Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Random Dungeon Event: Tanks, DPS, & Healers, Know Your Taunts

• ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam sorc healer lfg.

It’s ok. I have vigor.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware the Templar and restoring / radiant aura this will taunt / aggro mobs through walls and over hill and dale

I use it a lot hahahahah
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    1 box/1 character/day is a bad idea. I only have 1 main character for dungeon, others are roleplay characters or crafter, with only basic skills unlocked. Now I have to dust them off, staple whatever gear I have on them, and then queue for random normal. I expect a lots of people yelling and kicking me next week. I don't want to be "that guy", but ZOS kind of force me to. I mean... pets, mounts, costumes, and even house from the box. Who would want to miss a chance.

You dont have to do dungeons for the boxes.....the dungeons are for prizes not related to the free scam crates. All you have to do is quest and kill monsters, npcs or bosses. And if its anything like the last crate give away, you get one box PER day, regardless of toon. You will not get 27 boxes per day if you log in with 27 characters.

It's not the free crates event. Random dungeon event is another event

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/10millionstories

Event is live from Nov. 30 at 10 a.m. EST until Dec. 6 at 10 a.m. EST. Complete a random dungeon via the Dungeon Finder – Normal or Veteran mode – to earn a Mysterious Reward Box. This curious cache could contain loads of awesome in-game rewards: consumables, pets, costumes, and even a massive collection of super rare mounts and houses. You can obtain a Mysterious Reward Box once per day per character.

On each day of the event between Nov. 30 and Dec. 6 that you complete a random dungeon via the Dungeon Finder, you will also be granted one bonus entry into the ESO 10 Million Stories Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes"), up to a max of seven (7) bonus entries. See Official Rules below for eligibility and other restrictions.
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on November 26, 2017 5:20PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Situation 1: How do I tell when my tank isn’t taunting?

A few bosses are untauntable. The Cavern Patriarch and the Engine Guardian of Darkshade Caverns II, the final boss of Direfrost Keep, the red phase Dwarven Centurions in Darkshade Caverns I and Volenfell, The Planar Inhibitor (aggro is attached to the pinion), and apparently Quintus in Volenfell. (There may be more that I missed, but those are the ones I’m more familiar with.)

ALL bosses have mechanics that ignore the tank and target other players. Some bosses will target the farthest away player and others will target random players. This keeps all players busy during the fight.

A boss fight where your tank IS holding aggro with a taunt will look like the boss is focused on the tank most of the time. The boss will turn and focus another player(s) with an attack, but then turn its attention back to the tank. If the tank loses taunt briefly, the tank quickly gets the boss back under control.

A boss fight where your tank IS NOT holding aggro with a taunt will look like the boss is focused on players other than the tank for most of the fight. When the boss is all up in the healer’s face or chasing the DPS for most of the fight, the tank is not properly holding taunt (assuming said healer/DPS aren’t using taunts themselves). Remember that the boss will attack players other than the tank periodically normally – this is when the boss is focused on other players for a longer period of time.

Now, if you used a taunt…your tank is trying to taunt and can’t, because you taunted the boss and now the boss is immune. Have fun being the off-tank until your taunt expires in 15 seconds.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Situation 2: How do I tell when a DPS or Healer overrode my taunt?

ALL bosses have mechanics that ignore the tank and target other players. Some bosses will target the farthest away player and others will target random players. This keeps all players busy during the fight. If you have taunt active, the boss should turn back to your tank as soon as the mechanic is over and continue to focus on you.

However, you’ve got a taunt active on the boss. The boss suddenly turns and begins to whale on your healer or a DPS. You taunt, and the boss does not respond even beyond the point when it’s a boss mechanic, perhaps even chasing the healer or DPS. It looks like you’ve lost taunt (except you know you haven’t) and you can’t recapture taunt even while the boss is fighting everyone but you.

When that happens, you can’t retaunt the boss until their taunt wears off, so take a moment to get a good look at that healer or DPS. Are they using an ice staff? Its by far the most common offender. Are they using one hand and shield with the animation for puncture? I’ve seen that one too.

