Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pvp Templar. Magica or stamina?

VonNelson
VonNelson
✭✭✭
Help me resolve an identity crisis. What makes the better Templar in cyrodil? Magica or stamina? Light heavy or medium?
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, no trolling intended, but i seriously believe the potential of either depends on the potential of the person sitting in front of the screen. That said, both can be awesome.
  • DosPanchos
    DosPanchos
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have to experiment with both to see what you like. Most likely, you'll want HA for either one in the current meta.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka go light for sure.

Stamplar needs medium bc sustain is awful
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While Stam is a great choice, you get a lot more options with magicka
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been running stamina the last few weeks and have been pretty successful with it. I'm not 1vXing with it but in group play it's outstanding.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar is just easier to pickup, stamplar is decent just not the easier pickup between the two.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stamplar, 7 heavy, SnB and lightening staff...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

Why Lightning staff?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably to buff jabs or exploit off balance but could be trolling
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Outside of heal bots, I think stamplar is objectively better. However, adding a magplar healer is a game changer for groups.

Both are at or near top tier in all areas of pvp imo
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magplar is top for utility in groups, providing best healing, purges, shards etc, but bottom for solo PvP not having the best damage/burst, and nearly no cc. Defense wise purge is decent, but have to rely on heals.

Stamplar is middle of the road generally, but can be very good if played well, solid damage and defense, sustain a bit shakey but still good. OK utility, but generally just purge and potl.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭

Why Lightning staff?

Yeah - this ^

Ok so gonna go stamplar but next question is medium or heavy- and if heavy what sets (I’ve loads of med)
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VonNelson wrote: »

Why Lightning staff?

Yeah - this ^

Ok so gonna go stamplar but next question is medium or heavy- and if heavy what sets (I’ve loads of med)

I use 2 set ups for mine. I'm sure there are better combinations out there but this is what works for me. If I'm in a small group I run 5 Hundings Rage, 5 Spriggans and 2 Selene's. 2 heavy ( chest and legs ) and 5 medium. If I'm in a larger group (more than 6-8) I run 5 Bone Pirate, 5 Spriggans and 2 Selene's. 5 medium, 1 light and 1 heavy.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a Templar gal all the way and I have to say I really like them both. Solution? Make one of each like I did!
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar is really nice and is quietly one of the best PvP classes but I just do better with magicka myself.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A solid setup is ravager+bone pirate+bloodspawn/skoria. Heigh damage, good sustain, solid defense through heavy.

Heard good things about @Waffennacht's build too.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why Lightning staff?

easiest of the staves, other than resto, to connect on heavy attacks, which on this bar I need to sustain my magicka for breath of life, vampire' s bane, and radiant oppression (also have slotted power of the light, unstoppable and dawnbreaker of smiting)...

being mostly stamina (with a large dash of health thrown in), needed to figure out a way to sustain and make radiant oppression (still a great ranged execute even with the nerfs and on a stamina type character) fairly effective...

plus my stam dk already uses SnB and a bow...it's a challenge to set up 10 characters and try to be diverse as possible in their weapon choices and rotations...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do love to troll, but, not when it comes to builds...

granted some of my set ups might be a bit goofy, but, for the most part - they're pretty effective in cyrodiil...

it's funny, I've gone from weird, quirky builds to standard meta-type builds back now to more quirky builds...

my stamplar wears 2pc maw of the infernal (easy to proc and looks absolutely awesome alongside the werewolf), 5 pc wyrd tree, 4 pc plague doctor (5 pc on SnB, where ww is slotted)...

he's an orc and a ton of fun to play in cyrodiil...

needless to say, not a huge damage dealer (except in ww form), but, very durable and comfortable from range or in a melee scrap...
    Edited by geonsocal on November 27, 2017 6:17AM
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I have a magplar for dungeons etc. Not much fun in cyrodil though. Always get taken out fast.
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭

Why Lightning staff?

easiest of the staves, other than resto, to connect on heavy attacks, which on this bar I need to sustain my magicka for breath of life, vampire' s bane, and radiant oppression (also have slotted power of the light, unstoppable and dawnbreaker of smiting)...

being mostly stamina (with a large dash of health thrown in), needed to figure out a way to sustain and make radiant oppression (still a great ranged execute even with the nerfs and on a stamina type character) fairly effective...

plus my stam dk already uses SnB and a bow...it's a challenge to set up 10 characters and try to be diverse as possible in their weapon choices and rotations...

This sounds interesting- I kind of thought radiant oppression would have fallen a bit flat on a stam build. - thanks :)
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    What weapon setup do you all use?
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A well-built Stamplar is a brutal killing machine, in my experience. A Magplar, on the other hand, can be easily countered with a shield stack. I love being attacked by Magplars because they refill my Magicka!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why Lightning staff?

You're a stamina templar with points in health, using BOL and Vampire's Bane? And you're trying to use the most underperforming execute in the game?

You do you man, but please stop misleading new players into thinking stuff like this can work.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

Why Lightning staff?

