Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Monster Helm for Ranger

Waffennacht
Waffennacht
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm wondering what's the best helm set for a ranger build.

Preferably offensive oriented, bloodspawn is a great choice I know, but what about offensive?

I don't have access to enough DoTs (imo) to justify Skoria.

I've tried Selitrix, Veli, and Kena. Any suggestions?
Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
1300+ CP
Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PVE? Veli (maybe mephala)
    PVP? Skoria

Then trollking/bloodspawn. If you cant justify either it is not worth using any other.

//edit:
    for the record, I have been trying to use offensive monster set on stamina ranged build both in PVE and PVP for past 2 years and simply nothing is worth it, except Skoria with enough DoTs (in PVP)
    Edited by SodanTok on October 25, 2017 6:32PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    PVE? Veli (maybe mephala)
    PVP? Skoria

Then trollking/bloodspawn. If you cant justify either it is not worth using any other.

//edit:
    for the record, I have been trying to use offensive monster set on stamina ranged build both in PVE and PVP for past 2 years and simply nothing is worth it, except Skoria with enough DoTs (in PVP)

Kinda the feeling I'm getting...

I'll test veli a bit more...

If not, hrm, got an extra slot... Which then messes up sets (seeing as I won't be able to just slap a vMA weapon there)

PvP fyi, I'm also staying away from Crit Rush Shalk build.

I know ranger is like the worst ATM, but I'm sticking with it
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1pc kra'gh 1pc kena/pirate.
    Bow users don't have the initial penetration like LA staff users get from both their weapon line+ armor.

You could roll mephalia
    2 items) When you deal damage with a fully-charged Heavy Attack, you create a web for 10 seconds that deals 1096 Poison Damage every 1 second and reduces the Movement Speed of enemies within by 50%. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds.

Maybe not the best consistency. Slimecraw is good.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 slimecraw if you are not a nigthblade. 1kena+1velidreth if you are a NB.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    1pc kra'gh 1pc kena/pirate.
    Bow users don't have the initial penetration like LA staff users get from both their weapon line+ armor.

You could roll mephalia
    2 items) When you deal damage with a fully-charged Heavy Attack, you create a web for 10 seconds that deals 1096 Poison Damage every 1 second and reduces the Movement Speed of enemies within by 50%. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds.

Maybe not the best consistency. Slimecraw is good.

Ty! Slimecraw is a brilliant idea. Also I was wondering about penetration...

So @Minno any more ideas? Anyone?

I'm getting some great info

Edit
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    2 slimecraw if you are not a nigthblade. 1kena+1velidreth if you are a NB.

Ty! Yeah, great things!

Real quick ideas on Penetration?
    Edited by Waffennacht on October 25, 2017 6:58PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I run Bird O Prey, what other ideas?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I run Bird O Prey, what other ideas?

If you run BoP, definitely roll sharp+1pc kra'gh. Then add whatever you want.

Bow penetration is annoying; you give up to much DMG to try to get 10k pen other builds get for farting. After sharp+1pc kra'gh, keep WD mundas and trying to get minor fracture. Good news bow gives you good crit chance, roll MA for dodge passive and shuffle snare removal.

Do wardens have a reflect? What about ranged debuffs?
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also go 5pc cowards for your Regen/defense. S+b backbar.

Edit: you can get major expedition with BoP, I forgot.
    Edited by Minno on October 25, 2017 7:09PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I had an experimental bow build:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=27752

Not sure if it works.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Villian

Not sure if it works.

Good info! Crusher enchantments... Infused?

Also, nirn vs sharp on bow?

Leaning now towards x1/x1 monster. Gonna math it up
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Villian

Not sure if it works.

Good info! Crusher enchantments... Infused?

Also, nirn vs sharp on bow?

Leaning now towards x1/x1 monster. Gonna math it up

Maybe master bow?
    I hate huge RNG gear so I never build for them.

I used sharpened. In my build I also used pen mundas.
    You can also use poisons (might be created and proc more)
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it works.

don't want to sound rude, but that builds is really bad.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it works.

Either way it has ideas! Never lose out on some info just because the source may not be optimised!
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it works.

Can't be rude if I said I never tested it lol.
    I think when I made it it was to test how to get penetration on bow.

But otherwise take it as it is; just giving waff ideas to try.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it works.

Not sure if it works.

Either way it has ideas! Never lose out on some info just because the source may not be optimised!

Is not about optimization, the choice of sets is really bad. Stacking penetration on PvP is not as effective as in PvE, any magika player with a damage shield will negate all your penetration, it will be almost imposible to kill it with that build. For PvP is better to stack on weapon damage, not only is effective vs all kind of targets, it also boost your heals (key aspect for PvP, if you vigor and rally dosn't heal for ***, you die very quick, specially on medium armor)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ManDraKE I have very little (if any) penetration ATM and I feel like I'm missing out.

I.e. faced many opponent's that my 15k tooltip would crit for 6k.

I feel like I need to up my penetration, so when it does land it deals a good amount of damage.

So, quite frankly, thinking 100% use of penetration would be better than a semi useful armor set

Your opinions?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it works.

Not sure if it works.

