Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which mount or costume offends you the most lore-wise?

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
And which lore-appropriate mount or costume would you most like to see?
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Page for reference.

I don't care for the Dwemer bears, wolves etc. They don't match the style of existing Dwemer automata, and more importantly they stink of a lack of creativity.

I'd also like more explanation for the Doom Wolf - okay, it was bred from timber wolves. But where did the glowing eyes come from, and why aren't these things in any of the other games? (Actually, the last applies to all the wolf mounts, as well as the elk and to a lesser extent the bear mounts, although a bear mount appeared in one of the books and thus wasn't completely out of nowhere. They dilute the uniqueness of Tamriel and push it towards being just another boring fantasy setting.)

For ones I would like to see, I'd like the Yokudan Chargers back and an Echatere mount would be cool. And by cool I mean, 'we could have drunken Echatere racing for New Life Festival.' I could see an Elytra being used as a mount. Maybe a Welwa.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Page for reference.

I don't care for the Dwemer bears, wolves etc. They don't match the style of existing Dwemer automata, and more importantly they stink of a lack of creativity.

I'd also like more explanation for the Doom Wolf - okay, it was bred from timber wolves. But where did the glowing eyes come from, and why aren't these things in any of the other games? (Actually, the last applies to all the wolf mounts, as well as the elk and to a lesser extent the bear mounts, although a bear mount appeared in one of the books and thus wasn't completely out of nowhere. They dilute the uniqueness of Tamriel and push it towards being just another boring fantasy setting.)

For ones I would like to see, I'd like the Yokudan Chargers back and an Echatere mount would be cool. And by cool I mean, 'we could have drunken Echatere racing for New Life Festival.' I could see an Elytra being used as a mount. Maybe a Welwa.

other then the spider mount the other dwarven mounts I think are similar to sotha sils clockwork atomaton. less to do with actual dwemer works.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emperor costume . It's just silly to think we have tens of thousands of of former Emperors running around Tamriel .
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The spider mount and any armor that is dyed that bright red from the crown store.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing in ESO offends me on a personal level (as I can separate fiction from reality), but there are plenty of decisions that insult the established lore. Chief among these are the flashy clown crate mounts. Beyond that, my concern is not with the aesthetic possibilites, but rather the aesthetic probabilities. Is it possible for a male orc to run around in a glamorous wedding dress? Yes. Is it probable? B'vehk, no, get that away from me. More gender-based restrictions would help to make the game more believable and immersive.
    Edited by MythicEmperor on September 3, 2017 6:58PM
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offended? Another word overly used like "toxic". Fantasy games are just that, lore is too confining of a rule.especially when it's not up to players to define what the lore is.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    Offended? Another word overly used like "toxic". Fantasy games are just that, lore is too confining of a rule.especially when it's not up to players to define what the lore is.

Sure, but this the lore forum. Being offended by dev choices is part of the package. Also asked is which things would people want to see :smiley:
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also like more explanation for the Doom Wolf - okay, it was bred from timber wolves. But where did the glowing eyes come from, and why aren't these things in any of the other games?

I figured the eyes thing was a reference to Shadowmere, but that doesn't really address the core issue.

For me it's probably the Attronach mounts. I mean, yeah, they're cool looking, but what the actual snot?

I can live with the dwemer mounts, but they do look more like fabricants. The Wild Hunt mounts are weird, but... eh, whatever. But, the Attronach mounts? Ugh.

The Plague Doctor outfit is a bit weird as well. Not that it offends me, just... "wait, why is this here, again? In a setting where you can cure diseases with a common potion?"
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike the Dwarven Spider mounts tbh.

Mainly it's the super flashy mounts made for Crown Crates that annoy me though if anything.

People buy em for crazy prices so ZOS is more than happy to oblige by making lots of them.... just how it is :unamused:
  • ChibchanLawyer
    Well, I've never really been lore-triggered by any particular mount or costume, but I definetely have my reservations with the Skyrim Ice Horse. I know, I know, it's no longer in the Crown Store and it was a fan favorite classic, but I just couldn't get my head around it. The White Mane horse supposedly is a mixed breed with the Skyrim Ice Horse, so is the Ice Horse a common horse in Skyrim? Or is it just one summoned like a Frost Atronach? I don't know, it just didn't made any sense to me lore-wise, but for aesthetic purposes of player customization, it's good as gold.

As for the wish-list or whatever, I'd like more Argonian-oriented mounts, sure we had the Hist Guar, and a couple of limited Kagoutis, but how cool would a Giant Alligator Mount or a Wamasu Mount be.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elven Hero Armor. The men's version just isn't faithful to the lores of the live action trailer. :lol:

Honest answer: I'm somewhat weirded out by dwarven automatons that serve as mounts but I can't put my finger on why.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am deeply offended every time a excessivley muscular bearded male orc tanking in a wedding dress

because my execivley muscular, wedding dress wearing female nord isnt aloud to equip a beard :(
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Gods damned dwarven spider mount, its completely ridiculous. -_-
  • Volsera
    Volsera
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about the costumes. The crown mounts are *** but I want a Wamasu mount, I just NEED it
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All the dwemer mounts are horrible, and not lore friendly, in my opinion. Also those lions...I´d like to see more guar. They are the basic domestic multipurpose animal of half the Tamriel continent. They should be sold in stables in Morrowind and Shadowfen.
    Edited by TelvanniWizard on September 4, 2017 7:23PM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All the dwemer crap
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i keep seeing all this talk of not lore friendly. but really if they put it in the game it becomes lore. they decide it not us.

