The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Lore nerds, were you satisfied with CWC story?

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This is NOT a thread about the decisions zos made about balancing or gameplay decisions, housing, etc... this is about enjoyment of CWC story.

Personally, I feel the story was better than mw expansion and after so many years of wondering how it's like to meet seht, we finally see him and he is an interesting character, even if we only see him for a little bit. It's interesting to see the story of how people got there, how they get their food, etc and I really applaud the devs on the story this time around.
Edited by Aliyavana on October 26, 2017 11:03AM

Lore nerds, were you satisfied with CWC story? 57 votes

Yes
87%
NestorGilvothAcrolasFaulgorPendrillionixiemirta000b16_ESOanitajoneb17_ESOUloMilvanstarlizard70ub17_ESOkojouelias.stormneb18_ESOtheroyalestpythonnub18_ESOLoves_guarsczarFlameheartLegolessDystopia2020Rawkan 50 votes
No
12%
Cpt_Teemoklink012pieratsosStovahkiinmwo1480MarabornwingrionElectrone_Magnus 7 votes
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    This is NOT a thread about the decisions zos made about balancing or gameplay decisions, housing, etc... this is about enjoyment of CWC story.

Personally, I feel the story was better than mw expansion and after so many years of wondering how it's like to meet seht, we finally see him and he is an interesting character, even if we only see him for a little bit. It's interesting to see the story of how people got there, how they get their food, etc and I really applaud the devs on the story this time around.

we "met him" sort of in the original Morrowind TES III

admittedly the "mad as a bag of bats" Almalexia had killed him, so it was only his rotting corpse, but still...there he was in the flesh (putrefying)
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read this thread title, all I could think of was @aliyavana shouting:

tenor.gif
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    There wasn't anything earth shattering lore wise in the story, which felt a bit bland, and the DLC was kinda spoiled by how trivial the fights were, but I will say there was a lot of bits of interesting information in there, and they did do a lot to make CWC come alive.

Sotha Sil was a bit on the weak side IMO, but he did spark an interesting talk in zone chat about CHIM and such, so that was nice.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    There wasn't anything earth shattering lore wise in the story, which felt a bit bland, and the DLC was kinda spoiled by how trivial the fights were, but I will say there was a lot of bits of interesting information in there, and they did do a lot to make CWC come alive.

Sotha Sil was a bit on the weak side IMO, but he did spark an interesting talk in zone chat about CHIM and such, so that was nice.

You were probably there earlier when done geeked out on lore
    Edited by Aliyavana on October 26, 2017 11:19AM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    aliyavana wrote: »
    Sixty5 wrote: »

You were probably there earlier when done geeked out on lore

Indeed I was.

I still think Tiber Septim made up half the stuff he did, and the rest was accomplished with a 10 into luck.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Ulo
    Ulo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yeah, it was nice to see the clockwork city and it wasn't what I was expecting, in a good way. First time you ever get to see Sotha Sil alive and kicking in Elder Scrolls lore aswell. It was also good to see Nocturnal finally get some attention aswell.
  • mwo1480
    mwo1480
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    may be a personal thing as i always hated the tribunal and never liked sotha sils dwemer rip offs

first of all instead of walking in to a mechanic magical city hiddin in tamriel, does it feels more like u walking in to a mod for eso (person feeling)

from the moment u met that dark elf from tes3 tillhe gets sends away with the artifect it feels more like pushing the game to be canon to the tes series instead of own story

tn the whole nocturnal followers 2 dead ones wear costumes similair to nightingales who might exist, but so far we know they only started some years before skyrim (atleast then is when the first one was sighted)

sure the dlc was great, just not what i expected/hoped
    eu/pc
    every char has a story

anne-susan ...breton sorch DC
    seline kay .... bosmer dk AD
    julia-noor ...bosmer temp DC
    elle wolf .... breton temp AD
    Mari-Lynn.... woodelf nb AD former empress
    Mari-chan... woodelf warden AD
    (and more chars)
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I loved it personally. One of the best storylines I've played in this game. I liked many of the new characters, especially Luciana which had an interesting backstory (if you read her journal entries).
    Edited by Rawkan on October 26, 2017 12:35PM
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I've been really impressed with all the quests thus far and the worldbuilding is amazing.