You're a stamina templar with points in health, using BOL and Vampire's Bane? And you're trying to use the most underperforming execute in the game?

You do you man, but please stop misleading new players into thinking stuff like this can work.

Hmm. I was of the thought to just let it go when I saw this but you’re kind of right about not wanting to mislead new players. But now that that’s out there, to each their own
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why Lightning staff?

This sounds interesting- I kind of thought radiant oppression would have fallen a bit flat on a stam build. - thanks :)

read through some of your other posts - sounds like you're pretty familiar with the different classes, gear and pve stuff...you're gonna have a blast in pvp...

the tooltip only lists it as doing 6k damage (which is halved in cyrodiil)...power of light helps debuff the target a bit, vampire's bane buffs your crit a bit...you have the potential for 3.3x damage against targets below 50% health if you can keep your magicka up...then it's c'mon rng :p

yes, indeed - the "approved" solution for a stamplar would most definitely not be using a stave...particularly if you are going to be trying to 1v1 or 1vX folks - however, if you think you might enjoy some zerg surfing (which turns out to be a good bit of what cyrodiil is all about), it's easy peasy...

but, as @casparian so astutely pointed out - i might be leading you down a path of death and destruction (your own :))...

in the end though - always good to try out a variety of skills and armor set ups to you find the one that supplements your particular play style the best...

for myself the most challenging part of pvp is remembering to roll dodge and block, resource management, and timing executes...

at this point i'm getting ready to try out the broom and bucket (with little else) in cyro...just to see...

rather than copying someone else's build though - if you haven't already - spend some time familiarizing yourself with the templar's skills: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Templar and the different armor sets available: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets ....not sure why - but, i love reading that stuff...

true - it's important to optimize your characters build, but, there's still a whole lot of leeway to incorporate "fun" in to your build...even as much as zos has stepped on it - the jesus beam is still "fun"...then again, i also like to use the javelin on my stamplar from time to time - just to watch folks fly :)

have fun @VonNelson ...
    Edited by geonsocal on November 27, 2017 6:38PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why Lightning staff?

It does fall flat, and the high magicka cost relative to your typical magicka pool as a stamplar (10-14k) makes it very difficult to justify if you're already using magicka for ritual. You'll get much higher execute damage with the 2h execute. Hell even steel tornado (dual wield) or poison injection would be more desirable.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭

Why Lightning staff?

read through some of your other posts - sounds like you're pretty familiar with the different classes, gear and pve stuff...you're gonna have a blast in pvp...

the tooltip only lists it as doing 6k damage (which is halved in cyrodiil)...power of light helps debuff the target a bit, vampire's bane buffs your crit a bit...you have the potential for 3.3x damage against targets below 50% health if you can keep your magicka up...then it's c'mon rng :p

yes, indeed - the "approved" solution for a stamplar would most definitely not be using a stave...particularly if you are going to be trying to 1v1 or 1vX folks - however, if you think you might enjoy some zerg surfing (which turns out to be a good bit of what cyrodiil is all about), it's easy peasy...

but, as @casparian so astutely pointed out - i might be leading you down a path of death and destruction (your own :))...

in the end though - always good to try out a variety of skills and armor set ups to you find the one that supplements your particular play style the best...

for myself the most challenging part of pvp is remembering to roll dodge and block, resource management, and timing executes...

at this point i'm getting ready to try out the broom and bucket (with little else) in cyro...just to see...

rather than copying someone else's build though - if you haven't already - spend some time familiarizing yourself with the templar's skills: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Templar and the different armor sets available: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets ....not sure why - but, i love reading that stuff...

true - it's important to optimize your characters build, but, there's still a whole lot of leeway to incorporate "fun" in to your build...even as much as zos has stepped on it - the jesus beam is still "fun"...then again, i also like to use the javelin on my stamplar from time to time - just to watch folks fly :)

have fun @VonNelson ...

Yes I am excessively fond of the javelin. Really wish I had been able to experience the Jesus beam in all its epic glory but tbf that would probably have meant me being on the receiving end.

So the respec is done. Now to take it for a spin!
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you have sone folks to ride with, or, are you going solo?

how many characters do you have now?

once you get the hang a bit with pvp and your fresh new stamplar, hopefully you can try cyrodiil out with some of your other characters...

each class, and weapon type have some epic moves and fun animations to play with...

let me know the first time you get a chance to knock someone off a wall during a siege :)
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    @geonsocal I’ve only got the one for cyrodil atm. I’ve a stamblade , a warden and a couple of dragonknights I might consider for cyrodil in the future but they’re all low levels atm. I’ve not reached cp max yet so I want to do that before I start levelling any more alts although I’ve got serious plans for my khajiit. Any character class that can do 50k of damage at lvl 12 has seriously got my attention!!

Unfortunately I’ve still a lot of tweaking to do on my stamplar. Not sure if I’m doing any more damage with this version than the magica version but I will get there. Like you said I need to experiment and see what clicks for me. I’m usually running round by myself so need to be effective
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Last one... with Ancient knowledge passive