Is not about optimization, the choice of sets is really bad. Stacking penetration on PvP is not as effective as in PvE, any magika player with a damage shield will negate all your penetration, it will be almost imposible to kill it with that build. For PvP is better to stack on weapon damage, not only is effective vs all kind of targets, it also boost your heals (key aspect for PvP, if you vigor and rally dosn't heal for ***, you die very quick, specially on medium armor)

If you have the CC, doesn't matter what you do on the shield because you'll be hitting them to stop them from recasting right before you want your burst to hit.

Yes you are right, DMG is probably better because it boosts your offense and heals. I think waff is alot better than I am to determine how much DMG his build needs versus penetration. I think I mentioned bow suffers from lack of penetration sources but it also suffers from lack of DMG.

And I mostly do non-meta sets. If some suck after testing, I start away. But I'd rather look for interesting ways to play than do the usual builds. If it sucks, oh well at least I tried :).

- Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Better to go 5/5/1 than 5/4/2 if you dont want to use skoria and want to go for offensive way (so no BS).

Master bow obv BiS if going ranged (tho even I dont have it after ~2years of playing the game, hopefully CWC revives interest for dsa)

Trait does not matter. I prefer infused with disease (for defile), but sharpened and nirn work great too. Personally I would go nirn if I had at least 7k pen from other sources. Your heals are already weaker by choosing bow (~400 less weapon damage than 2h when buffed, lul)

S/B backbar 100% on warden

Sets all about weapon damage and sustain (tho some proc sets like sheer venom can work). There are no good penetration sets imo (3500 from spriggan is too weak).

Dubious food obv. It is the bosmer food both by name and function. Which moves the point to race. Bosmer, bosmer and only bosmer. Bow heavy attacks are horrible both for damage and for sustain. Punishing bow in pve and pvp. So everything to regen.

//edit
    As for combat output, cant say for xbox. My ranged waren is limited to 10m range for draining shot + sub assault + dawnbreaker combo. Impossible to use snipe as long as Miat addon exists.

tl;dr You will be child of destro magwarden and 2h stamwarden. Weaker than both, yet still capable of great things :D
    Edited by SodanTok on October 25, 2017 8:46PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better to go 5/5/1 than 5/4/2 if you dont want to use skoria and want to go for offensive way (so no BS).

Master bow obv BiS if going ranged (tho even I dont have it after ~2years of playing the game, hopefully CWC revives interest for dsa)

Trait does not matter. I prefer infused with disease (for defile), but sharpened and nirn work great too. Personally I would go nirn if I had at least 7k pen from other sources. Your heals are already weaker by choosing bow (~400 less weapon damage than 2h when buffed, lul)

Sets all about weapon damage and sustain (tho some proc sets like sheer venom can work). There are no good penetration sets imo (3500 from spriggan is too weak).

Dubious food obv. It is the bosmer food both by name and function. Which moves the point to race. Bosmer, bosmer and only bosmer. Bow heavy attacks are horrible both for damage and for sustain. Punishing bow in pve and pvp. So everything to regen.

//edit
    As for combat output, cant say for xbox. My ranged waren is limited to 10m range for draining shot + sub assault + dawnbreaker combo. Impossible to use snipe as long as Miat addon exists.

Backbar crit rush to help land bugs+get into draining range?
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

//edit

Thats the trick, you dont need it. People come to you and people cant run away from you (well, stam sorc orcs and magsorcs can) plus nobody really wants to run away from you. You have bow in your main hand, nobody but some newbies is going to run scared seeing you and once they are in your range they will never leave because Major Expedition on demand, medium armor speed on demand and personal cherry on top - wind running from CP
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ManDraKE I have very little (if any) penetration ATM and I feel like I'm missing out.

I.e. faced many opponent's that my 15k tooltip would crit for 6k.

I feel like I need to up my penetration, so when it does land it deals a good amount of damage.

So, quite frankly, thinking 100% use of penetration would be better than a semi useful armor set

Your opinions?

I found that a little penetration on the bow does in fact go a long way. Are you using spriggans? focus aim? Add 3-3.5 more thru cp or mundus. There is always radiant magelight, infused beserker glyph on bow bar, slimecraw, and marksman to up bow damage.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1p Kena 1p Velidreth to stack maximum weapon damage.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

//edit

Thats the trick, you dont need it. People come to you and people cant run away from you (well, stam sorc orcs and magsorcs can) plus nobody really wants to run away from you. You have bow in your main hand, nobody but some newbies is going to run scared seeing you and once they are in your range they will never leave because Major Expedition on demand, medium armor speed on demand and personal cherry on top - wind running from CP

Ah ok I misread. I thought you meant the 10m range as a negative but you mention it as a positive!

I agree, for warden, ME is enough mobility to deslot a gap closer.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

//edit

Ah ok I misread. I thought you meant the 10m range as a negative but you mention it as a positive!

I agree, for warden, ME is enough mobility to deslot a gap closer.

It is negative for all possible ways to build ranger, except sub assault warden
    Edited by SodanTok on October 25, 2017 9:49PM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Run slime, then you don't need bird of prey
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly my best bow build (Stamplar) is using Bone Pirate / Blood Spawn / Agility. I've tried just about everything but keep coming back to the classics.

Morag Tong + Sheer Venom + 2x dmg poison is also really strong and fun.

You'd think ZOS would start making some fun bow-oriented sets that don't suck...