The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dungeon Finder is it really that broken?

Orange_fire_dragon
Orange_fire_dragon
✭✭✭
I don't know the history of this game too well, I have been around for few months before Morrowind "expansion" was released.

One thing I noticed quickly was the complaints about the dungeon finder system, that it is extremely broken.

I started this game as a tank and when I finally first used this system I didn't have issues finding dungeon, happened in like under 1 minute easy. Still do find dungeons that quick at +460cp

I now have other toons, big surprise and I tried que up on DPS and now it took time to find a dungeon. 5-10 or even 20 minutes.

Jumped on tank, qued up under 1 minute and boom dungeon found.

It is not the dungeon finder that seems broken, it is the fact that most of you play DPS so we have +20 DPS players qued for each tank/healer.

The most broken thing about it I have experienced is that sometimes I have to press twice for it to accept dungeon invite when one is found.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There haven't been any issues with the system for a while now.

People who complain are DPS who have to wait 30-40 minutes for a queue, sometimes even over an hour. But that's not a flaw with the system. It's just common sense that if 95% of players are DPS, then wait times for DPS will be much higher than for the other roles.

One change that might work is giving us an option to queue for a 4x DPS team if we want.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 30, 2017 9:06PM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you can tank or heal then it's real fast, but who would have thought there would be queuing issues in a game with 90 percent of players as dps... he he he...
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piraja27 wrote: »
    I don't know the history of this game too well, I have been around for few months before Morrowind "expansion" was released.

One thing I noticed quickly was the complaints about the dungeon finder system, that it is extremely broken.

I started this game as a tank and when I finally first used this system I didn't have issues finding dungeon, happened in like under 1 minute easy. Still do find dungeons that quick at +460cp

I now have other toons, big surprise and I tried que up on DPS and now it took time to find a dungeon. 5-10 or even 20 minutes.

It is not the dungeon finder that seems broken, it is the fact that most of you play DPS so we have +20 DPS players qued for each tank/healer.

The most broken thing about it I have experienced is that sometimes I have to press twice for it to accept dungeon invite when one is found.

20 minutes really isn't that long of a wait for a DPS. That's pretty standard across the board.

Even the most popular MMORPGs (like World of Warcraft) have longer waits for DPS than that. So you should count yourself lucky you only had to wait 20 minutes.

As to why so many more people like to play DPS - who knows? If I had to guess I would say it's because they only have to worry about themselves instead of having to worry about healing or protecting other group members.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 30, 2017 9:47PM
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People who complain are DPS who have to wait 30-40 minutes for a queue, sometimes even over an hour. But that's not a flaw with the system. It's just common sense that if 95% of players are DPS, then wait times for DPS will be much higher than for the other roles.
    /endthread

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is not working as intended and hasn't since I started playing the game (about a month before homestead.) I do not expect to work as intended in the near future.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's working pretty well at the moment.

If you'd been here since the start, you'd know that there were months stretching into years when it was really messed up. It still is occasionally following a major update.

We all know that tanks and healers get into the queue much, much faster - hence all the fake DPS that queue that way.

It's when you queue as a tank and nothing happens or groups get auto-disbanded as you get into the dungeon, or you're in the dungeon and someone leaves and you try to get a 2nd DPS and you don't get one, that you know it's messed up.

But like I said, it's pretty good lately...knock on wood.
    Edited by Iselin on September 30, 2017 10:55PM
  • Krayzie
    Krayzie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One change that might work is giving us an option to queue for a 4x DPS team if we want.

Actually a huge flaw in the system is the "instance full" bug that doesn't even allow you to enter dungeon under whatever circumstance is restricting you.

Not to mention being constantly back filled into failed pug DLC dungeon groups,
    Edited by Krayzie on September 30, 2017 10:53PM
    I'm a PVE roleplayer concerned about my vampires stage 4 skin tone and keep getting load screens so I came here to distract people from major issues with a rant thread about my characters cosmetic appearance.
  • Orange_fire_dragon
    Orange_fire_dragon
    ✭✭✭
    Krayzie wrote: »

Actually a huge flaw in the system is the "instance full" bug that doesn't even allow you to enter dungeon under whatever circumstance is restricting you.

Instance full happens when the person who left or was kicked hasnt been registered to be out of dungeon yet, nothing to do with the system it still groups you up which it is supposed to do.
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause dd´s have endless queing
    RsOpyQI.png

Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The instance full bug has nothing to do with the group finder. When someone leaves or gets kicked, the server refuses to remove them from the group sometimes (they'll be gone from the team roster, but the server will still register them as on the team).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 1, 2017 4:26AM
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my tank or heal gets insta grouped.

my dps must wait 20 min
    PC
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The default icon is dps one. That's a problem. I would consider have a tutorial that explains what selecting each icon means.
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

95% of players QUEUE as dps, now the ratio of players in GF who actually can DPS is prob a quarter or less of that figure.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Krayzie
    Krayzie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Instance full happens when the person who left or was kicked hasnt been registered to be out of dungeon yet, nothing to do with the system it still groups you up which it is supposed to do.

Why would the "system" be able to group you if the person hasn't been registered out of the dungeon yet lol Seems like the "system" shouldn't be filling a group slot if the group member you're replacing hasn't left the group accessed through the group finding functions of the activity finder.

Activity finder shouldn't be grouping you into dungeons where there's someone still registered in the first place.

