who go out looking to 1vX and get super salty if they get hammered by the X they went looking for, at which point five people "zerged" them. I've also known people who run in ball groups who get very snotty if people call them out for being part of the 40-man ZERG that rolled five defenders, because they're a formal, disciplined, awesome group and obviously above such things.

So, it depends. ;)
    Options
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    A normally leaderless mass with or without an objective.
    Objectives are chosen on the fly by how far they actually get to toward them before being completely obliterated.
    May be a collection of groups, massed.
    Each group has a leader for grouping purposes (and AP)
    Commands are normally textual and hardly ever listened too
    No one has any siege except meat bags and oil.

Too surf a zerg is to follow like a good little bait fish; dart out and do your deeps, run like a girl to the swirl.

Edited by Goshua on December 12, 2017 5:22PM
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zerg = numbers - big numbers - a swarm.

imo, anything more than a 24-man raid in one place = a Zerg. At Primetime, a faction can usually only have 1-2 zergs running at a time - they're just that big.

Often people call organised guild raids or ball-groups of 10-15 a zerg - but they're not. The zerg is usually the 30+ strong mass that they are fighting against.

It comes from the old StarCraft race who's playstyle was to massively outnumber the opposition with poor units - as opposed to other races that generally have smaller numbers of better troops.

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

see AldmeriDominion

jk, it's from the STARCRAFT series
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1421346508067156626.gif
    love is love
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gaming bliss...

giphy.gif
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a screenshot of a zerg.

prpMJAD.jpg

Two of us took the flag, then this group showed up.

And yes one of them is teabagging me.
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Options