If they aren’t obviously using a taunt, keep an eye out and make sure you are keeping up your own taunts. If they are, I’d recommend letting them know what they are doing. In my experience, most healers and DPS either don’t know or didn’t mean to taunt. If they are doing it for the lulz, then let them deal with the boss and the ire of the other players who now have to deal with the boss running all over the place.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot well... torrementor taunt.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meld777 wrote: »
    DPS & Healers, I hear you now.

But I like weaving Inner Fire. Most OP stuff ever.

You joke, but I've actually seen that posted in chat from a low level dps while I was tanking.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    1 box/1 character/day is a bad idea. I only have 1 main character for dungeon, others are roleplay characters or crafter, with only basic skills unlocked. Now I have to dust them off, staple whatever gear I have on them, and then queue for random normal. I expect a lots of people yelling and kicking me next week. I don't want to be "that guy", but ZOS kind of force me to. I mean... pets, mounts, costumes, and even house from the box. Who would want to miss a chance.

You dont have to do dungeons for the boxes.....the dungeons are for prizes not related to the free scam crates. All you have to do is quest and kill monsters, npcs or bosses. And if its anything like the last crate give away, you get one box PER day, regardless of toon. You will not get 27 boxes per day if you log in with 27 characters.

You are uninformed sir,

You do get 1 per character per day.
  • mwo1480
    mwo1480
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the Random Dungeon Event coming up in 5 days Nov 30th -Dec 6th, this is a handy reminder of which taunts are available in the game. I main a tank and often see players using taunts when they didn't mean to or didn't know it was a taunt. So do us all a favor and review the taunts available in game. Note: All actual taunts in game are single-target.

Taunts:

Puncture, One Handed and Shield skill line.
    Melee Taunt
    Cost: Stamina
    Thrust your weapon with disciplined precision to deal [x] Physical Damage and taunting them to attack you for 15 seconds. Also afflicts enemy with Major Fracture, reducing Physical Resistance by [y] for 12 seconds.
    Morphs: Pierce Armor (provides Major Fracture and Major Breach), Ransack (provides Major Fracture and Major Resolve)

Inner Fire, Undaunted skill line
    Ranged Taunt
    Cost: Magicka, can morph to Stamina
    Ignite the fires of hate in an enemy's heart, dealing [x] Magic Damage and forcing them to attack you for 15 seconds. Grants a 15% chance that allies targeting this enemy can activate the Radiate synergy, dealing [y] Magic Damage to a target enemy over 2 seconds, and then causing the target to explode for [z] Magic Damage to all nearby enemies
    Morphs: Inner Rage (magicka + increased synergy chance), Inner Beast (stamina, reduced cost, scales with max stamina and weapon damage)

Frost Staff Heavy Attack with Tri-Focus, Destruction Staff Passive
    Ranged Taunt
    Cost: None
    Tri Focus I: Gain bonus effects based on your staff type: Fully-charged Flame Heavy Attacks deal 6% additional damage. Shock Heavy Attacks damage nearby enemies for 50% of the damage done. Fully-charged Frost Heavy Attacks taunt the enemy to attack you for 15 seconds and grant a damage shield that absorbs 350 damage. While a Frost Staff is equipped, blocking costs Magicka instead of Stamina.
    Tri Focus II: Gain bonus effects based on your staff type: Fully-charged Flame Heavy Attacks deal 12% additional damage. Shock Heavy Attacks damage nearby enemies for 100% of the damage done. Fully-charged Frost Heavy Attacks taunt the enemy to attack you for 15 seconds and grant a damage shield that absorbs 699 damage. While a Frost Staff is equipped, blocking costs Magicka instead of Stamina.

Tormentor Set, dropped gear set from Banished Cells
    Ranged/Melee Taunt
    (5 items) When you deal damage with a Charge ability, you gain 3642 Physical and Spell Resistance and taunt the enemy to attack you for 15 seconds.
    Issues: if the charge ability has an aoe effect, the taunt is only applied to the primary target.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Tormentor+Set
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/239450/charge-abilities-tormentor-set

Honorable Mention
    Clannfear, Sorcerer skill
    I can’t find any information on whether or not this pet actually has a taunt for certain. According to semi-recent threads, it’s pretty reliable at picking up aggro when soloing, but shouldn’t be able to override or interfere with a tank who is taunting properly. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/314397/clannfear-not-holding-aggro-anymore

So why does this matter?
    Tanks, you should be using a taunt. DPS & Healers, you should NOT be using a taunt.