I'm a PVE roleplayer concerned about my vampires stage 4 skin tone and keep getting load screens so I came here to distract people from major issues with a rant thread about my characters cosmetic appearance.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I get many people that queue for all three roles and then suck at all 3 roles. Its awful. Then there are the healers and tanks that are really dps when you go into vet dungeons and just ruin everything for everyone.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The instance full bug has nothing to do with the group finder. When someone leaves or gets kicked, the server refuses to remove them from the group sometimes (they'll be gone from the team roster, but the server will still register them as on the team).
    Think its more related to infinite loading screen somehow, had one dungeon there we entered as 3 and last was unable, he got kicked but later was also not able to until we was at last boss.

But think this is the only bug left.
    the rest is stupid design decisions like having level 10 getting an 50% chance of dlc dungeons or that its an overweight of DD over healer and tanks.
    Edited by zaria on October 1, 2017 10:44AM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

20 minutes really isn't that long of a wait for a DPS. That's pretty standard across the board.

Even the most popular MMORPGs (like World of Warcraft) have longer waits for DPS than that. So you should count yourself lucky you only had to wait 20 minutes.

As to why so many more people like to play DPS - who knows? If I had to guess I would say it's because they only have to worry about themselves instead of having to worry about healing or protecting other group members.

Average time in WoW is actually around 3 - 9 minutes now (I got a few friends still playing it). Point is in WoW you can be tank for dungeons, and dps while doing solo-stuff at the same time. In ESO its quite hard to go hybrid like that ergo the lack of tanks and healers in the queue's.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • heartburnkid
    heartburnkid
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn’t matter that people mostly que as dps. It does matter that this game has mostly terrible players.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would the "system" be able to group you if the person hasn't been registered out of the dungeon yet lol Seems like the "system" shouldn't be filling a group slot if the group member you're replacing hasn't left the group accessed through the group finding functions of the activity finder.

Activity finder shouldn't be grouping you into dungeons where there's someone still registered in the first place.
    Derp. Derp. Derp.

You may have noticed by now that you can be grouped with people and be in different places. Like, you are in rawlka, another grouped person is in mournhold, a third groupmate is in maelstrom, a fourth groupmate is in a single-person instance of a quest, and a fifth groupmate is horsing across cyrodiil.

You may have noticed by now that being in a group is a separate thing from being in the same place.

So... OF COURSE you can get added to the group roster and then not be able to go into the 4-person-capacity area until one of the people in there is sent out. Because group roster is separate from character location.

Xbox NA
  • michalmack
    michalmack
    ✭✭✭
    When i do group finder a friend and i will go together as one dps and the other as healer or tank. Takes 5 min at most during peak hours. The forming of the group is kinda jinky, it will take a couple of times to form, but we get it done. This is vastly improved from where it began. That being said the system can probably be improved by looking at a way to prevent dps slotting as tanks/healers for vet dungeons.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks and Healers are highly sought after for running dungeons. Not many want to make a Tank and seems even less want to be a Healer. DPS is where we most go and we overload the dungeon finder with DPS toons. Just the way it is unfortunately.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With most games requiring more DPS that support roles in end game, ESO not being an exception, there are often more DPS than support and it makes sense DPS have to wait longer.

However, queueing up as 4 DPS is not the solution. It is fine to form up the group oneself outside of GF, or at least most of it, then use GF and go. Letting players queue up with the option of 4 DPS does not solve the qq but just changes it.

Considering most of the qq in the forums is players update the group cannot carry them and kick players to get stronger players for that reason my point is probably correct.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is something I've noticed (which may just be anecdotal) where I can be queued for more than 45 minutes, after being told I'm at the front of the queue because someone declined, with nothing happening, the leave queue, re-enter, and have it pop immediately, or at least within the first 15 minutes.

This is when queuing as dps for vet pledges, when you'd think there'd be a line out the door and around the corner for them.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeonfinder isnt broken at all. It works perfectly fine. Only problem is the player-base. For every tank / healer there are 99 dps around, so there is a huge imbalance.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is something I've noticed (which may just be anecdotal) where I can be queued for more than 45 minutes, after being told I'm at the front of the queue because someone declined, with nothing happening, the leave queue, re-enter, and have it pop immediately, or at least within the first 15 minutes.

This is when queuing as dps for vet pledges, when you'd think there'd be a line out the door and around the corner for them.
    It was an bug with finder saying it put you in front of queue but did not queue you at all.
    I think this is fixed, has not run into it lately, only pug as healer so notice it pretty fast if stuck

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Queueing for vet goes quicker. But honestly, I've not waited for more than few minutes for my DPS to pop in a long time. Healers and Tanks are pretty much pop instantly for me. Maybe I'm just lucky. You would've killed someone if you were around in the VR days trying to group.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    Jeremy wrote: »

Average time in WoW is actually around 3 - 9 minutes now (I got a few friends still playing it). Point is in WoW you can be tank for dungeons, and dps while doing solo-stuff at the same time. In ESO its quite hard to go hybrid like that ergo the lack of tanks and healers in the queue's.

It varies I guess because I was waiting 30 minutes + on Paladin when I went retribution sometimes before I got a hit. And that was in Legion so wasn't that long ago. Where as when I signed up as Holy it was rare for me to ever have to wait more than a few minutes. As protection it was always instant.

It was like that on Final Fantasy 14 as well.

And I doubt a lack of hybrids while soloing has anything to do with the tank shortage on ESO. Because every MMORPG I have ever played has had a shortage of tanks. It's just a role fewer people like to do.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 2, 2017 5:51AM