The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[vMSA] stage seven imbalance between stamina and magicka characters needs a fix

Letho2469
Letho2469
✭✭✭✭
This might be coming a little late, nevertheless: Stage 7 of vMSA's mushroom rng is ridiculous when playing with a stamina character. While my magicka characters just laugh when eating a mushroom (and this can happen extremely quickly due to rng), for a stamina character this is 99% a guaranteed death. This imbalance is barely acceptable for ppl who want the flawless conqueror title on their stamina main character.

Problem: Poison damage from mushrooms as too much initial damage for stamina characters to surive.
Solution: Adjust the poison damage curve, let it start slowly so that characters that don't have shields actually have a *chance* to run to the cleansing well and increase the damage to 20k @4th tick, 40k@5th tick, etc.
Trial Progression:
vAA: Hardmode
vHRC: Hardmode
vSO: Hardmode
vMoL: Hardmode + dro-m'Athra-Destroyer
vHoF: Hardmode + Tick Tock Tormentor
vAS: Hardmode + Immortal Redeemer
vCR: Hardmode + Gryphon Heart
vSS: Hardmode
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So shields stop that damage? Dang must be nice. Coincidentally my run at flawless today was ruined by this stage. I can make about 10 steps after getting poisoned, which doesn't happen very often.

I would be happy if they just fixed it so the poison stops as soon as you enter the circle. Countless times I've died from poison while in the circle. Also fix the enraged attack bug that can happen if you kill the minder at just the right time.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't see the big deal.

Some round are easier on some classes than others. But then other rounds are easier on others.

Plenty of people have got flawless on Stam characters.
    Edited by Brrrofski on September 24, 2017 9:58PM
    Options
  • Letho2469
    Letho2469
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kanar wrote: »
    So shields stop that damage? Dang must be nice. Coincidentally my run at flawless today was ruined by this stage. I can make about 10 steps after getting poisoned, which doesn't happen very often. I would be happy if they just fixed it so the poison stops as soon as you enter the circle. Countless times I've died from poison while in the circle. Also fix the enraged attack bug that can happen if you kill the minder at just the right time.

I complete the other stages without problems, too, it's always mushroom rng that ruins my flawless runs on my stam sorc. It's unbelievably unfair: If a mag char gets poisoned all he has to do is recasting a shield while running to a pool. Never had to recast the shield more than 3 times before reaching the pool. A stamina character will mostly die by the 2nd or 3rd poison tick as it does not only deal damage but also places a hefty heal reduction debuff on you. => stam characters are fully countered while magicka characters are nearly not affected by it.
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Some round are easier on some classes than others. But then other rounds are easier on others.

I disagree as there is no stage that is easier when using a stam char over a mag char. Ppl already having flawless on stam chars is not a valid point as this thread is not about flawless being impossible for stam chars, but flawlessly completing the 7th stage on a mag char being ridiculously easier. They could also just make the poison dot tick oblivion damage and thus ignoring shields to remove discrepancies between the classes. There would still be the rng problem though.

Edited by Letho2469 on September 24, 2017 11:51PM
    Trial Progression:
    Options
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    Letho2469 wrote: »
    They could also just make the poison dot tick oblivion damage and thus ignoring shields to remove discrepancies between the classes.

The problem is not in magicka vs stamina, but ranged vs melee. On a ranged caster I don't recall being afflicted with volatile poison there save for few first runs. On melee I pre-emptively disarm the most obvious offenders at the start of a round. Bad RNG (as in complete inability to avoid being poisoned) isn't that common there. I die on a stamsorc to some stupid mistakes there, rarely to RNG (coming too close to the plant is a mistake too, your heavy attacks have a decent 8m range, many skills, like steel tornado/hidden blade, too - use it to your advantage if you can't get closer... even with 2h it's 5-7m on uppercut/reverse slash incl. morphs).
    Options
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that stage 7 is far from RNG makes the point of OP more or less invalid. Even if a spore happen to spawn under the shield on the last boss (while the boss screams) you can avoid it. The "activation-range" isn´t that big so you can´t stand under a shield with a flower/mushroom/spore under it. The best way to avoid getting killed by those is to manually trigger them in the areas where you know you´ve to be later in the stage to kill adds (and yes that is a valid tactic). Decide on which part of the arena you want to be when killing adds and make sure that area is clean from spores all the time. And sometimes I think the Venom-Callers (that makes all spores activate) are a blessing sometimes when there´s a lot of spores in the room.

