Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tank race/class

Ibibi
Ibibi
✭✭
Hey guys.Im starting to think about going tank mainly.I would like to do offc. dungeons mainly and trials.But im thinking also in the future to do PVP .What is the best race and class combo for that.I dont want to switch my race midgame.Thank you
Khajiit 4eva
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you want to do a stamina or magicka based tank? That's the biggest determinant for race. If magicka, you'll probably look at a Dunmer (if MagDK for the fire bonuses) or an Altmer. If Stamina, Imperial, Orc, or Redguard are all solid choices. If you don't have the All Races All Alliances pack, just pick whichever race from you alliance best fits your choice of stamina or magicka.

You can do content with both types of tanks. I main a MagDK tank for normal and veteran dungeons.

For classes, Dragonknights are the stereotypical tanky class. Warden tanks are very effective with their self-healing. I've seen highly effective nightblade, templar, and sorcerer tanks, but they are less common.
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial Dragonknight to be more tanky. Argoninan Dragonknight to be more support focused.
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • Ibibi
    Ibibi
    ✭✭
    Do you want to do a stamina or magicka based tank? That's the biggest determinant for race. If magicka, you'll probably look at a Dunmer (if MagDK for the fire bonuses) or an Altmer. If Stamina, Imperial, Orc, or Redguard are all solid choices. If you don't have the All Races All Alliances pack, just pick whichever race from you alliance best fits your choice of stamina or magicka.

You can do content with both types of tanks. I main a MagDK tank for normal and veteran dungeons.

For classes, Dragonknights are the stereotypical tanky class. Warden tanks are very effective with their self-healing. I've seen highly effective nightblade, templar, and sorcerer tanks, but they are less common.

Im thinking of going Imperial or Argonian.Dont know
    Khajiit 4eva
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My DK Tank 54K Health 17K Magic and 17K Stamina is an Imperial. I can run him magic or stamina as needed.

Hist Bark/Plague Doctor/Bloodspawn Tri Glyphs. Pretty simple build really. I have a set of Ebon Gear but I am not convinced that the 1200 Health Buff to the group is all that important.

Anyway, if your thinking about being a tank, then you need to spend some time here:

https://woeler.eu/

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't tank but Argonian is commonly thought of as the superior tank race for PvE because of the Resourceful passive which gives them very strong resource management.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Ibibi
    Ibibi
    ✭✭
    Well then i should pick Argonian.I thought about Imperial cause i have the money to buy the upgrade for imperial race but then its not needed i guess.Im just thinking that leveling as argonian tank is slow pacing but as imperial i can stay dd until i get to CP etc.
    Khajiit 4eva
  • pepe1337
    pepe1337
    ✭✭
    My Dunmer pve tank has been doing great, the fire resistance makes the difference, however it would really depend on the type of content your doing.
  • PerArdua
    PerArdua
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t know much about pvp tanking but do know you ll need to change cp sets etc to swap between pvp n pve tho it is funny watch 5 enemies wailing on a pve tank but you do no damage .
    As for pve the above set up is fine for dungeons both vet n hm vet . If you plan on tanking trials you need to be more support based . Most important things are hitting resistance cap (33k) and resources management . Argonian dk health stacked tank is great for that . Tho remember to have Stam higher than msg pool if you want Stam back from shards or orbs
    As stated before look at woeblers site he’s a great tank and theory crafter .
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if I'm swtiching between PVP and PVE, I leave my CP set for PVP (though I don't tank trials, so that might be different). Which works fine even though in PVP I play a light armored healer and in PVE I'm a heavy armor tank.
  • Ibibi
    Ibibi
    ✭✭
    Well my wife plays a Dunmer Healplar mainly .We love doing stuff together.So i guess a offtanky race would be cool also.Argonians in Woeler i saw in offtank are nr.1 in both but im also concerned for damage dealing.Imperials i see are nr 2 but they can switch to damage dealing.Dont know.Sorry for annoying with this simple thing.So still for me its argonian vs imperial.
    Khajiit 4eva
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK/ Argonian. BiS all around.

Argonians are considered BiS since Morrowind for a tank with either a mag or stam focus. Good max health and best regen of any class in the game. Also, increased healing received and given (you do heal yourself some). There are decent classes as a second choice.

DKs have good utility and resource management.
  • RustedValor
    RustedValor
    ✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with Imperial, hell you can even pull off Magicka as an Imperial, not optima for DPS but the Max health and Stamina bonus lets you dump everything into max Magicka and have plenty of HP and stamina for break free and dodge which will save you often. My Imperial Templar can Tank, Heal, and DPS any content in the game well just by changing gear and respec Champion points. Works great with Vamp or WW.
  • Ibibi
    Ibibi
    ✭✭
    Then i guess Argonian isnt the best if i want to switch PVP in the future with my char.Imperial would be a big better,or orc or nord?
    Khajiit 4eva