The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Clannfear not holding aggro anymore?

Tapio75
Tapio75
✭✭✭✭✭
Its been couple of years since i last played a pet sorcerer at all, back then it felt that Clannfear and the singingbird held the agro quite well even in groups.

Right now they dont keep aggro of group at all, they can sometimes hold one target but thats it. Even battles with just one opponent end sometimes it agroing me instead of my Clannfear.

Is this thing broken? Changed? What?

I would really like some more tools for the pets, keybinfd to command them attack is good but some kind of action bar thingy where one can see what happens plus health bar for pet would be welcome too. I dont know why i added this rant here, oh well.. :D
>>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Works fine for me. Find most enemy npc, including bosses go after my Clannfear first. So much so, often they do not target me until Clannfear is dead.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes me some tactics to ensure the clannfear draws aggro. If I command him to attack first and wait until he has at least gained the attention of our foe, then I can open up and he’ll hold aggro. If I launch an attack first, the foe will often focus on me and run right past the clannfear to get to me. The solution there has been to encase the foe to root him long enough for the clannfear to get teeth and tail into the foe. Then the foe focuses on the clannfear just fine.

I join you in wishing there was a hp bar for the clannfear (like any other ally) so you didn’t over or under heal him or have him evaporate when not expecting it.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem here really seems to be on my part. That every time i command my pet to attack a group of 2 to 4, the moment the clannfear reaches the first target, the other enemies run straight back at me even while i do no action to get attention from clannfear. Then i have to manually tell clannfear to attack each enemy separately until it has agroed them all.

It fells like the tailsweep is not working at all.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets in this game are god awful.

Clunky to non-existent / non-intuitive controls, terrible AI, no pet frame to keep up with pet HP, sometimes end up with multiples pets when summoning while lagging.

I see a number of changes in sorcs next patch that seem to want to push more players to use the pets - but I don't see anything to help players manage their pets in such a way as to make them useful beyond lower level players.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I join you in wishing there was a hp bar for the clannfear (like any other ally) so you didn’t over or under heal him or have him evaporate when not expecting it.

...there is. It's in the nameplates section. It'll pop a health bar up over him. You can even configure it to determine when it shows up.
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, i hope at least, that they hold aggro a bit better next patch. After litle experimenting, i found out that if i unsummon the Winged twilight, the clannfear actually holds aggro much better but still it very easily loses an aggro to me.

Something has changed in last year since year or so ago, i had no difficulty whatsoever to keep aggro on Clannfear.

The thing is apparently ment to be a tank pet, yes it holds bosses and one enemy but there should be more aoe, the thing really needs longer tail so to speak..

If i wish to keep both pets, i still need cc ability like encase on the bar. That leafves me with only 2 real spells on my bar.

i think the cklannfear heal ability is kind of sweet, but i would rather have it as some sort of aggro ability or that each heal wouyld generate massive aggro on the pet though this could be a problem on the group.

And yes, a proper pet interface is required as well. I hope that if that Warden class with more pets comes along, they implement some better pet control to the game.
    Edited by Tapio75 on January 16, 2017 11:55PM
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I command him to attack first
    Command him?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commanding your clannfear (and/or twilight) to attack a foe:

In controls > combat there is a command called 'Command Pet'. Default key for this is Y but you can remap it. When you have a target in range, hold down that key while you activate your light attack control. Rather than doing a light attack, your pet(s) will attack the foe you selected.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »
    Command him?

On PC, there is a keybind for "Command pet" in the controls section of settings.

• Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »
    Command him?

They really do a very poor job in the game of highlighting this: Y + left click while aiming at a target to attack and Y + right click to recall.

But at any rate... its ability to hold aggro on more than one mob has always been suspect. It's no different than it used to be.

The way I think of it the main reason it deserves a slot on your bars is the good heal it provides. Any tanking it does is just a bonus. I certainly wouldn't choose a play style based on its tanking ability.
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one requires his Clannfear to keep ene,mies interested on him. Jo´Rava thinks it is undignified to run from enemies so enemies should not chase Khajit!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tapio75

The clanfear will still hold some agro but Zos removed the taunt almost 2 years ago. The taunts from Sorc pets were overriding a players taunt and when the pet died the target went strait for the Sorc.

Instead of prioritizing the taunts they just removed pet taunts.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clannfear stlll taunts but it no longer overrides a player taunt. Your Twilight often takes aggro at the start of fights as her damage registers prior to the Clannfear taunt ( the Twilights attack is ranged while the Clannfears taunt is melee.)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    Clannfear stlll taunts but it no longer overrides a player taunt. Your Twilight often takes aggro at the start of fights as her damage registers prior to the Clannfear taunt ( the Twilights attack is ranged while the Clannfears taunt is melee.)

I have not heard they added the taunt back into game. When did they do this? Since they stated specifically when they removed it I expect they would do the same when they added it back.
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, its all a big mess, one going after clannfear, one after twilight, one after me and the rest cant decide. This is how the aggro control feels.

Removing pet aggro was clearly a big bad move from ZOS if it really happened. This is why WOW for example, has small buttons where you can take growl off in group situations for example.. Besidess... I think the enemy is SUPPOSED to go after player when clannfear dies, right?

I think the heal ability on clannfear should also AOE taunt when used, that way there woukld be at least some more control over the pet and how it taunts enemies.

Ehrtr does this heal comes from anyway? Why it is connected to conjuration ability? Makes no sense to me having a clearly restoration ability tied to conjuration and conjured daedra. Would make more sense if you would sacrifice pets health to heal yourself.

PS: I only remember them taking taunt away from the Storm atronach. As far as i know, they never intended to take taunt away from the clannfear. It still hjas and always had its tailsweep which seems to be the taunt ability, not that it wworks very well right noww.
    Edited by Tapio75 on January 17, 2017 4:19PM
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I compare my favorite pet class from 15 years ago, the mini in DAOC, to ESO's pet class, I cry myself to sleep.

How could we have gone so far backwards in the last 15 years?