The spores got some timer where they go off by themselves after a while, but even if you happen to be in the area of the spore you can actually dodge roll through it (while being inside the red) to avoid it. I do agree that the DoT the spores apply have a weird way of ticking and do too much damage, but that´s an opinion for another topic.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kanar wrote: »
    So shields stop that damage? Dang must be nice. Coincidentally my run at flawless today was ruined by this stage. I can make about 10 steps after getting poisoned, which doesn't happen very often. I would be happy if they just fixed it so the poison stops as soon as you enter the circle. Countless times I've died from poison while in the circle. Also fix the enraged attack bug that can happen if you kill the minder at just the right time.

I complete the other stages without problems, too, it's always mushroom rng that ruins my flawless runs on my stam sorc. It's unbelievably unfair: If a mag char gets poisoned all he has to do is recasting a shield while running to a pool. Never had to recast the shield more than 3 times before reaching the pool. A stamina character will mostly die by the 2nd or 3rd poison tick as it does not only deal damage but also places a hefty heal reduction debuff on you. => stam characters are fully countered while magicka characters are nearly not affected by it.
    Brrrofski wrote: »

I disagree as there is no stage that is easier when using a stam char over a mag char. Ppl already having flawless on stam chars is not a valid point as this thread is not about flawless being impossible for stam chars, but flawlessly completing the 7th stage on a mag char being ridiculously easier. They could also just make the poison dot tick oblivion damage and thus ignoring shields to remove discrepancies between the classes. There would still be the rng problem though.

The last round is a lot easier on Stam. You need to dodge roll a fair bit and I found Stam management hard on my mag sorc. Not as much on my mageblade, but it was still really close.
    Options
  • Letho2469
    Letho2469
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    The fact that stage 7 is far from RNG makes the point of OP more or less invalid.
    No it does not. I can only repeat myself: The fact that spores can be avoided by perfect gameplay has absolutely nothing to do with my claim that magicka has ten times more cheese in this stage by using shields. Not everybody plays like Andy S.
    Even if a spore happen to spawn under the shield on the last boss (while the boss screams) you can avoid it. The "activation-range" isn´t that big so you can´t stand under a shield with a flower/mushroom/spore under it.
    Correct, this is fully avoidable on any class and besides even a mag class using shields will(/can?) die when eating a mushroom under a shield as you cannot reach the pool in time.

Just got another run ruined several minutes ago. Fighting endboss => venom caller spawns => bar swap for attacking him and moving in a lil closer => boss bites into back while mushroom spawns directly under my feet => break free+block => dead. break free+dodge roll => dead. ridiculous npc "cliché pvp macro user timing" => dead. Easy. This is very unprobable to happen you might say, but it happens often enough and ofc it happens when you got your flawless still running. Fix the discrepancies between mag and stam and everything is fine as mag will die to rng too then.
    [...] And sometimes I think the Venom-Callers (that makes all spores activate) are a blessing sometimes when there´s a lot of spores in the room.
    Definetely true, yes.
    The spores got some timer where they go off by themselves after a while, but even if you happen to be in the area of the spore you can actually dodge roll through it (while being inside the red) to avoid it.
    Not true. Spore explosions are aoe zones and thus hit through dodgeroll immunity, just tested it.
    I do agree that the DoT the spores apply have a weird way of ticking and do too much damage, but that´s an opinion for another topic.
    It can be used as a solution for this topic's problem, so it's fine here.

Edited by Letho2469 on September 25, 2017 10:06AM
    Trial Progression:
    Options
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. Spore explosions are aoe zones and thus hit through dodgeroll immunity, just tested it.
    What s/he meant was that you can dodge roll out of it. If you're inside of it while the AOE is growing, you're fine. Just make sure you're out of it when explosion happens.

Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many rounds are easier on a Stam toon, several bossees even have lower physical res than spell.

You cant say Stam Sorcs have it hard in vMA surely?

Dodging the spores is easier on a Stam toon anyway which is the real goal
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure the RNG sucks equally on both classes (mag/stam). The idea is avoidance more than damage mitigation, and the RNG doesn't always make that possible, regardless of whether you're mag/stam.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm... You do know why its so random and so punishing right?

Its made to force you to pay attention to your surroundings. Plus you can pop a mushroom yourself by dodgerolling and sprinting through it (it won't touch you). This is actually one of the better mechanics of vMA no matter how much rage and tears and broken keyboards/controllers it caused. Once you understand that these mushrooms are there for you to get better as a player and to teach you to evaluate risks and your surroundings, you'll never die on this Stage.

Now obviously, I've died countless times on this Stage. I've failed Flawless runs heaps of times due to not paying attention to where the mushrooms were. But I'm fairly certain that over 90% of deaths of the playerbase on this Stage is due to player error and not RNG. Mushroom spawns under the Minder? It won't blow up straight away unless you're within 2 meters of it (the radius of the shield is 5 meters). The other 10% is really insanely unlucky situations like for example new mushrooms spawning all around you at exactly the same time as the Venomcaller, which causes all those mushrooms to blow up without any time to react.