Lore is a tangible, malleable, imaginative creature. with each game it expands. with each dlc and chapter it grows.

the world of tamriel has many odd and wonderous things. as well as many frightening and mind boggoling things.

why anyone would be up in arms over mounts or costumes is beyond me. in fact i go above and beyond to make all my toons look as npc like as possible. but it does not bother me when others people toons do not. They are just dressing how theu want and riding how they want. :)

and do they not add a little paragraph to each thing that explains the lore of it?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i keep seeing all this talk of not lore friendly. but really if they put it in the game it becomes lore. they decide it not us.

Ubisoft probably felt the same way about the HoMM series; that's how they lost me as a customer.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ubisoft probably felt the same way about the HoMM series; that's how they lost me as a customer.

Yeah, but at least we got Dishonored of Might and Magic out of the deal.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The dro'martha skin on anyone that isn't a khajiit

Amber plasm on anyone that isn't an argonian.

The ice horse.

The storm atronach...camel. Lol a storm atronach camel.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clowns. Just...clowns, walking around among the normal people as if they weren't horrific evil terrors that the city guard should be all over. PROTECT US FROM THE FREAKING CLOWNS YOU LAZY GUARDS.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are the costumes that really offend my eye. Most of them seem to me to be inspired more by Hollywood or Disneyland than anything seen before in the Elder Scrolls.

uThio1f.png

The groom's and the noble's outfits seem like they're from the wrong era and the wrong genre. One from a vampire movie set in the 19th century and the other from pirate movie set in the 17th century. The Jester's suit just seems to relate to nothing else in the game, and looks about as authentic as something you might see in a Disneyland pageant (accompanied by knights dressed in chain mail knitted out of string).

t4R8jsn.png

The riding costume looks like something out of a Hollywood Western, again totally unauthentic and totally out of place. The off the shoulder dress again from the wrong era, and perhaps more suited to Gone with the Wind.

As for the Jungle dress, it is exactly the sort of thing that a modern-day young woman might wear on her way to the beach. She's even got her flip-flops on. I keep looking around for the dude with the surfboard.

How these costumes got past any type of lore QA and into the game I just do not understand.

I'm not bothered by the mounts. Magic is magic. Dwemer tech scales up and down. Not a problem. If they put in a dwemer mount that looked exactly like a harley that would be a problem for me.
    PC EU
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fire/ice horses, and the atronach mounts. The dwemer mounts don't look like anything the dwemer built before (the spiders being the exception).

My characters just use a basic horse or guar... or a senche if they're feeling fancy.
    PC-EU
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't say it "offends" me, but ...
    There are some costumes that look like they're from the 1700s/1800s that look out of place in Tamriel. I wish they'd stop releasing costumes like that. One time I saw a thread that was requesting a modern-looking French maid costume. Oh Holy God no. It would be so out of place. :#
  • Alucu
    Alucu
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, not all the playerbase in ESO are actual fans of the TES saga, they stumbled upon ESO like they would on any other MMO, they have to cater to that public as well. And there the game shifts from Tamriel uniqueness
    Building communities since 2017

Para los Jugadores Hispanos: LA FUNDACION GM
    For advanced PvE: DRAGON VOID Officer
    For advanced PvP: PROJECT NOVA Member
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Guar and Wooly Mammoth mounts FTW

-as in, i'd like to have them. As far as costumes, I'll admit some seem...odd. Could be worse though
    Edited by Glockcoma725 on September 5, 2017 1:27PM
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The riding costume looks like something out of a Hollywood Western...

Fun trivia... that riding outfit would look out of place in a 1940s western. That specific style of leather corset is very new. I want to say sometime in the last 30 years. It gets used in historical pieces, but there's no actual basis for it. So, a film shot today set in the 19th century might use one, but you wouldn't see one historically.
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always amazed whenever I see lorists who make a big deal of mounts yet hold MK's crazy fanfic as TES gospel. Not referring to anyone here specifically, it's just something I've seen a lot.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The riding costume looks like something out of a Hollywood Western...

Fun trivia... that riding outfit would look out of place in a 1940s western. That specific style of leather corset is very new. I want to say sometime in the last 30 years. It gets used in historical pieces, but there's no actual basis for it. So, a film shot today set in the 19th century might use one, but you wouldn't see one historically.

I was thinking of more modern Westerns, e.g. Bandidas 2006. The ESO riding outfit looks very similar to the costumes in that film.
    PC EU
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible for a male orc to run around in a glamorous wedding dress? Yes. Is it probable? B'vehk, no, get that away from me. More gender-based restrictions would help to make the game more believable and immersive.

Are you assuming those orcs gender? :smiley:

Seriously tho, khajit riding senches.. I'm not sure why, and there is lore basis for it, just don't seem right!!? It'd be like having human mounts piggy-backing human races around... weird