Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I have some questions about gameplay!!

QueenKymil
QueenKymil
Soul Shriven
Hello! So I have been playing for about a month now, I'm at level 39, and I am a Redguard in the Daggerfall alliance. I have ESO Morrowind

So here are my questions...

*What are the different types of characters, like tanks and such. I've seen a lot of chat messages for people looking for tanks, and I didn't know what they meant.
*Are you supposed to do the quest for the other alliances? There was a quest where the Ebonheart Pact wanted me to clear out the Daggerfall guards in their city, but I feel like I shouldn't do those.
*How do I upgrade my weapons? When I go to the blacksmithing stations and go to improvement, I never had the material needed to upgrade them and I don't know how to get them.

Thanks in advance!

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Types of players: For Group Finder, players fill one or more of three roles: tank, healer, and dps. A tank holds the attention of the boss with a taunt so that the boss focuses its heavy attacks against the tank, who like an army tank also has the greatest amount of health and armor in the group. A healer heals and supports the group with different buffs, making the group stronger and keeping them alive. Most groups have 2 DPS, (damage per second) whose job it is to deal damage and do most of the killing. Now, this is a pretty simple description of the roles, but those are the basics.

Alliances: You can quest in all three alliances with no repercussions. This is because before the One Tamriel update, you would have completed your faction's questline, and then proceeded on to the other two questlines after you finished the main questline and made yourself a hero. Its slightly more complicated than that, but that's the gist. One Tamriel opened up all the zones to be completed in any order. So you can do any quests you want, even those that seem like you'd be picking sides between the alliances. So feel free to clear out those Daggerfall guards - the Pact needs all the help it can get and the Covenant won't hold it against you.

Improving Weapons: Blacksmithing, clothing, and woodworking all have materials for improving their stuff in green, blue, purple, and gold tiers. You can buy those materials from guild stores or you can get them by refining raw materials that you harvest. You can put skill points into a crafting passive to get an increased chance of refining higher tier items.

Hope that helps!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varanis summed it up very nicely. :)

In addition, since One Tamriel, the alliance separation more or less only plays a role in PVP (Alliance War in Cyrodiil, or Battlegrounds). Before that update, players could only travel to zones of their own alliance, or once they reached champion level, to special instanced and scaled versions of the other alliances' zones.

Materials to improve items you can also get, with a certain probability, when deconstructing items you don't need. Before you reach champion level 160 though it's not really necessary to improve items past blue. Make them purple at the most. Yellow tempers are rare and expensive. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • QueenKymil
    QueenKymil
    Soul Shriven
    You guys are awesome thanks so much!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me expand a bit on the quest lines...it might be helpful.

The faction quests are long and complicated. In the old days you were kept on track by your level and not being able to travel to other factions. Now you can go anywhere, and a new player can get lost.

Each faction’s major story arc starts in the starter city - vukel guard, davons watch and daggerfall. These proceed sequentially through the zones in that faction - for you as DC, glenumbra...stormhaven...rivenspire...alikr desert...bangkorai. Each zone has 15-20 quests in the faction story, with three skill points awarded in these per zone.

Following the quest line isn’t too hard. Every time you turn in a quest leg, a quest giver will be immediately nearby to hand you the next leg. Even if you’re to change zones. For example, when you wrap up Glenumbra a new quest giver will give you a quest to go to Stormhaven, where you’ll turn in the travel quest and immediately get the Stormhaven faction quest.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Something that is very confusing is that you can start each zone’s quest line EVEN IF YOU HAVENT COMPLETELD PREVIOUS ZONES. You could move straight into the Bangkorai quests, for example, even before finishing Glenumbra or the others. The story will then be very confusing...you’ll meet people out of order, events will be referenced, etc. If you’re playing to follow the story, don’t pick up the quests at the entry point wayshrine in a zone until you’re ready for that zone.

The faction quest lines don’t really overlap, so you may play multiple factions without messing anything up. (However, it might make the stories confusing). As a point of reference, (very minor spoiler) the chronology technically is that each faction quest line culminates at the same time as when in the main story (the quests with the prophet) you are sent to Coldharbour. This is also technically where the fighters and mages guild quest lines converge. However, in the original release you could not play all three factions then go to Coldharbour. The idea then was that your character got a “look back” at what happened in the other factions while they were becoming a champion. Now the order is up to you.