If anything I think that the Poison damage should ignore shields, but that wouldn't be consistent with the mechanics of the game.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Letho2469
    Letho2469
    ✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »

Its made to force you to pay attention to your surroundings. Plus you can pop a mushroom yourself by dodgerolling and sprinting through it (it won't touch you). This is actually one of the better mechanics of vMA no matter how much rage and tears and broken keyboards/controllers it caused. Once you understand that these mushrooms are there for you to get better as a player and to teach you to evaluate risks and your surroundings, you'll never die on this Stage.
    (...)

I'm not talking about "ordinary" mushrooms, but by combos like these:

Finghting endboss > mushroom caller spawning (position and time rng as far as I can tell) > bar swap to bow > .... and then sth. happens that put every pvp macro user to shame: boss bites your back at the same time mushroom caller puts a growing shroom under your feet. Even with instant breakfree (I am very good at using break free due to the fact I pvp mainly) there is not a single chance that you get out of it in time.Bite gets you down to 50/60% hp + heavy bleed dot + shroom dot => no *** way to make it to the pool, I was dead in 1 or 2 GCDs. If i had a shield I would have easily done my flawless.

You cant say Stam Sorcs have it hard in vMA surely?

Dodging the spores is easier on a Stam toon anyway which is the real goal
    Stam sorcs run through the stages like a hot knife through butter. But if you eat a mushroom, you are toast.

The last round is a lot easier on Stam. You need to dodge roll a fair bit and I found Stam management hard on my mag sorc. Not as much on my mageblade, but it was still really close.
    It is definetely not >.> All a mag char has to do is keeping the shields up. Where do you have to dodge except for the lightning bolt add spawn?
    Edited by Letho2469 on September 25, 2017 1:09PM
    Trial Progression:
    Options
  • J'skaar Habasi
    OP makes a good point. Stam should have a shield that costs 4k they can spam under every hypothetical situation.

While we're at it, I'm having trouble reaching a 600k score on my mag character. I'd like a magicka version of caltrops, rearming trap. I'd really like a maelstrom weapon that buffs an actual skill as opposed to light or heavy attacks.
    Can I get one of those hurricane things too.

I also get cc'ed a lot. Let's balance that out a bit. My stam characters just laugh when they get cc'ed, it often means death for my mag character.

This is barely acceptable for those of us who want a 600k score on their main mag character.
    Edited by J'skaar Habasi on September 25, 2017 3:01PM
    Options
  • Letho2469
    Letho2469
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please waste your troll breath on another topic, thanks.
    Trial Progression:
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »

(...)

I'm not talking about "ordinary" mushrooms, but by combos like these:

Finghting endboss > mushroom caller spawning (position and time rng as far as I can tell) > bar swap to bow > .... and then sth. happens that put every pvp macro user to shame: boss bites your back at the same time mushroom caller puts a growing shroom under your feet. Even with instant breakfree (I am very good at using break free due to the fact I pvp mainly) there is not a single chance that you get out of it in time.Bite gets you down to 50/60% hp + heavy bleed dot + shroom dot => no *** way to make it to the pool, I was dead in 1 or 2 GCDs. If i had a shield I would have easily done my flawless.

Nah only the position is RNG, the time is set to about 45 seconds IIRC.

By the way I don't know how the Boss' Headbut puts you down to 60% HP, plus you can see it coming pretty easily so... Just block. #mechanics. Now I get that you're talking about the most RNGiest combos, but still your example is flawed: why not just roll dodge closer to the pool, Injection or 2 on the Venomcaller and then keep DPSing the boss. I know that sometimes you get mad RNG and there's nothing you can do about it, but like I said, 90% of the time its avoidable.

Frankly, the poison stage isn't the hardest one for Flawless. Everytime I've done it a Flawless title on one of my characters, the one that had me reset the arena the most was the 5th Stage. Now obviously, when I do my clears I always focus on the score first so I do things very risky most of the time, so that probably plays a big role in the fact that the only source of my deaths nowadays is the 5th Stage. Once you get used to the 7th Stage, its going to take some insane RNG to kill you there (or trying to burn the boss without killing minders...)
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive shown so amny people... all the time...

That there are "Safe spots" which can be used. On twitch on forums... with screenshots sooo many of these posts come on people :open_mouth:
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

Options
  • Letho2469
    Letho2469
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Maelstrom FLAWLESS Guide volume 2 is not available anymore on twitch :/

/edit:
    Appareantly the link in your signature is just broken, I found it under the "Videos" section. And now I really feel damn stupid....... Standing inside the pool is just a damn good idea man. (Although mostly I died when I tried downing one of the two adds he summons).

Nevertheless volume 2 is a great guide!
    Edited by Letho2469 on September 26, 2017 10:50AM
    Trial Progression:
    Options