Sotha Sil is such a good tall boy.

Better wordsmith than Vivec, too. Like, he has prosey moments, but doesn't make me want to punch him.

• starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I liked the story and the whole Clockwork City setup. A few of the side quests were a little annoying/tedious but I expected that. After a 1000+ quests, some of them start to feel the same. Lore wise, it's fine. Ever since TES 3, some of the early lore has been reconned anyway. And we know some of the information in a few lore books is just plain wrong, (it all depends on the writer's point of view.) Overall I like CWC's story better than the last 2 dlcs and the Morrowind chapter. It's on the same level as the Wrothgar story line.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like it a lot and Sotha Sil is by far my new favorite Tribunal God now. Talking to him at the end of it all at the memorial place was quite amazing and listening to his thoughts about himself, the other Tribunals, and so on was really good IMO and quite thought provoking, if you ask me.
  • thawks
    thawks
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I was satisfied. Lots of references to obscure lore, metaphysics, and out-of-game texts, and some new cool concepts were introduced. The City was aesthetically awesome, the characters were well-written, and Evergloam was super chill.

But I do feel like Sotha Sil was a bit too good to be true. He's spent millennia building a mechanical simulacrum of the universe and is selflessly safeguarding the entire Aurbis simply because he believes he has too, knowing that he will die and never reap its ultimate reward?

Most of the side quests point to him being extremely demanding of his followers, that he doesn't care much for individual suffering as long as the status quo remains the same... But in the end he gives the choice of Luciana's fate to the player, therefore absolving himself. I can't tell whether he's just supposed to be The Coolest Guy Ever or extremely manipulative.

I also would've liked a bit more focus on Nocturnal and her minions. The same goes for Vile and Mephala. What are their goals? We know what Bal was trying to do, but none of these guys ever struck me as generic doomsday villains.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didnt even set foot into CWC yet
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The final dialogue was really fantastic, it basically touched on all the deeper metaphysical lore stuff without outright saying so (gradients, walking ways, amaranth, etc). So being knowledgable about these things felt really rewarding when He mentioned them.

Also, the "key" plot point could have almost been lifted from /r/teslore. Really nice Daedric Artifact lore.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    everything looked just right and better then what was to be expected.
    devs, zenimax, well done.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I should have known better....but Spoilers please.

Console pleb here.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    To you people that voted no, care to explain why?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    In a guild event last night, someone asked about the Mechanical beings and if they had a brain or cognition. I then asked her if she had done CWC yet as all that is explained.

I like what I have done so far, but it is mostly side quests and dailies. But the story of the people, which is what you get from those is good, coherent and makes sense.

Have not actually started the Main Quest yet, I think. There is some glowing blue NPC that accosts me at the Wayshrines calling me Shadow Warrior. I have ignored her so far, so I have a feeling this is the path to the MQ for that zone.
    Edited by Nestor on October 26, 2017 4:17PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dantaria
    Dantaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Oh hell yes. Well, the storyline itself is meh, but final dialog with Sotha Sil... FJKHJKHFSHFJKGHHJHFKLJJASFJVGF

He actually says a lot. Problem is, you need some background to understand him.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Kalpa
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/CHIM

Sotha Sil's belief in causality and inevitability and CwC being kind of Noah's Ark though not quite... Those are huge revelations.

Also personally I simply want to hug Sotha Sil now :D They did a lot here: he went from the least known member of Tribunal with very undefined personality and goals to the... well... most adequate member of Tribunal. As adequate as one can be, when one becomes living god and through that learns that the rules of the game (i.e. world order) are actually cruel and hopeless and... well. While Vivec allows himself to envision the possibility of escape, Sotha Sil is too rational for that and this is as beautifully tragic as it possibly can get.

