Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell Wall Ultimate

Hawco10
Hawco10
✭✭✭✭
Hi guys,
I wanted to try it out and see what it’s like. I popped it and still took a bunch of damage while blocking. I thought it’s meant to block damage while active ? I’m holding block as usual so can’t understand why I’m taking a bunch of damage
Edited by Hawco10 on November 27, 2017 3:09AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocking reduces the damage you take, it doesn't eliminate it. The Spell Wall morph will reflect projectiles, very handy against some boss ranged attacks, but it won't reflect the big channeled attacks. The main benefit of the ultimate is to let you block with no cost, protecting your resources and letting you regenerate resources.

Are you using it in PVE or PVP? It's probably less useful in PVE since you have plenty of ways to mitigate damage, regain resources, and high resistances vs bosses anyway if you are a tank. Its much more useful in PVP, but again, the value is in reflecting ranged projectiles and giving you a window to block without cost. You'll need to use that window to regen your resources so you can continue fighting and blocking damage.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-and-list-of-options/p1

Spell Wall will block attacks for you while active, giving you the 50% damage mitigation and any block damage reduction passives, you can do this while heavy attacking and using Channels, something you would not otherwise be able to do while blocking. This combined with its reflection of projectiles makes it a very useful ultimate.
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. So basically, I hold block and get some heavy attcks in while it’s still up ? I’ll be going back into pvp to try it again with the heavy attacks. And a guy using a 2h sword can still damage me right ? It’s just the spells it blocks ?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawco10 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. So basically, I hold block and get some heavy attcks in while it’s still up ? I’ll be going back into pvp to try it again with the heavy attacks. And a guy using a 2h sword can still damage me right ? It’s just the spells it blocks ?

Correct, though it will only block ranged projectiles, so a ground-based AOE spell like Wall of Elements will still damage you but a ranged spell like Flame Reach will be reflected.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hawco10 wrote: »

Everything can still damage you. "Block" doesn't mean "reduce all attacks to zero damage". You will take reduced damage from all attacks and reflect projectiles (projectiles = ranged magicka attacks and bow attacks).
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, just tried it out. Blocked, popped the ultimate and got a few heavy attacks off without taking too much damage. Managed to get quite a bit of stamina back. So switched to 2h sword and started swinging.
    Thanks again.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Glad that's working how you want it to.