The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Access Denied / Play Button not working / 1005 MEGA THREAD

• MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone just mentioned this on one of my posts, I use McAfee too...
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine started working after I disabled real time scanning and my firewall
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    just to echo a few previous posts, after the patch before last the game seemed to delete the eso.exe file, making launching the game impossible! 4... yes 4 repairs and a system restore later the game downloaded the exe file and worked!

Yesterday's patch worked beautifully!! Could it be that ZOS fixed it? Guess next patch will tell...

BTW I use McAffee

• Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do any of you have pending windows updates at all? My problems in patches previous fixed itself after doing a windows update. THis time I had just done a windows update before the patch.
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also had this problem. It all started with Morrowind update (I guess that was the last time eso launcher was updated, and it was not updated since).

I have Windows 10 and when there is a new eso update - the launcher downloads it, and then installs the files but at some point is says:
    "Error 1005 - OSError_AccessDenied"

Restarting the launcher with "run as administrator" Does not fix the problem. But funny thing is that rebooting PC solves the problem - after reboot it either "clicks" and it download the patch normally & installs it or it automatically verifies all game files (repair) and it works. ;)

Also I don't think It is an anti-virus issue. I have 2 computers:

On one 1 machine I have default Windows Defender - the issue with updates exists here.
    On the 2 machine I have Mcafee - the issue with updates exists here as well.
    One of my friends is running G-Data anti-virus and has the same problems with updates.

The only things that are common is that all computers run Windows 10 and all problems started after Morrowind update
    (the anti-viruses listed above were used before Morrowind update as well and there was no issues) .
    And the solution is the same in those 3 cases - restart / reboot PC and run eso launcher again.
  • Moira_Darling
    Moira_Darling
    Soul Shriven
    I had the 1005 error for the first time ever with Monday, November 13ths update.

I immediately searched the forum and found several options to fix the problem and none of them worked.
    It's not McAfee, an admin issue, a Steam issue or any of the things that have been suggested because I had followed all the steps given.

With great frustration I finally hit the repair button only to have the repair stop at 45% and give me the same error code. Interestingly enough, the first error code came while updating on Monday, at 45% completion.

So instead of setting my pc on fire I shut it off and ignored it for 24 hours.

When I turned it on today and opened the launcher, which gave me a Play button, the button did absolutely nothing. Tried to repair and was given a 1005 error immediately.

I will be uninstalling the game next, if it will let me.
    I will most definitely NOT be renewing my ESO membership, which I had greatly enjoyed up to yesterday.

So, now that I am part of "the few", I wonder how long until we are counted as "the many"?
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few days ago I got a new laptop for my wife.

I got all of the W10 updates and setup my AV and updated to latest version.

Downloaded and installed the launcher. Copied the files over from an external drive.

Tested. ESO worked.

Tried again yesterday, same 1005 error.

Deleted Zenimax folder: Failed. ESO64.exe permissions had been altered by OS so that even the administrator could not change (You do not have read permissions to see the permission on the file...blah.. blah..).

Reinstalled. 45GB download later. same 1005 error. So far, my investment in a 2nd morrowind copy is proving to be a bit of dud if we can't play ESO together. :-1:
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Amohn
    Amohn
    ✭✭
    Seriously. *** this ***. Every *** update it's the same. Can't start the *** game. I have played several mmo's and none of them have had start up problems like this game. I love this game and the elder scrolls series but my patience is starting to run really really *** thin.
    Edited by Amohn on November 28, 2017 3:11PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    After a few weeks of suffering this 1005 error with the update I think I have got past it. I patched the game without error today.

I have eso64.exe, eso.exe and the patcher added to the exception list in McAffee real-time scanning
    I have update set to "never" in the patcher options.
    When the game went off-line for patch maintenance this morning I went into the \client folder and renamed eso64.exe.

When the maintenance was complete I opened the patcher. The big button in the bottom right hand corner said "Update". I clicked it. The game patched and then automatically did a verify/repair. When it had finished (about 15 mins for me) I closed the patcher.

Opened the patcher again, clicked "Play" and the game started OK. I've been playing for a couple of hours no problem.

I think my precautions were probably a bit more than is really necessary. Next patch I'm just going to leave eso64.exe were it is, let the patcher run on automatic, and see what happens.

Further to my last post:

Patched for 3.2.10 today. Updated all OK. Game starts and runs fine. No errors. The only precaution I took today was to have exo.exe, eso64.exe and the patcher added into the exception list for McAffee real-time scanning.

Judging from my experience with this 1005 problem, I would say the decisive fix was adding exo.exe, eso64.exe and the patcher into the exception list for McAffee real-time scanning.
    PC EU
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After new patch today, OS error 1005 occurred again. Repair triggered. A few verification and download activities. Missing play button... Closed Launcher. Restarted... Play button returned.

