Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furniture market waaay too slow.

Vimora
Vimora
✭✭✭✭
One would think people that always rush to buy those super expansive homes, like the Linchal Grand Manor, will also want to furnish them. But nope, that's not the case. People always complain that the new purple plans are painfully rare. They go for 250-500k or more. So what I did was I bought one that hasn't been seen before by MM or TTC and tried to craft and sell it to see how profitable it is. It's the Dres divider, you know the one you see in every NPC home in Morrowind. One would think it sells like candy.

Turns out I was mistaken, because it takes days to sell just 1 or 2. I am trying on one of the biggest guilds in Rawl'kha at the standard 10k price per piece these purples tend to go for. I will need to sell 60 to break even on the 250k recipe price, which will probably not happen in less than 100+ days.

I really do not get it.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think many in the game (myself included) have this really weird thing about buying furnishings vs just buying designs and making their own.

I don't know why we're like it, but we are.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I think many in the game (myself included) have this really weird thing about buying furnishings vs just buying designs and making their own.

yes, this. there's something far more satisfying about making your own. for me at least.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I can't relate to that.
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree completely. If there is a piece I want for my home I will buy the plan at 5x the price of the furnishing and make it myself.

It doesn't make much practical sense, but that's how it is.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aeslief wrote: »

I agree completely. If there is a piece I want for my home I will buy the plan at 5x the price of the furnishing and make it myself.

But I'm talking about great house purple pieces. You don't just buy the plan for those. Or maybe you do if you can grind 100k a day, but that's not a pleasant gaming experience.
  • SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried making a furniture business when housing first came out....set up a large shop, and made practically one of everything I could craft, and set them up as displays.

It was pretty popular at first, but QUICKLY died off, as like the posters above me have said, the majority of people would rather search for the plan and make their own, even if that means they never actually find it.

I think if they got more people into housing, this market would open up immensely. There are lots of people that don't do crafting...if you could get THEM into a house, furniture would move. But that isn't going to happen until they add some utility to housing, like being able to store things in them.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried making a furniture business when housing first came out....set up a large shop, and made practically one of everything I could craft, and set them up as displays.

It was pretty popular at first, but QUICKLY died off, as like the posters above me have said, the majority of people would rather search for the plan and make their own, even if that means they never actually find it.

I think if they got more people into housing, this market would open up immensely. There are lots of people that don't do crafting...if you could get THEM into a house, furniture would move. But that isn't going to happen until they add some utility to housing, like being able to store things in them.

I've actually been toying with the same idea. A furniture shop as an experiment or a passion project. Not necessarily for profits. If I can just make one person happy a day, because they found something they like, I would pretty much just give it away at mat cost.

On the other hand my spending on housing and furniture is bordering on 5mil now so I kinda don't want that to go to waste.
  • MasterLenman
    MasterLenman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the crown store. Some people won't buy anything ever from guild vendors and just go with crowns.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shows that the Homestead surge is long over. Most people don't bother with housing or already have all they want. The bubble definitely has burst.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, do you prefer to learn to fish once and for all, or to pay a fisherman on a fish-per-fish basis all your life ?

I guess that's the reasoning here. At least, it's my reasoning.

Another reason is that the housing item limit is far too low. Many people have reached it already and don't look for further items, because they couldn't place it anyway. They rather go for the full collection of blueprints.
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on September 22, 2017 2:12PM
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have it priced fairly. For me personally, some things I wait to buy until the market stabilizes some and more diagrams are learned by more players.

There's a few guys on PS4 NA that try to corner the market every time new housing stuff comes out.

I just simply refuse to buy anything from them.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vimora
    It sounds like you need help from Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jubP3t27IQ
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Much like the Bouyant Armiger motif, these furniture plans have been made purposefully impossibly rare to encourage selling on the crown store instead. Bouyant Armiger is going to be in crown freakin' crates for the love of Azura.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the problem is also that most want to keep an style or want special items.
    They will probably ask in guild chat if some can make it as you do for crafted armor.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, I never think about buying furniture from say a Guild Store. Not that I have anything intrinsically against it, I just don't think about it.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same, rather buy recipe.

But whats stopping me now furnishing more is the dumb limit on stuff I can put in my house. With a large house I furnished my garden and and had no items left for the house. So had to reign back the garden to allow me to fill partially inside.

I'm eso plus and it still not enough to do what I want to do.
    Edited by SquareSausage on September 22, 2017 2:39PM
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the PS4 NA, a guild store search for purple furnishing recipes will pull up a bunch of Daedric plans and little else. It's been like this since they raised the prices of the Hlaalu Furisher's Document to 25 writs. Totally killed the market.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm actually part of the minority who prefers buying things other people crafted. I have nowhere near enough recipes if I wanted to craft my own furniture. I want my homes to look coherent so I need to rely on other people.

I think the main part of the OP problem is housing is not as popular anymore because people have already decorated their homes or are bored with it. I buy and decorate cheap houses for fun so housing isn't dead for me yet
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    People don't seem to want to pay more than 5k for pieces, give-take. This doesn't cover the mat costs for blacksmithing or woodworking purples, let alone the cost of the recipe (as you saw with the divider). I have better luck with alchemy and enchanting pieces, but only because they tend to be cheaper to make so I can price then lower.

