Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pirate Skeleton still overperforming

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malic wrote: »
    Stop crying for nerfs, ask for buffs.

In some cases we did. Got nerfs anyway lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should say "Pirate Skeleton is still over performing is specific builds".

Please list the builds that make this set over perform.

I ask this becasue I have been testing with this set since they changed it and with DPS PVP at least in the style I am using it I did notice a difference in survive-ability. I am not playing a Sorc or a perma-blocking build.

Also I think if you nerf a set item so no build (even obscure ones,(Not stating Perma and shield stacking are obscure)) can over perform with the particular set, then no one would use it and BP would be another set no one uses.

The changes to BP IMO opinion being that I used it before and after the change are that the set does not afford me near the survive-ability as it did prior. Again I am not shield-stacking or perma-blocking.

Perma-blocking is its own issue for good or bad
    Shield-stacking is its own issue for good or bad
    We can have a discussion on these types of play styles in another thread. Good, bad, indifferent.

If we did not have either of the above builds in Cyro would this set in your opinion still be over performing?
    Edited by Defilted on October 20, 2017 9:19PM
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Defilted wrote: »
    Should say "Pirate Skeleton is still over performing is specific builds".

Please list the builds that make this set over perform.

I ask this becasue I have been testing with this set since they changed it and with DPS PVP at least in the style I am using it I did notice a difference in survive-ability. I am not playing a Sorc or a perma-blocking build.

Also I think if you nerf a set item so no build (even obscure ones,(Not stating Perma and shield stacking are obscure)) can over perform with the particular set, then no one would use it and BP would be another set no one uses.

The changes to BP IMO opinion being that I used it before and after the change are that the set does not afford me near the survive-ability as it did prior. Again I am not shield-stacking or perma-blocking.

Perma-blocking is its own issue for good or bad
    Shield-stacking is its own issue for good or bad
    We can have a discussion on these types of play styles in another thread. Good, bad, indifferent.

If we did not have either of the above builds in Cyro would this set in your opinion still be over performing?

It overperforms when you use shields as your primary defense, and can heal quickly under them, be that by several smaller heals or a strong burst heal like Healing Ward. It works the way it should as soon as you take most incoming damage directly to your health pool and are thus forced to use heals that are affected by Minor Defile to stay alive (or wait until the effect ends, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense).
    Shieldstacking makes it even more powerful because both combining Harness and other damage shields, as well as Pirate Skeleton with damage shields in general are synergies with the same set of skills. It is also made more powerful by anything that allows you to stay alive easier when a burst breaks your shields, that is any kind of mitigation and especially crit resist; having good stamina sustain is crucial as well.

What makes it so strong is that the shields you cast absorb more damage. So if your shields are more limited by other factors, such as the expiration timer or resource sustain, it is less powerful. However, where that is the case, decreasing the size of shields cast under the proc's effect will also have a lesser effect on performance than where shields size is the limiting factor.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's over performing and here's why.

You must sacrifice an offensive monster set
    and
    You must be open to burst kill to have it proc

I'm aware splash damage past a ward can proc it, even so it's not a guarantee for survival.

I doubt I'll change anyone's mind though
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Pirate Skeleton

Edit:
    Actually, thinking further about this, a debuff that reduced damage shields cast on the user by 15% for the duration of the proc would probably be the best solution. Then it also doesn't effect other potential users twice, like magicka NBs. Don't know how I didn't think of that earlier.

Now THAT is a GOOD idea!
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    I don't think its drawbacks are fully circumvented.

When something hits your sorc flesh, you're already close to dying. Used to be, that you had this proc up nearly constantly, even BEFORE your naked HP got hit. Much safer than the risky, probably not proccing, execute-defender we have now.

Well, I used it pre-"nerf" and wasn't sure whether the change would help me or hurt me, because before a competent opponent could time their burst right after the proc and I sometimes died fighting several enemies when shields went down while the set was on cooldown, just by chance. Now it procs more reliably when I get hit with shields down - I just have to survive the initial burst, which is why the set is little good to bad Sorcs who fervently try to keep their shields up as if their life depended on it (well... maybe it does :p ).

I mean, it's not like I want to have Minor Defile on me; I just don't care. Defile only becomes dangerous for me with a build focused on it, that can have you kinda stuck on low hp for a while. But do you remember when Battle Spirit affected shields less than heals? I mean, that was kind of silly, and it was changed to equal debuffs on both later.

Oh, Defile doesn't bother me. It's the active frame.

Look, when you get hit with a 10k Surprise Attack (including light attack), you're already almost in execute range. And now, PS activates AFTER that SA - if it activates. This can already be too late.

Compare that to previously. You typically had it active already when you took the SA, bringing you to like two thirds of your health. By the time your opponent got you into execute range, you already broke free and got Healing Ward up.
    And that's not even considering how much harder it used to be to get to your HP in the first place, with that Protection active half of the time.

True, it could be on cooldown when you needed it, but that was very rare and calculatable. You saw your PS proc, you knew when to prepare for it running out.
    I think it's still a useful set, but not OP, no. Just a clutch execute-avoider now and then. I would take a clutch execute-deliverer like Skoria over it, if I could proc it.