Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Possible Driver Crash?

SilentRaven1972
SilentRaven1972
✭✭✭✭
I've been getting random crashes mid-game. The game will freeze, and a Windows error msg will pop up saying ESO has stopped working, and that it's looking for a solution. Then it has me close the game. This happened tonight, and also caused voice to stop working in Discord. Is my video driver crashing, or is some other nefarious daedric gremlin at work?
"Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Random crashes while playing could be caused by a variety of different things. To get started in troubleshooting these crashes, you should go through the troubleshooting listed below.

Check graphics card drivers and settings

Download and install latest drivers for your graphics card:

Repair the game client

To repair the game client, open the ESO Launcher, click Game Options, and then select Repair.

Remove any mods or add-ons

Turn off or remove all mods or add-ons you have installed.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue since Horns, my game is randomly freezing while the sound is playing normal. But the crashreport from Windows dosnt Show up every time.

My graphic card Driver (Radeon RX 580) is up to date, Radeon 17.8.2

I will try the repair and add ons next.

My huseband own the same PC as me, only another graphic card (Radeon RX 480) and dont have this issues.

PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit
  • UncleRiot
    UncleRiot
    Same here,
    since a few days (2-3) lots of crashes, nvidia 1080 - before these days not one crash in ESO.
    Crashes in random situations.

Last windows update installations on 8th of august.
    Newest nvidia driver (385.41)

ESO repair allready done.
    Addons allready deactivated. Only ESO crashing.

Next thing I do, is installing an older nvidia driver, to see, if this is an issue.
    Software installed in the past days:
    - Intel Rapid Storage-Technologie
    - Destiny 2 and Blizzard App (for the beta)
    - Teamspeak update
    - Teamviewer update

I try to figure the issue out.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still have testing to do, but after disabling add-ons, then activating a couple at a time, I didn't "seem" to have any issues. I need to run a longer test. Prior to working with the add-ons, everything was updated and the way I have my sound set up has been changed (was using a splitter for speakers/headset), but was still getting the crash.

Now that you guys mention it, it was hitting after the last big update, just varied in how long between crashes. I'll keep poking, but if anyone finds a culprit, please post the suspect! Thanks :)
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • UncleRiot
    UncleRiot
    What I did and what helped since my last post:
    - Installation of an older Nvidia driver: 384.94-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql
    - Uninstall of Intel Rapid Storage-Technologie (must have come through a windows update...)

No crash for the last hours ... but let's see...
  • UncleRiot
    UncleRiot
    Update:
    Playing now for a lot of hours more without one crash, so my suspicion hardened. that the issue is:
    - Intel Rapid Storage-Technology Driver (through Windows Update, without my notice)
    and/or
    - Actual Nvidia Driver (but I dont believe so at the moment)

The Intel driver is suspected to interact negative with different kind of software-product.
    Sources: Manifold in the internet
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the intel driver, but did update my Nvidia driver. Haven't crashed so far, but now add ons are doing odd things. My vamp bite cool-down timer vanished. Also had all my house furnishings vanish, through several character changes, until I completely shut the game down and relogged.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A few things you could try.

- Lower your graphics setting in game settings.
    - Disable all addons then try playing.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)