Tanks, I hear you now. But I don’t wanna slot a taunt!!!
    Buck up, buttercup! Slot a taunt. Your amazing DPS isn’t going to keep the boss focused on you. Your taunt is. Oh, and as long as you are the only one taunting the boss, you can’t overtaunt. So taunt away! If you have to imagine that your taunt is actually you screaming insults at the boss when you use the taunt, go for it. My go-to tanking phrase is yelling at the boss “Pay attention to ME!”

DPS & Healers, I hear you now. But I wanna puncture/inner fire/frost staff heavy attack/tormentor charge attack!!!
    Don’t. Please don’t. Why? See, if more than one person taunts the boss, the boss gets a period of taunt immunity. So while your tank would very much like to re-taunt the boss to keep him from smashing you into paste, your tank can’t, because you taunted the boss. You taunt it, you tank it. So don’t use a taunt.

Tanks, know your taunts and use them appropriately.
    DPS & Healers, know the taunts and don’t use them.
    Remember, if you taunt it, you tank it. Taunt like you mean it.

thanks for the info, will totally taunt with my healer now
    eu/pc
    every char has a story

anne-susan ...breton sorch DC
    seline kay .... bosmer dk AD
    julia-noor ...bosmer temp DC
    elle wolf .... breton temp AD
    Mari-Lynn.... woodelf nb AD former empress
    Mari-chan... woodelf warden AD
    (and more chars)
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    I can’t find any information on whether or not this pet actually has a taunt for certain. According to semi-recent threads, it’s pretty reliable at picking up aggro when soloing, but shouldn’t be able to override or interfere with a tank who is taunting properly. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/314397/clannfear-not-holding-aggro-anymore

It doesn't taunt. It's good at taking aggro, but quite often if you damage the enemy before unstable clanfear can move close to it, the aggro will be on you. If you just walk to the enemy, it might turn/walk to you, but if you let the clanfear come, the enemy will shift attention to cleanfear most of the time. I don't know exact mechanics, but it's neither taunt, nor behaves like a player/npc (it doesn't work that way if you try the same with other pleyer). It pretty much never works with more than one enemy.

I've never seen pets interfering with my taunts. The only time these are annoying in dungeons is the initial aggro/stacking and using chains on ranged enemies (for obvious reason mobs might become immune).
    Edited by tommalmm on November 30, 2017 2:22PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    You forgot well... torrementor taunt.

Do review the list of taunts and you will see the Tormentor set on there.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tommalmm wrote: »

It doesn't taunt. It's good at taking aggro, but quite often if you damage the enemy before unstable clanfear can move close to it, the aggro will be on you. If you just walk to the enemy, it might turn/walk to you, but if you let the clanfear come, the enemy will shift attention to cleanfear most of the time. I don't know exact mechanics, but it's neither taunt, nor behaves like a player/npc (it doesn't work that way if you try the same with other pleyer). It pretty much never works with more than one enemy.

I've never seen pets interfering with my taunts. The only time these are annoying in dungeons is the initial aggro/stacking and using chains on ranged enemies (for obvious reason mobs might become immune).

This is more or less what I found. However, I put it on the list as an honorable mention because I do see people complaining about the clannfear whenever taunting comes up. So it doesn't taunt, but I had to mention it or someone else was going to.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It makes me somewhat sad that this is even necessary, but good guide though! :D
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do I receive the crate after the event?

I did the random dungeon and didn’t receive the reward. Only XP.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nic727 wrote: »

When you queue up for your random dungeon, you should see whether you get blue regular XP rewards or the purple Premium XP reward + a golden box. You'll get the reward box with your Premium Random Dungeon, basically the first dungoen you do in a 20 hour period and the box will come in the Premium Undaunted Rewards Mail that you'll get in your mail after you kill the final dungeon boss.
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nic727 wrote: »

When you queue up for your random dungeon, you should see whether you get blue regular XP rewards or the purple Premium XP reward + a golden box. You'll get the reward box with your Premium Random Dungeon, basically the first dungoen you do in a 20 hour period and the box will come in the Premium Undaunted Rewards Mail that you'll get in your mail after you kill the final dungeon boss.

Ok reward is in a mail?

Didn’t check this section of the game. Thx