I'm jealous you got that plan, though - I've never even seen it in a store. :smiley:
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • NetViperX
    NetViperX
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a dedicated crafter I buy the schematic any time I can. The only time I buy a piece of furniture is if the schematic is extremely overpriced or unavailable and I only need one item of that type. I bought the Breton Chandelier and Mirror from the guild vendor, but for chairs and such, always the schematic.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »
    Aeslief wrote: »

But I'm talking about great house purple pieces. You don't just buy the plan for those. Or maybe you do if you can grind 100k a day, but that's not a pleasant gaming experience.

oh you would be surprised. I have bought many an expensive furnishing pattern and then only used it once. the feeling of "if I decide to use it again in another home, maybe at some point - I can just craft it instead of looking for it?" is very VERY nice
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, I've had way more luck selling more practical items, such as the target skeletons. But most of the posters above are how I feel - I like the feeling of having made everything in my house (that I could, anyway, I mean I've bought a lot of achievement doodads).

You might want to go a different direction and advocate your services as a crafter and let people come to you with specific demands. It's what I do for friends - they know to give me the mats or gold and I'll take care of it.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's called "the illusion of ownership." ;)
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The supply is a lot higher than the demand generally. Far as supply goes...You still may be able to sell some of the rarer items - when Vvardenfell launched, I may have shamelessly made like a million selling some Telvanni stuff for 20k a piece(and they sold within minutes) because I was literally the first on the server to find it and people wanted it, but prices naturally dropped as more people got the recipe plus most people who wanted the thing already got it; now that very item goes for 5-6k at most. You are not the only one with that divider(anymore) plus the "oooo new fancy thing that they just introduced yesterday!" is gone now so you won't be selling them fast.

Then there's the general lack of demand for furniture stuff. A recipe is one thing, not just it satsifies our completionist urges but it also takes 0 space. A furniture now...it's gonna take space so you need to have a place for it, but current item limits are severely limitings creativity, which means most people actively interested in housing are already at item limit and cannot use that divider even if they want to.

Zenimax really needs to give housing more depth or at the very least increase the caps twofold, otherwise it's just gonna slowly die both as an ingame activity(which they probably don't care about) and a possible Crown Store income(which they most probably do care about).
    Edited by Magdalina on September 22, 2017 3:40PM
  • mbaranski15
    mbaranski15
    ✭✭

This is very true. Furnishing homes could be so much better than it is. Right now recipes are too expensive to buy, and too rare to find. Then to craft the items, the resources needed are too high (unless you've been playing for years and have massive stockpiles of mats).

Decorating homes could be a lot more fun if things weren't so stringent. The market could be better if there was some incentive to buy recipes, but for newer players there isn't very much incentive if you barely have the resources to craft 1 or 2 purple items.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Okay this is an easy one, it's that damn guild trader system! Let me explain, I can't tell you how annoying it is to look for the one piece of furniture you want for hours jumping from guild Trader to guild trader. It can take for ever to find the right chair(s) and the amount you need.

You might find 1 chair but need 6 you might find one bookshelf but need 2.

This is why it's just easier to buy the blueprints then the mats and make what you need. No one in there right mind is going to spend hours(yes it's hours) searching for the right thing in the right amount. BTW this is on xb we don't have those cool addOns that make life better.

Right now the best way to buy already crafted gear is to ask in guild chat if anyone already has it. Then you send them the mats and they make it for free.

Another issue is when people price there furniture they way over price the item. IMO furniture should cost the same as the mats used to make it. Most time you will see a chair that cost about 2-3k to craft and people are trying to sell it for 50k.
  • Queo
    Queo
    ✭✭✭

Prime u hit the nail square on the head. Majority of house owners are Guild Masters (using as a guild hall), Crafters, or RPers. That group of people have access to furniture makers.

there is a lot of other players who don't care about houses, until they get more utility other then a hang out place...
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the conclusion has been reached that housing is just a gold/time sink and a way for Zenimax to make tons of money. Given how it serves these purposes extremely well, don't expect anything to change. Ever.

Disappointing.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another example just came to mind that happened a few days ago. I found this really awesome-looking Nord carpet recipe that looked like the hide of a bear (head included), so I couldn't resist, I bought it for 100k. Dumb, I know. But I thought it looks unique enough, I can make some money with this.

I crafted one, next thing I know MMgives me something like this: 3 sales in 12 days, 3850g. I was shocked, that's about the mat cost of the item (being purple). So I just spent 100k on something that probably won't give me a cent return.

And I know what you're thinking. Why would crafters deserve profit? It's not like crafing is harder than pressing a button.
    • It takes time to find the pretty rare crafting mats at appropiate prices
    • It takes space to store them.
    • It takes trader space to post them.
    • It took time to level up my craft, plus many skill points to make it work.

I don't even know what I want to say, but this is frustrating.
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lux furniture reselling seems to be a nice market.
    Xbox One Na