The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

please someone help me solve this latency problem ...

nbhran3
nbhran3
hey guys ...
so my question is , why would i need to open ports to be able to play the game ? Isnt playing the game and having no difficulty entering the game or having no latency is something that suppose to be in the first place ?
Its like me selling shoes to a costumer and telling him that if he want something to tie hes shoes with he needs to make them by himself...
As a big company like Bethesda or Zenimax , being able to enter the game without any problems is a basic thing !
Why would i risk my computer by making ports ? When did playing a game became so problematic ?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was on PC this was a suggestion given to me by support when I reported NPCs that seemed to dissapear literally as reappear or not appear at all.

I took the suggestions in hopes of a better experience but later learned it was an issue on their end and resulted in a patch.

Not knowing all the details, I’d say at least try their suggestion right away and reply back in 24 hours if unresolved.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 17, 2017 1:54AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nbhran3 wrote: »
    hey guys ...
    so my question is , why would i need to open ports to be able to play the game ? Isnt playing the game and having no difficulty entering the game or having no latency is something that suppose to be in the first place ?
    Its like me selling shoes to a costumer and telling him that if he want something to tie hes shoes with he needs to make them by himself...
    As a big company like Bethesda or Zenimax , being able to enter the game without any problems is a basic thing !
    Why would i risk my computer by making ports ? When did playing a game became so problematic ?

Which region (NA/EU/OC) do you live in, and which megaserver are you connecting to? Also what is your latency?
    Options
  • nbhran3
    nbhran3
    Riejael wrote: »
    hey guys ...

Which region (NA/EU/OC) do you live in, and which megaserver are you connecting to? Also what is your latency?

im from the middle east (Israel) and my latency runs between 600 to 999+
    Options
  • Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey guys ...

There's nothing that can be done. You live in a location that's just too far away from either megaserver to actually get a decent latency. The issue is distance, which can only be fixed by moving closer.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to try creating a character on the other regional server and see if that makes any difference to performance in terms of the different routing. That aside, it would be worth working with ZOS and trying their advice. It sounds like you also need to research or take advice on the issue of opening ports (all games require some ports to be open) as clearly it's something that's worrying you although I doubt that ZOS would be recommending you to put your computer at risk.
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try EU and NA. But it probably a distance/rubbish infrastructure problem between you and the server. Unfortunately if you dont live in the us or somewhere close to germany latency is usually a problem.
    Options
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do make sure you're using an ethernet cable and not trying to connect over WiFi. My typical ping from the UK to the NA server is 180 ms over wired ethernet. But if I forget to turn WiFi off, it goes up to 400 ms.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Options
  • Avnr
    Avnr
    ✭✭✭
    you use cables internet? change that
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey guys ...
    so my question is , why would i need to open ports to be able to play the game ?

Because every single thing you do on the internet is done through a port. Some ports are dynamic like for web surfing, some are fixed like for email or DNS, some are established like for gaming and applications. Without Ports, nothing you do on the internet would ever know how to be handled by the machine your on. It would be like living in a high rise and every single delivery/piece of mail/visitor/shipment is just piled in the lobby for people to paw through to find, if they even know to look for it.

Now, Firewalls, by their nature, lock down all ports unless specified by someone or something. Dynamic Ports are established on the fly, but gaming and apps are not. So, if you have a firewall you need to allow for the ports to be accessible. Triggering is the most common, and is quite safe as the port is only opened if the game client wants it to be, and will only listen for specific traffic with a specific protocol from the game server. Not from anywhere else.

But, this is how most games work, and most applications too if they are on the internet.

This whole thing is contrasted by say windows always listening on some certain port and hackers know this and its a security risk. The only way hackers could take advantage of the game is to spoof a server, find the PC that has the game installed, then be on and listening and able to intercept the traffic on the specific port dynamically established in that range, then send something in some format or protocol that will be accepted by your machine. Believe me hackers have better things to do that to go through all that just so they can mess with your character. Your a gamer, not a Bank or the Government or a Business with secrets to acquire and sell.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • nbhran3
    nbhran3
    Nestor wrote: »
    hey guys ...
    so my question is , why would i need to open ports to be able to play the game ?

Because every single thing you do on the internet is done through a port. Some ports are dynamic like for web surfing, some are fixed like for email or DNS, some are established like for gaming and applications. Without Ports, nothing you do on the internet would ever know how to be handled by the machine your on. It would be like living in a high rise and every single delivery/piece of mail/visitor/shipment is just piled in the lobby for people to paw through to find, if they even know to look for it.

Now, Firewalls, by their nature, lock down all ports unless specified by someone or something. Dynamic Ports are established on the fly, but gaming and apps are not. So, if you have a firewall you need to allow for the ports to be accessible. Triggering is the most common, and is quite safe as the port is only opened if the game client wants it to be, and will only listen for specific traffic with a specific protocol from the game server. Not from anywhere else.

But, this is how most games work, and most applications too if they are on the internet.

This whole thing is contrasted by say windows always listening on some certain port and hackers know this and its a security risk. The only way hackers could take advantage of the game is to spoof a server, find the PC that has the game installed, then be on and listening and able to intercept the traffic on the specific port dynamically established in that range, then send something in some format or protocol that will be accepted by your machine. Believe me hackers have better things to do that to go through all that just so they can mess with your character. Your a gamer, not a Bank or the Government or a Business with secrets to acquire and sell.

i tried to contact my ISP and they are just a bunch of idiots.
    i tried to get help from them on how to forward ports with only telling them the local start port and end port but they werent able to understand what i want....
    Options
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Encountered multiple lag spikes, roll backs & disconnections over the last couple of days. Really is becoming annoying. My ping rate is going from around 250, which is standard for me, up to 999. Problem is, no idea what might be causing the above. Whether its all the added players due to the witches festival or on my end.
    Just happened again. At a dolmen with around 14 other players. Anchor drops. Ping rate hits 999, followed by disconnection. PC/NA btw.
    Edited by phairdon on October 23, 2017 9:57PM
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
    Options
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every other country outside of america has major issues with latency. Zos dont seem to care.
    Even with all the lag related threads that pop up every week you'd think they do something about it? plus that joke of a troubleshooting they supply rarely works. (ps4/na)
    Options
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey guys ...

There's nothing that can be done. You live in a location that's just too far away from either megaserver to actually get a decent latency. The issue is distance, which can only be fixed by moving closer.

I live in australia and use NA server - i use mudfish vpn - latency is 250 ??
    Options
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4/na
    Cyrodill - been dc'd over 5 times in 30 minutes (even froze during submitting a ticket).

Would like to know the percentage of lag related issues that are brought up a week?
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using vpn

I live far away and have bad latency but playable... not as bas as you
    Options
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we are going about this all wrong. We should be saying