#SothaSilNeedsAHug
    Edited by Dantaria on October 26, 2017 4:35PM
    English isn't my native, apologies for any mistakes.
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    thawks wrote: »
    I was satisfied. Lots of references to obscure lore, metaphysics, and out-of-game texts, and some new cool concepts were introduced. The City was aesthetically awesome, the characters were well-written, and Evergloam was super chill.

But I do feel like Sotha Sil was a bit too good to be true. He's spent millennia building a mechanical simulacrum of the universe and is selflessly safeguarding the entire Aurbis simply because he believes he has too, knowing that he will die and never reap its ultimate reward?

Most of the side quests point to him being extremely demanding of his followers, that he doesn't care much for individual suffering as long as the status quo remains the same... But in the end he gives the choice of Luciana's fate to the player, therefore absolving himself. I can't tell whether he's just supposed to be The Coolest Guy Ever or extremely manipulative.
    I thought the same things, but remember Sotha Sil finally says he is just a mirror, then all the gears aligned.
    Edited by Dystopia2020 on October 26, 2017 9:24PM
    Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".
  • Trainwiz
    Trainwiz
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Beyond satisfied, though I'm probably biased.
  • Axmalexia
    Axmalexia
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I was quite satisfied with the story and the juicy juicy lore that came with it. While I know some who are not pleased by this interpretation of Sotha Sil, I find it fascinating and am quite glad that it was only for a short time we met him as to keep up the....'Mystery'....
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    mwo1480 wrote: »
    from the moment u met that dark elf from tes3 tillhe gets sends away with the artifect it feels more like pushing the game to be canon to the tes series instead of own story

tn the whole nocturnal followers 2 dead ones wear costumes similair to nightingales who might exist, but so far we know they only started some years before skyrim (atleast then is when the first one was sighted)
    This makes zero sense. Divayth Fyr was already ancient in TES3, so his appearance in ESO should come as no surprise. We also have no idea when the Nightingales were founded, but they were around hundreds of years before TES5.
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I thought most of the lore in Clockwork City was very cool. Honestly, my main gripe with it is that it feels too artificially "pretty" compared to it being the swamp-surrounded area it was planned to be back in TES 3. I just like the setting of a derelict swamp-based Clockwork City more.

Here's some official Concept Art and preview screenshots showing this:

BhsiVLr.jpg
    1024?cb=20170615224338
    Edited by TheRimOfTheSky on October 30, 2017 10:41PM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I thought most of the lore in Clockwork City was very cool. Honestly, my main gripe with it is that it feels too artificially "pretty" compared to it being the swamp-surrounded area it was planned to be back in TES 3. I just like the setting of a derelict swamp-based Clockwork City more.

Here's some official Concept Art and preview screenshots showing this:

BhsiVLr.jpg
    1024?cb=20170615224338

they probably went away with that idea because it would probably resemble vvardenfell to much. The environment under the front bridge is swampy but I really don't like that they didn't add fabricant mushrooms... Seht is a dunmer obsessed with perfection and why not make it resemble morrowind with some mushrooms?
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Just my opinion, but easily the best 'main quest chain' ESO has had in awhile. I even (no shame) teared up a bit at the end when the topics of grief were discussed. Easily my favorite main story line since Orsinium.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really liked this DLC storywise. It feels so radically different from the other zones in the game. It actually felt as if you were in another game. In fact, I regularly got some Fallout 4 vibes from it. A true breath of fresh air. I also completed it without going out of the CWC. I really had the feeling I was sent there for a mission, and was in a different sort of 'realm', and that I wasn't supposed to leave it before things had been settled. It was not just the story that did it for me, maybe even more so the actual zone/city, the people and the atmosphere and lore that is present.

The Tribunal lore has always been very interesting for me, especially concerning Sotha Sil. Back when I was young and I played TES:3 Tribunal, I never got to the actual clockwork city, so I was itching to see it. And I was pleasantly surprised. I agree with @SirAxen that this is their best story/zone addition since Orsinium. The crows thing was a bit meeeeh though...
    Edited by Koensol on November 2, 2017 5:00PM