Edited: This was for my desktop. Haven't checked the laptop yet.
    Edited by BenevolentBowd on November 28, 2017 5:12PM
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    No more issues since I uninstalled McAfee. If you're getting error 1005 check your AV, especially McAfee users.
  • TrustedDentist
    TrustedDentist
    Soul Shriven
    I WAS about to thank the dev team for a fix well done...however...same *** different patch. In fairness, the last two weeks have been devoid of issues.

I'm not investing or resubbing in a game that is this unreliable.

If you think that users don't have a voice, talk to EA.
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    I ended up quitting ESO (and cancelling my sub after my last post). Literally the following patch on DCUO I got a very similar error message.

My initial thought was "WHAT THE #$%&!!!!!!" .

Anyway, I googled more fixes for a similar issue and someone mentioned c++.

I went to my control panel and click on add/remove software and click the appropriate c++ version (I believe for dcuo it was 2012) and click repair. Then I reboot and can log in to dcuo.

I am finally updating my ESO files and will see if this works with eso. If so, I will pop back in with an update.
    Edited by Attackfrog on December 1, 2017 1:33AM
    "You can have fun or you can have safety, but you can't have them both"
    -A ten-year-old
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE: I was able to get in tonight, after patching and updating all my ESO files (via ESO launcher) without trouble.

I think repairing my c++ files may have worked(?). We will see as the weeks tic by....

If I have this same problem, I will keep bumping this thread!
    "You can have fun or you can have safety, but you can't have them both"
    -A ten-year-old
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attackfrog wrote: »
    UPDATE: I was able to get in tonight, after patching and updating all my ESO files (via ESO launcher) without trouble.

I think repairing my c++ files may have worked(?). We will see as the weeks tic by....

If I have this same problem, I will keep bumping this thread!

I can confirm I have had sort of an issue with two other games. Not related to mcafee as I turned it off to attempt to fix.
    Ill try this as well and update. However my last patch of the game fixed my issues for some reason or another so I am ok for now and afraid to make a change lol!
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game will not launch after update.
    1. Access Error
    2. Repair
    3. Restarted PC
    4. Clicked Play on Launcher
    5. Play button disappears and reappears. Game does not launch. :-1:
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem appears to be Antivirus related. Several DLL's in the client folder update as 0 bytes. Once they are added to the McAfee exclusion list and I repair, the game runs.
  • TT33
    TT33
    Had this issue a couple of times now after updates (including after today's patch). Think it must be related to file allocation issue, in that if you have played the game and not restarted the computer before the patch is applied file/s are still being held by the PC.

What I did was, once I got the error, restarted PC. Do a Repair. After repair update then downloads and all was fine.
    Edited by TT33 on June 19, 2018 1:14PM
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Also having the same problem. Restarted my PC, now I get error 206 instead. No amount of deleting stuff, fiddling about with settings and restarting the launcher will fix it.
  • wendytakanob16_ESO
    wendytakanob16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the same issue, I cannot get the launcher to work. I've restarted my computer several times, done the repair, deleted ESO off the computer and reinstalled and cannot get the play button to work. PLEASE HELP!!
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    I've got it working by just running the eso.exe thing directly and not involving the launcher. Obviously by "working" I mean unpatched, but it's something.
  • wendytakanob16_ESO
    wendytakanob16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Can you tell me how you did that? I went to the command prompt and it won't allow me. I'm so effing frustrated right now
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Use your File Explorer thingy to navigate to the folder containing the game's various gubbins: it should be something like "[your installation directory]\Zenimax whatevs\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client". Double-click on "eso" and you should be good to go.
  • wendytakanob16_ESO
    wendytakanob16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    OMG That worked!! You are awesome! Thank you so very very VERY much!
  • Sejha
    Sejha
    ✭✭
    You can still access the game by running the 32 bit version of the application after running and finishing a repair in admin mode.
    Give werewolves a taunt. Let us do what we were made for.
  • Valixx
    Valixx
    ✭✭
    I had it happen with the last patch and again today. The last time Repair did nothing and I tried multiple times. After almost reinstalling the game. I just left the launcher up about 10 mins and tried to click the play button again and it was ok. So it is really odd.
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately they've "fixed" it so it's no longer possible to run eso directly without updating. Which doesn't work. :(
  • Valixx
    Valixx
    ✭✭
    What I did last time didn't work. I guess I will start the reinstall before I leave for work since it takes forever to install ESO. And we are apparently being ignored.
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same happened here. Now I accidentally hit the dreadfully awful "repair" button.

Looks like I'll have to reinstall ESO tomorrow. Again.
  • Valixx
    Valixx
    ✭✭
    If you uninstall it wont remove it all. I had to go into safe mode to manually delete all eso off my hard drive.